The "AliExpress tat you never knew you needed" thread.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
it's just a copy of a Solar product. Naturally, it doesn't have the carp tax and a whopping Solar premium applied.

DFL

Site Supporter
The best thing about Ali Express is forgetting you ever bought it by the time it arrives.

buygoodtackle

I have got some Mountain skin trousers from Ali and they are the warmest and comfiest I've ever had, cost £17 if I remember, been going 3 years now. If I ever need a new pair I will replace with same. Have also got a jacket for day to day wear, waterproof and comfortable to wear, just have to look carefully at the sizes, generally order 2 sizes bigger or 3 to be on safe side;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The jackets do look good for the money but don't say if waterproof or not

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
This is actually a really good deal for any lure chuckers.

Caldia CS LT reels for £86. Zaion body, Magsealed and 7+1 bearings, its actually same body family as a Prorex V LT ( fantastic reel) which retail for £100. But this has magsealed goodness. 3000 weighs only 195g.

Last edited:

SerialBlanker

Site Supporter
A lot of the branded items on aliexpress are fakes. I buy a lot of swivels, beads, anti tangle sleeves etc off there.
Just took a gamble and ordered a deeper sonar knock off for £50. Wanted one for a while but only to play with so didn't want to fork out £200

62tucker

Site Supporter
Lad I worked with bought some fake Nike trainers and the sole must of been made of cheap sponge. The inch heel was about 1/4 inch after a month.
You can get half decent fakes but also some rubbish out there.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I wonder how many fake covid masks are in use around the world.
millions ?

adriang

Site Supporter
I buy a few bits and pieces off Ali, usually when somebody shares a deal on lures, but I did get some of the rubber float stops that were good.

About clothing, if you're tempted, check the sizing carefully.. Asian sizing, mixed with adhering to general standards... My father, who is on the larger size, ordered a fishing 'waistcoat', he already ordered in a larger size than usual, when it arrived.. I'd say its XL at best.. I ran into a similar issue with some thermal socks..

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I often wonder if rather than fakes they're coming out of the same factories as used to make the 'branded' gear.

Yeah and probably substitute cheaper materials to make more money.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Pack of 20 curve shank, high carbon steel, teflon coated barbless hooks in size 6 or 8.

£2.59 posted

Considering i pay £4.50 for a 10 pack of ESP Cryogen i think these are a good deal :)

I'll put my money where my mouth is and order a couple packs, see what theyre like (y)

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Pack of 20 curve shank, high carbon steel, teflon coated barbless hooks in size 6 or 8.

£2.59 posted

Considering i pay £4.50 for a 10 pack of ESP Cryogen i think these are a good deal :)

I'll put my money where my mouth is and order a couple packs, see what theyre like (y)

Got my hooks in size 8.

20210226_003112.jpg

Seem to be really good quality for the price, nice and sharp and seem strong. They are a little undersized, look to be same pattern as an ESP Cryogen curve shank but fall in between ESP's size 8 and 10.

Look to be really worth a go if you get through loads of Barbel hooks.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I often wonder if rather than fakes they're coming out of the same factories as used to make the 'branded' gear.
Having contracted manufacturing to Chinese companies with the last company I worked for I can tell you that businesses making products for western companies never sell similar products anywhere else. If you own a British fishing reel company and get a company in China to manufacture for you they will never sell fishing reels of their own. If they did they would soon be forced out of business.

Companies manufacturing for western businesses have super modern high tech factories. Those manufacturing to sell through ali express are very grotty tin pot companies.