The adventures of Mrs Munch 2021 - part 2

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
A slightly unexpected fishing day.

After finishing a set of night shifts Wednesday morning and due to start back on another set on Friday the Mr suggested a trip out fishing on my only day off. So, a quick trip to Bobco for a few bits and nearly two hours spent doing hook lengths and prepping my minimalist box Wednesday night, we were set.

IMG_20210421_201342016.jpg Not much in my little box. So, any box filling suggestions will be appreciated. (But try and keep it clean ;)).

Unfortunately, as I'm used to night shifts the only sleep I got on Wednesday night was when I blinked :rolleyes: so I was feeling rather tired but off we went at 7am and I'm so glad we did. Arrived to this view and the day was already warming nicely.

IMG_20210422_074603173_HDR.jpg

I took somewhat longer to set up and picked a lighter float, changed the shots slightly but it kept sinking just under the water so I changed shot size again and moved the float up but it still happened so I asked the Mr if it was just the float I needed to move up more or if was I missing something else. He came and checked and I watched his float as he was already fishing and caught this little guy. Much to the Mr's dismay.

IMG_20210422_085354156_HDR.jpg First fish of the day :D

After taking the Mr's advice (yes you heard correctly) on how to sort my set up I finally got to fish but....

I couldn't get in a comfortable position with the rod and rest and my casting was all over the place. Arggghhh! Felt like I'd taken a giant leap backwards so I took a nap. :sleep3:

I did eventually get settled and the day did get better. Not in the way of catching carp but I steadily caught silver all day which is good enough for me and even caught a few on the lift bite which I do have trouble with - JOY!!!
As things were now going better and I had a bit of confidence back I changed my cast slightly from casting over my right shoulder to casting in centre of my head. I always felt nervous doing this before as I had visions of me, catching myself and going head first into the drink. Although, I am very aware that the rod and hook are definitely not strong enough for that!!!! (Hush! Mr Munch, no comment from you here, thank you very much 🤪).
I also, managed to use the unhooky stick thingy - not once but twice, which was the highlight of my day. It is what I have struggled with the most since I started fishing so that was a fantastic achievement for me. :love:

On a slightly sadder note. The little duckling that was there with mum on Saturday was now all alone :( no sign of mum all day. It spent the day going back and forth between me and the Mr as we threw it food to it. Poor little orphaned Wilmer.
But by the end of the day he did seem to have made friends with a moorhen so fingers crossed it'll be OK.

IMG_20210422_153143602.jpg IMG_20210422_153132697.jpg

Although I was exhausted and I've been sat falling asleep as I've been writing this. It was a really good day. I felt like I've really achieved today and a few things have fallen into place.

I have only been using maggot and hemp so next time I might start using different baits (Any advice?) and hopefully I'll learn how to stop falling a sleep!!!!

Now I just need to try and stay awake until at least 4am in prep for my night shift tomorrow!!!! Only 5 more hours to go 😩

Happy fishing all
:beautiful:💕

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Today was a good day! Improvements all around, however I do have to chastise for feeding geese in the swim. Little orphaned Wilma YES! Bloody Geese NO!
A steady catch rate throughout the day, casting improving, feeding also pretty good. But today you actually enjoyed it. That is the most important aspect, you made adjustments and asked questions :love:
You also caught the second biggest fish of the day. The fact it was in my swim on my setup whilst I was looking at yours is pretty much immaterial, you hooked, caught and landed it yourself... Kudos!
A great day out and much learnt.
Wilma, the duckling has been orphaned :( It was Mrs. Munch that named her, I did wonder if the name was linked as in.. Wilma float go under? But no...It's just Wilma. So we both fed her throughout the day. I hope she makes it to adulthood, food is hard to come by for a poor duckling so we left some offerings on the bank for her.
A great day out and I feel a barrier has been breeched. (y)
That was a lovely writeup. I guess you enjoyed our outing today?
Tying your own hook lengths last night and making sure they were all identical..

Last edited:

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Little steps and all in the right direction, Well Done. For someone such as myself who started his journey along anglings pathway over sixty years ago, it's great to read your take on things as you start out down that same path. It transports me back to my wonder and frustration of those early times, enjoy it and treasure it, it's a great journey that never ends as regardless of how far along it you travel every day is a learning day. ;)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
In fairness, Mrs. Munch was the most consistent throughout the day. If we went head to head on the amount of fish caught then she would have won.

We were chatting to a retiree as we were setting up and he was talking about Pheromones and how the female of the species emit such secretions.
Well I have a great idea! Throw the Mrs in as groundbait.

SeanB

Site Supporter
Nice to read you both enjoyed a more positive, relaxed session.
Nice write up 📝👍🙂

The Landlord

Site Supporter
How are you struggling with the rod rest, Mrs M?
Is it screwed into a bankstick or attached to your chair?

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
It's screwed in to a bankstick but what she likes to do is have the reel rested on the chair with the butt of the rod on her thigh. The point I made was that the rod, rod rest and float should all be in a straight line and she just couldn't get herself sorted properly. She got there in the end though.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
It's screwed in to a bankstick but what she likes to do is have the reel rested on the chair with the butt of the rod on her thigh. The point I made was that the rod, rod rest and float should all be in a straight line and she just couldn't get herself sorted properly. She got there in the end though.
Well done @Mrs Munch - glad to hear things came together and you had an enjoyable day.

I’ve just purchased the Preston inception chair and included a Feeder Arm with my purchase. It attaches to one of the legs.

Possibly might help with your issue?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
IMHO there is no need for rod rest, rod and float to be in a straight line. If the rest is at 45° the butt can rest on your thigh with the float straight out in front. @Mrs Munch is Mr trying to slow/hamper your progress.😈

JayBee

Site Supporter
A slightly unexpected fishing day.

After finishing a set of night shifts Wednesday morning and due to start back on another set on Friday the Mr suggested a trip out fishing on my only day off. So, a quick trip to Bobco for a few bits and nearly two hours spent doing hook lengths and prepping my minimalist box Wednesday night, we were set.

IMG_20210421_201342016.jpg Not much in my little box. So, any box filling suggestions will be appreciated. (But try and keep it clean ;)).

Unfortunately, as I'm used to night shifts the only sleep I got on Wednesday night was when I blinked :rolleyes: so I was feeling rather tired but off we went at 7am and I'm so glad we did. Arrived to this view and the day was already warming nicely.

IMG_20210422_074603173_HDR.jpg

I took somewhat longer to set up and picked a lighter float, changed the shots slightly but it kept sinking just under the water so I changed shot size again and moved the float up but it still happened so I asked the Mr if it was just the float I needed to move up more or if was I missing something else. He came and checked and I watched his float as he was already fishing and caught this little guy. Much to the Mr's dismay.

IMG_20210422_085354156_HDR.jpg First fish of the day :D

After taking the Mr's advice (yes you heard correctly) on how to sort my set up I finally got to fish but....

I couldn't get in a comfortable position with the rod and rest and my casting was all over the place. Arggghhh! Felt like I'd taken a giant leap backwards so I took a nap. :sleep3:

I did eventually get settled and the day did get better. Not in the way of catching carp but I steadily caught silver all day which is good enough for me and even caught a few on the lift bite which I do have trouble with - JOY!!!
As things were now going better and I had a bit of confidence back I changed my cast slightly from casting over my right shoulder to casting in centre of my head. I always felt nervous doing this before as I had visions of me, catching myself and going head first into the drink. Although, I am very aware that the rod and hook are definitely not strong enough for that!!!! (Hush! Mr Munch, no comment from you here, thank you very much 🤪).
I also, managed to use the unhooky stick thingy - not once but twice, which was the highlight of my day. It is what I have struggled with the most since I started fishing so that was a fantastic achievement for me. :love:

On a slightly sadder note. The little duckling that was there with mum on Saturday was now all alone :( no sign of mum all day. It spent the day going back and forth between me and the Mr as we threw it food to it. Poor little orphaned Wilmer.
But by the end of the day he did seem to have made friends with a moorhen so fingers crossed it'll be OK.

IMG_20210422_153143602.jpg IMG_20210422_153132697.jpg

Although I was exhausted and I've been sat falling asleep as I've been writing this. It was a really good day. I felt like I've really achieved today and a few things have fallen into place.

I have only been using maggot and hemp so next time I might start using different baits (Any advice?) and hopefully I'll learn how to stop falling a sleep!!!!

Now I just need to try and stay awake until at least 4am in prep for my night shift tomorrow!!!! Only 5 more hours to go 😩

Happy fishing all
:beautiful:💕
Is this ongoing saga available on Youtube, or Netflix or other streaming services?.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I agree with you in that you don't have to have it all dead straight but when you are new and accuracy is a big issue then keeping everything in line is a benefit. Far bank marker dead in line with your rod. I see no point adding odd angles in the setup when none are needed.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I agree with you in that you don't have to have it all dead straight but when you are new and accuracy is a big issue then keeping everything in line is a benefit. Far bank marker dead in line with your rod. I see no point adding odd angles in the setup when none are needed.
Fair point mate, but once the cast has been made it is a simple matter to sink the line to one side so that the rod can be balanced across the thigh. This also helps with striking as you are in closer contact with the float.

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I'm just trying to keep everything simple right now Dave. We have had enough calamities this season already! I honestly think a longer rod will be of benefit though. Her rod at the moment is a 10' Frenzee and I do think it is hampering her, when the tip snapped on my 13' Shakey I was forced to use it and it's not the best tool for the job I have to say. But it is what she knows and she is reluctant to change right now. I wonder what would happen if I forgot to pack it? :unsure:

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I do prefer rod in line with float , definitely a longer rod rest will.help , it doesnt have to be straight but i think its best ,quicker to hit bites and quicker all around ,cast in front ,lay rod in line with cast which means moving rod rest around at the same angle . Just my way .