The Angle when you Dangle ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Feeder or tip fishing

Now when I cast a tip rod out, I feather it down then lay the rod in the rest, tighten up to what I consider the appropriate tension and have the rod at an angle, useally between 30 and 45 degrees of where the feeder or bomb has hit the water and is laying

but, being bored in this freezing cold period of lockdown, Ive been awatching a few instructional video clips of far better anglers than I am, laying the rod down, pointing straight out to the feeder

why is that, ? (the vids dont explain it)

surely a bite, tap or knock, shows better at the rested rod angle as I normally do, or am I missing summat here ?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Funnily enough, I watched a Tom Pickering vid last night about the basics of feeder fishing & he advised as you say....rod at an angle, despite what many others are doing.

juttle

Grumpy old cripple
Site Supporter
I’ve always done as you do, tighten up at an angle and watch the tip. The only time I’d tighten up with the rod pointing at the feeder is on the rare occasions when I use a Polaris type float.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve always gone with the more barbel/sea fishing approach of point the rod roughly towards where I’ve cast with the angle created by pointing the rod skywards. Obviously not right up in the air like the barbel/sea style but at enough of an angle to put a bend in the tip and keep a fair bit of line off the water.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I’ve always gone with the more barbel/sea fishing approach of point the rod roughly towards where I’ve cast with the angle created by pointing the rod skywards. Obviously not right up in the air like the barbel/sea style but at enough of an angle to put a bend in the tip and keep a fair bit of line off the water.
You wouldn’t do that on Stillwater though 🤷‍♂️ On carp venues, with method, bomb etc, My rod is more or less in front of me, just a slight angle, I’m not looking for little taps and knocks, can still see liners, or proper bites

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You wouldn’t do that on Stillwater though 🤷‍♂️
Probably would through not knowing any better 😂 That one bream session is my only Stillwater feeder experience that I recall and I did the same there just out of habit.

Deejay8

Site Supporter
The only explanation I can think of is that it's a self hooking rig, with no need to read the proper bites, because the rod is almost wrenched off the rest, and it means liners don't show up as much. But if it's a running rig, or fishing for silvers, then I would have thought it would be harder to spot bites.

Total

Site Supporter
Feeder or tip fishing

Now when I cast a tip rod out, I feather it down then lay the rod in the rest, tighten up to what I consider the appropriate tension and have the rod at an angle, useally between 30 and 45 degrees of where the feeder or bomb has hit the water and is laying

but, being bored in this freezing cold period of lockdown, Ive been awatching a few instructional video clips of far better anglers than I am, laying the rod down, pointing straight out to the feeder

surely a bite, tap or knock, shows better at the rested rod angle as I normally do, or am I missing summat here ?
Stay as you are, you're doing nothing wrong....;)(y)

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Why not have a look and see if any of these anglers in the videos do live Q&A sessions and join in and ask them about why they do it?

smiffy

Site Supporter
I was taught to fish a waggler rod at an angle when fishing up in the water for Carp as the takes could be so savage that you needed the absorbency of the rod to avoid break offs. Same must surely apply to feeder fishing? I can only imagine, like chefster describes, there’s a minimal angle there. Just enough to see bites.
I always have an angle,about the same as you describe.

DaveGas

The only different thing I do is when fishing bomb and pellet I tighten up until I feel the bomb then move/wind about another foot of line to straighten the hook length out which usually helps with a more positive bite :)

Line Clip

Feeder or tip fishing

mbuna_matt

I think in some cases it has to do with fishing to a line clip, seem to recall watching Des Shipp on a Preston video who was hitting the clip and dropping his rod straight. In some ways if your tight to a feature I can see a logic as the fish can only run right / left still maintaining a 90 deg between tip and line pull.....that said I can't bring myself to do it.

Line Clip

A lot of the top feeder anglers point the rod at the feeder, they say the line sinks straight to the feeder quicker with direct
contact and no bow in the line, I think it is used more when fishing to islands, but if you notice the angler is well of the water, and so there fore
the angle of the rod is pointing down at the water, so when they get a pull the tip comes in an upward direction.
Lee Kerry, Andy Finley, Nick Speed Des Ship use this method. but I think its a commercial thing.
Waters I fish unless the clutch was set light, the line would break, or the rod would be in.
I like most, like to watch the tip on an angle, great feeling when it goes round 90 deg and the pole angler on the next peg shouts
not again you jammy sod.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’m more 30* rather than 45* I’ve tried 45* like Nicky but, it just doesn’t feel right to me. Im too old skool.