The adventures of Mrs Munch 2021 - Part 6

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
Well, what a busy fishing week it has been for me and @MunchMyStump. A 5 day break away to the coast then an extra day fishing yesterday.

In brief... ish

Apart from walking the Mr's legs off by taking him on the 7.5 miles round trip to Spurn point. We had 3 days fishing while away, then came home and went off to Sunshine lakes.

Our break away was at Sand le mere, near Withernsea, who have their own fishing lake not too far from the cliff edge. (watch your step there Mr Munch :devilish:)

We arrived early and went straight to the lake to check it out and have a bit of a fish.

The Mr was using his pole, hoping to actually catch this time (and catch he did - phew!) and I was using my usual 10ft rod with maggot and hemp. As there was an island just in front of us I couldn't use my usual overhead cast so had the go with the underarm which I can't do for toffee but I didn't have much choice. Practice makes perfect... right? Anyway, away I went and I were getting bites straight away but missed my first 3. After that I was catching quite well and so was the Mr but I missed quite a lot. The other two days fishing went pretty much the same. Except on the last day I started using ground bait which I'd never bothered with before.
Fishing for the second day in a row. I did get rather restless. Sitting in a car and fishing all day, the day before, gave me restless leg so I packed up at 2pm and went for a walk on beach. leaving the Mr too it. I'm not one to be sat down all day, which is the only problem I have with fishing.
During the week....
I got better and better at my underarm cast.
I caught a 7lb PB.
I didn't catch a single twig!!!
I more or less matched the Mr fish for fish although he was catching the bigger ones. 😲
I did however loose quiet a few fish including a couple of rather nice large carp but I did learn how to play the fish a bit and to coax it to where I want it go.... kind of - work in progress.
All in all it was a really good few days of fishing. I made a lot of progress and really enjoyed it.

The weather was set to change on Friday so we thought we'd set off home early and call in to Bobco on way as I suggested going to Sunrise lakes on the Saturday.

But..... the oil needed topping up 40/50ish miles from home..... no problem as the Mr carries some... well....it wouldn't have been a problem if the Mr had put the oil cap on properly (why aren't those things on a tether???). So a few miles later, smoke was coming out of the back and the oil light came on... argh! 7 miles from the nearest service station!!!! We were never going to make that So, we pulled over on the hard shoulder, topped up with oil, created a very unorthodox covering for the oil tank and hoped to make it to the services. Which we did... just. The Mr went off to find some oil and/or something we could use to get us home.... nothing... couldn't find anything... FFS 🤬... someone's having a laugh!!!! A bit more clever thinking and another top up (We still had a good bit of oil left). We set back off again, just hoping to get home. The Mr stuck to 55mps but finally after another stop or two to top up the oil, we made it home. A quick run to garage for a oil tank cap and all was good with the world again and off we went to Bobco. All we wanted was a pint of maggots, some hooks and a rod rest that I can attached to my chair but I walked out with a 12ft rod too.... How did that happen? 🤔
Sadly though when we got home we realised they'd given us the wrong rod! 🤦‍♀️
So, the Mr said I could use one of his 12ft ones so I can see if I liked the extra length! 😉

The next day we were up and out to Sunrise lakes. I was expecting the weather not to be on our side but it was lovely blue sky's when we set off. The lake is beautiful, very much off the beaten track, with a very bumpy road leading too it but it was worth it. The top lake is fantastic and very well made and thought out. We found a couple of pegs near to the road and set up. The website warned that if you use maggot you will be plagued with the small fish but that didn't bother me as I needed to practice with the new rod.
I first threw in a few maggots and hemp and started practicing my underarm cast... well it was like trying to eat your dinner with a shovel... that extra bit of length really did matter and i was worse than ever. But I was catching fish, after fish, after fish, albeit the smaller variety, but i never got chance to breath. I didn't bother feeding after that but still they came good and fast. Meanwhile, the Mr was struggling to catch one but as he was aiming for the larger fish you couldn't really compare. After about an hour I was sick of the little beggars and my underarm cast still wasn't improving. So, I changed fishing area and opted for the more open space where I could use the overhead cast (the underarm can wait for another day) and I went on corn (for the first time) and hoped for a large fish or two.
The overhead casting went better, not casting out to the same spot but managing to adjust so it came back to the spot that I were fishing.... mostly. I was feeding with micro pellets, a small bit of hemp as we didn't take much and a few sweetcorn. My feeding area was still about 1 square mile 🙈(my thoughts are that if 1 will come then others will too and they will stay in the area happily feeding into my hands... eventually.. maybe) I started catching pretty much straight away, and a better size fish too, it wasn't long before the F1s came along and they just kept coming. (The F1s weren't huge, my biggest was about 2.5/3lbs most were about 1lb or slightly under). If the swim went too quiet I threw in a couple of maggots for good measure to try and attract something back and it worked. The day flew by and I was really happy with how it had gone. The Mr not so much 😟
I did however have a couple of snags. The first was getting stuck in some lilies. Thankfully though I walked round to the back of the them and managed to free them. Maggots still attached lolz. The second was getting snagged on something under water, After messing around trying to free it I walked backwards from it and managed to get it free. (both of these was thanks to getting some advice from the Mr on what to do). The 3rd was when I caught an F1 and it went straight under the reeds and got stuck. I couldn't pull it out. I actually thought it had gotten free and got me snagged on something. This time the Mr did come over to helped and got down to the water and pulled on the line. To my surprise he pulled it loose with the fish still attached. Thank you to the Mr. 😁 Although, the Mr claimed it as his own and he very nearly faceplanted the water!!!!

That leads me to today....

So, we had to take the new rod, which was the wrong rod, back to Bobco but I had been thinking about my equipment and how to store all my odds and ends but I want to keep it as condensed as possible. I'm only little and I'm not an octopus. I had been admiring the Mr new bags and tackle box and wondered if anything like would work for what I wanted but maybe on a smaller scale. After arriving home yesterday we took a good look at it and found that his tackle box actually fit inside the top half of his bag... perfectly! Hurray, that's it. that's what I need. I'd have the bottom half of the bag for bait and larger bits of kit. I could also get a latch hook to hang my landing net off the bag so no net bag needed (unless match fishing where I'd need keep nets) That leaves me with only the bag with tackle and bait in, my chair and my rod to carry..... happy days :)
So, that's what I bought..... I did also decided that instead of swapping the rod that I got on Friday for the one I should have had, I bought the Tricast commercial 12ft rod and paid the difference instead.
IMG_20210620_134137251_MP.jpg

Bi eck..... anyone got 20 bar I can borrow until pay day?

So, it's now decided that we will go fishing again on Saturday..... back to Sunrise lakes. The Mr is hoping to get the same spot again and will try and give it a run for it's money. I on the other with be chilled testing out my new rod, watching the poor Mr miss his fish catch a whale or somat! 🤷‍♀️

Happy fishing all
💕

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
It was a wonderful week away, both of us needed it. Your skills have improved immensely recently and I'm now wondering if I should be feeding you duff info :ROFLMAO: .
I think you will find the Tri-Cast to your liking. The 12' Drennan of mine you used certainly helped you control the fish and assist in landing. Quick note...need a new net handle... The Frenzee 10' you have was a great tool to learn on but it would just collapse on larger fish and you now out fish the rod, so time to move on.

Back to Sunrise indeed, and yes I want the same peg, I have to work out just what the hell was going on there. It was quite deep at just over 5', was there a divot on the bed or some obstruction somewhere? No idea but I'm going to find out.

Early start on Saturday... Out and on our way for 06:30.... (y)

tysontim

Site Supporter
Sounds like you two had a great time on your holiday, but I have to admire the determination of Mrs Munch, you are improving with every outing, (Practice makes Perfect) or so they.
Keep it up and you will soon be giving the Mr a run for his money.😆😆😆😆

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
^^ So much so we have booked in again. Sand Le Mere in September when the little shi..err darlings go back to school.
At the rate @Mrs Munch is improving and all kidding aside, you lot joining the pork pie match better watch out... She is quickly becoming a Tour De Force in her own right. Lots of practice sessions to go yet and I have every confidence she will take scalps, mine included!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
4m landing net handles are a huge benefit - good move going for a long handle

Soonds like you are both loving your fishing and it’s showing in your catches

Don’t overthink stuff - some days you will bag up & some days you will scratch for hits on the same peg - it’s fishing and it happens but nothing to stress over

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Crikey, have you thought about selling this story to the BBC drama dept, this is a mini series in the making😁
Oh, it would have to be after the watershed.... It would be no Waterhouse and Mortimer fishing show that's for sure! Next up is introducing feeder fishing to her ladyship. Yeah, there may be trouble ahead!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh, it would have to be after the watershed.... It would be no Waterhouse and Mortimer fishing show that's for sure! Next up is introducing feeder fishing to her ladyship. Yeah, there may be trouble ahead!
Keep on with the float fishing, no point confusing her at this stage - perfect one style before trying another ;)

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
And that is a ….. ‘ brief … ish report is it Mrs Munch ?

Crikey, have you thought about selling this story to the BBC drama dept, this is a mini series in the making

I bet Dave is panicking. Mrs Munch has just used up a weeks worth of forum Data. 🤣🤣
Ooops! I seemed to have more to say than I thought 🙈

Trust me mate, there are donkeys out there with their hind legs missing...
As you well know dear. You talk a hell of a lot more than me!!!! That's why Chris Kendall goes hides in his office when you turn up!!!! 🤪

Keep on with the float fishing, no point confusing her at this stage - perfect one style before trying another
Despite what the Mr might think. I have no intention of learning another way to fish. Not in the near future anyway.

💕

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Ooops! I seemed to have more to say than I thought 🙈

As you well know dear. You talk a hell of a lot more than me!!!! That's why Chris Kendall goes hides in his office when you turn up!!!! 🤪

Despite what the Mr might think. I have no intention of learning another way to fish. Not in the near future anyway.

💕
Laughing WITH you Mrs Munch not at you. I’m enjoying listening to your exploits. Sounds like you are improving. 👍. Sly has been fishing for years and he’s still casting into trees and on to islands. Maybe you could give Sly some lessons ? 😉🤣