The adventures of Mrs Munch 2021 - part 2

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
How are you struggling with the rod rest, Mrs M?
Is it screwed into a bankstick or attached to your chair?
I just couldn't get comfy more than anything. Nothing sat right. If the chair was right then the bank stick wasn't. If them two were right then the way I rested the rod on my knee wasn't. I just seemed to go round and round in circles for some reason. I got there eventually.... After my nap 🙈

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
IMHO there is no need for rod rest, rod and float to be in a straight line. If the rest is at 45° the butt can rest on your thigh with the float straight out in front. @Mrs Munch is Mr trying to slow/hamper your progress.😈
He probably is. He tells people he wants me to do well but that's not what he says in his sleep 😂😂😂🤔😱

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can't see much wrong with that cast tbh.
The more pressure put on you to perform well the more mistakes you'll make though.

Personally I'd say a 10ft rod is too short for a float rod. 11ft is ideal on the waters you're fishing, 12ft maximum.
Also, the float and line need to be paired up to the rod - if you're casting short or splashing then chances are the float is too heavy.
If you hear a swishing noise as you cast then it's too light for the rod and distance you're trying to achieve.
Reel main line no more than 0.15 (5lb'ish BS)

Make sure the reel fits comfortably, some are better than others especially with smaller hands. It's hard to cast if you can't reach the spool with the middle finger of the hand holding it. You can't feather the line and you'll not get accurate casts.

Above all else, relax and enjoy yourself, the fish will come

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The more pressure put on you to perform well the more mistakes you'll make though.

Personally I'd say a 10ft rod is too short for a float rod. 11ft is ideal on the waters you're fishing, 12ft maximum.
Also, the float and line need to be paired up to the rod - if you're casting short or splashing then chances are the float is too heavy.
If you hear a swishing noise as you cast then it's too light for the rod and distance you're trying to achieve.

Make sure the reel fits comfortably, some are better than others especially with smaller hands. It's hard to cast if you can't reach the spool with the middle finger of the hand holding it. You can't feather the line and you'll not get accurate casts.

Perfect ,11ft rod ,heavier float to get intended distance on that day .

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter

0.15 reel line is more like 2.5 pound b.s. in “traditional” mono ... I’d be going a little heavier for a relative newbie (0.18 perhaps).

The cast looks pretty OK, perhaps the line release is a tiny bit early? hard to be certain from the video alone.

It’s difficult to tell from the video how far out Mrs Munch is fishing ... but if it is around or less than 20m, and the depth is 6ft or less - then a 10ft rod would be OK, especially if she is happy with it (confidence is everything).
For those sort of distances, then a 2aaa waggler float would be about right, perhaps a 3aaa in more adverse conditions.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
^^ Constructive critique ?
I'd say the release is a little late as evidenced by the time between the rod moving and closing the bail arm. Ideally - in my considered opinion - the rod should be at about forty five degrees above the horizontal at the release and slowly lowered to about thirty degrees above the horizontal as the line is paying out. Of course this all depends upon the distance the caster is attempting to achieve. For short distances I tend to cast sideways as the end gear settles in the water with less of a splash. Really close and it's an under-arm lob. 11-13' is the ideal float rod length - again, in my considered opinion.
A swishing sound as the cast is being made indicates either a too stiff rod or too light (for the rod) set-up).
Phil, who only uses a rod.