The adventures of Mrs Munch 2021 part ???? I've no idea

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
As it's been a while since I wrote a post I thought I'd better do an update.

I've been rather frustrated with my fishing over the last few weeks/months. Not that it's stopped me fishing, or catching or even from beating the Mr for that matter. Just the set up and equipment hasn't felt quite right.

My frustrations started when I bought my new tri-cast 12ft commercial rod (Think that's what it was. I'm sure @MunchMyStump will correct me if not). Sadly, me and the rod did not make friends. I could not cast for toffee. All the weeks and months of hard work felt wasted. Don't get me wrong. The rod is beautiful and very smooth. There was a real difference in the feel but it seems it had a mind of it's own. But as I like a challenge..... hence why I'm with The Mr..... I persevered, I still can't cast to the same spot as I always over shoot it and/or it goes off to one side but I have learned how to manoeuvre to where I want it. I have also struggled to find a comfortable place to have the rod without my chair legs etc getting in the way. Another frustration was finding where to put my bank stick for my rod rest when setting up. It took way to long to adjust and readjust so I was comfortable. In the end I have purchased two arms that fit nicely on my chair legs. One to the front and one back. That problem at least was solved. As a bonus they also fold up with my chair so I don't have to mess about taking them on and off.

A few weeks ago the Mr was becoming more and more interested in fishing on method feeder. I was adamant I was not ready to try this as I was still trying to iron out my frustrations. I did however watch the Mr while he was using his and could see the benefits. I have never fancied fishing on the pole. I feel it looses a lot of the fun. I enjoy casting and feeling the bend in the rod when you catch a juicy one, i think the pole looses that. The method feeder seems to have the benefits of the pole but keeps the joy that fishing on a rod brings. Over the next couple of weeks my interest grew. So, when the Mr got some new feeder rod. Leaving the old one spare..... well! it would be rude not to.

And that brings me onto Yesterdays outing and a first method feeder outing.

We were up somewhat later than normal and set off for Sunrise lakes again at about 9:45ish. We decided to go to the pegs we were at a fortnight earlier when the Mr nearly took my head off twice with a couple of stray method feeders, accidently apparently.... hmmmm! There was a choice of three pegs. I did not like the one I were on before, one which the Mr fished before was surrounded by reeds and didn't feel that learning a new method and trying to navigate the reeds were a good decision so I took the other. I had some reeds to the left of me and a battered lily pad to the right on a corner. I had a lot of new things to think about and do when setting up. The Mr had to show me how to set up the method feeder (which only took about 2 mins of his precious set up time). I was comfortable enough doing the rest. I had also bought some scales from RiteTackle. Really simple analogue design that screw on between your net and net handle. Very handy and they were really helpful to me as I was trying to learn about the size and weight of fish and not get conned by the Mr lolz :p The set up was a lot quicker, no plumbing up, no shots to add etc. So much easier. I was soon ready to go.

As we were not meant to be competing and the Mr still brought a truck load of gear to set up. I had no intension of wasting half the day for the Mr to set up so I started.

I was very nervous about overhead casting with the new rod so I thought I'd build confidence underarm casting and fishing near to my peg. I started just using method pellets in the feeder, a bright orange wafter and a chuck of JD hemp near the lilies to my right and much to my surprise I had one in the net straight away, followed by another and then another in rather quick succession. WOW! I couldn't believe it. I'm liking this already. Although I fear The Mr was not feeling the same as he still hadn't caught.
It was then that @Dave then turned with George. So as not to be rude I hung up my rod and went over to the Mr's peg for a chat. The Mr soon had George sat on his box using his new rods..... Hmmmm! same ones I'm NOT allowed to use!!!...... I see how it is..... Another black mark on the Mr's card! Although the annoyance was short lived when young George only went and bagged one. The Mr not only been out fished by me but by a 7 year old too. Life is sweet. As soon as the fish was netted and photo'd the Mr was straight back on his box while I stood chatting with Dave. Now some might see this as an unfair advantage having more fishing time but as I had started a little earlier then he did and the fact during the whole time that Dave was there he didn't even catch a fly. I'd say it balanced out.
Not long after Dave had left he did actually start to catch.

I carried on doing rather well but had some quite spells. I was swapping where I fished from right to left and back. I also swapped from just using soaked method pellets to ground bait in the bottom of the feeder then hook n wafter and topped off with the pellets. This worked quite well. So much so that the Mr decided to give it a go as sadly he was really struggling. Time went on, I was still doing well but I was broken off a few times and snagged in reeds and lilies a few times. After I was broken off for the 3rd time I decided I needed to learn how to overhead cast. GULP! I had not been looking forward to this. Trying to remember what Dave had told the Mr earlier! I practiced casting with just the feeder on and no hook. The darn thing shot across the bank and nearly into the field opposite. Oh dear! Maybe that was a little too hard. A few more tries and when I thought I'd found a good spot I hooked the line round the line clip and casted again..... Oppps! still a little long. A couple more goes and I had it. Casting nicely to roughly the same spot. Nice! :D Hook back on and off I went again. But caught nothing. Had some twitching on the line, i tried it for a while but didn't catch anything there. From then on I swapped between the 3 spots but never caught at the opposite side of the back but bi eck! Casting overhead with the feeder is a joy. I enjoyed casting before but the added weight brings something else to the party. It was a really fun day.

IMG_20210822_143208759_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20210822_174541313_HDR~2.jpg Even when the heavens opened and the rain poured and I ended up sat in a puddle I still loved it. It had been a good few weeks since I had genuinely enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I had still enjoyed going but due to frustrations I had lacked the buzz that I had yesterday. Such a good day, such good fun. Made that bit sweeter by beating the Mr. In his defence he was on a bad peg. I had fished it a fortnight before and caught very little, an old boy was on it last week and had the same bad luck. The poor Mr was doomed from the start but he did have the choice of a number of peg but choose that one so....... I don't have too much sympathy.

At the end of the day, my biggest was a 3lb F1 and a first for me this beauty.

IMG_20210822_182137906_HDR.jpg A nice 2.5lb barbell and what a joy to net he was. Shot off like a rocket. Great fun to play him into net.

Looking forward to our next outing.

Happy fishing all

:beautiful::love:

SeanB

Site Supporter
Great write up, you two are the funniest double act since Morecambe and Wise 😁

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Well fished Mrs Munch. I think with your level of progress you should have the choice of one of those new Tricast rods. You would obviously do it more justice, as you can catch fish, which is what said rods are for.👍😉😉

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Well done darling he say's through gritted teeth. 2 questions? Can I come out of the flooded cellar now and can I have my medium mould back now please? There is a name change going on so you can MunchMyCrinklyStarfish on the next outing darling xxx

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Goes to show that the “best rods” won’t win every time so maybe @MunchMyStump should consider a swap so the better angler, gets the better kit ;) :ROFLMAO:

There are some great feeder / bomb casting videos on YouTube with Andy May & Jamie ahughes ones being particularly good - what i still do for practice is to find a big local field and take a hula hoop. Place the hoop down, back up 10yds and cast with an empty feeder or bomb. Choose the next size up to the one you usually use as a full feeder and empty feeder behave differently. It’s surprising how quickly you will find a groove and your casts will smooth out a treat.

Cast until you are landing in the hoop a majority of casts then move back 10yds and repeat - before you know it you’ll be 50yds out and pinpoint accurate without the worry of lost terminal tackle.

Well done on thrashing the Mr

Total

Site Supporter
Goes to show that the “best rods” won’t win every time so maybe @MunchMyStump should consider a swap so the better angler, gets the better kit ;) :ROFLMAO:

There are some great feeder / bomb casting videos on YouTube with Andy May & Jamie ahughes ones being particularly good - what i still do for practice is to find a big local field and take a hula hoop. Place the hoop down, back up 10yds and cast with an empty feeder or bomb. Choose the next size up to the one you usually use as a full feeder and empty feeder behave differently. It’s surprising how quickly you will find a groove and your casts will smooth out a treat.

Cast until you are landing in the hoop a majority of casts then move back 10yds and repeat - before you know it you’ll be 50yds out and pinpoint accurate without the worry of lost terminal tackle.

Well done on thrashing the Mr
^^ Only one problem I can see with your process above.....How will Mrs M' place the hula hoop on the lake she fishes without getting her feet wet?:whistle:;):ROFLMAO:

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I tell you now and I repeat myself, there is sommat not right. Picking the one winning ball for the Guru Chair, several failed drowning attempts... Always cold and likes picking my scab injury's... Works night shifts... eyes hurt during daylight... Yeah Sean was right. It's not the @Mrs Munch fan club, it's the afraid of @Mrs Munch fan club.
:eek::eek::eek:

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
I tell you now and I repeat myself, there is sommat not right. Picking the one winning ball for the Guru Chair, several failed drowning attempts... Always cold and likes picking my scab injury's... Works night shifts... eyes hurt during daylight... Yeah Sean was right. It's not the @Mrs Munch fan club, it's the afraid of @Mrs Munch fan club.
:eek::eek::eek:
And yet somehow you've not been turned into a toad yet!!!! Hmmmm! 🤔