The Adventures of Reg !

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Couple of years back

One of my Mums cousins died, Reg, the subject of the title post

he was a strange old sod, Harmless but a bit low on the learning scale of things educationally, his career consisted of being a road sweeper for Dover district council, He was at it for years until the council went out to tender and they cut staff and retired him

liked his fishing, salt water off the piers and beaches of the aforementioned town, lived alone for years after his mum died,

he used to turn up at mums every now and then, who apart from a brother he aint seen for aons, who lives up in a care home up to the north, sunderland way, is/was his only living relative

well like I said he died, was left to Mum to sort his funeral and everything, well it was a bit much for her so I gave her a hand with it all, found out where he went and who his friends were, organised the cremation, gave age concern some loot to hold a party for him after that, cleared his flat, all the normal stuff, sorted

Well, Mum mentioned that Reg wanted his ashes scattered on his mums grave, therein comes the quandry, Regs mum got remarried in later life and no one can remember her second name, Mum can remember going to the funeral, but as shes getting a bit old only remembers it was in dover, not which cemetary, so that routes pretty short

So Ive still got his ahes in a little sealed casket thing, not really knowing what to do with them, found him today in the back of the van as I was tidying it, hes been in there since I picked him up, had a little conversation with him, I gotta giggle really he has been to probably more places than he went to in the last 20 years of his life with me

spoke to mum about him again today, and said shall I scatter them over to the Sea at shakespere beach in dover, he was always happy there ?

62tucker

Site Supporter
I think it’s actually illegal to spread ashes on a grave. We looked into putting Mam and dads ashes on full up family grave. Council told us we would need 2 separate urns and had to be done by them. Sure it was £500 each.
So still in sweet jars

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think it’s actually illegal to spread ashes on a grave. We looked into putting Mam and dads ashes on full up family grave. Council told us we would need 2 separate urns and had to be done by them. Sure it was £500 each.
So still in sweet jars
you aint far wrong there, you have to get permission and the council charge for it, I was gonna wander up there at night to do it iffin I found the grave

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
We scattered my mums and dads ashes over their garden... who's gonna worry about it... and both of em loved their garden.... and what harm is it doing...?

Chervil

Site Supporter
In the 80s, when I was stationed at Netheravon, a wife requested that her late husband's ashes, he had served there during the war, were spread over the airfield.
A good friend of mine, George, happily sat in the back of a Scout, whilst it flew over the field and scattered said ashes. The wife was very happy and was taken away for some refreshments.
George disappeared into the hanger and returned with a vacuum to suck up the majority of the dear departed, that had just blown straight back into the helicopter.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
When I die I want to come back as a dolphin {got the conk for it}, the way they glide through the water and seem so happy.

John Step

Site Supporter
A group of us own a lake outright/freehold. Any old club member is welcome to be spread around the lake after cremation. There have been 3 so far. I hope its a few years before my turn comes.

bluemack

Site Supporter
So still in sweet jars
Who,s gonna know mate?

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
So still in sweet jars
It's only illegal if you get caught