The adventures of Mrs Munch 2021 - part 1

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
So, after the not so flattering review about me and yesterdays fishing trip from the Mr I thought I'd better tell my side.

But first a quick update since my last outing which was October 2020.

As a lot of you know I signed up for the Easter Northern fur n feather and I was extremely nervous. I have been working a lot and sadly not had the chance to go out fishing this year before the match. I had lost my confidence as it was so long since I had last fished and this would only be my fifth time fishing but here I was on the day on my way with the Mr to give it a shot.
We got to meet some of you lovely lot which perked up my spirits before the match started. Was really nice to put a few faces to the names behind the screen.
So the Mr helped me set up but I could remember a good chunk of what to do so I was very happy. There was no pressure for me and the Mr would be concentrating on what he was doing for the most part so I could just get on and fish.
I was just using maggot and hemp and had a really good start at catching bits of trees. :rolleyes: Thankfully that was short lived and I did start to catch. Happy days. Although my casting was shocking and I had problems with my line but they were problems I managed to solve - apart from when my line got stuck on the pond bed and the Mr came to my rescue and when I couldn't do the unhooky stick thingy.
During the day my casting got worse and I became more and more frustrated. I was still catching fish but could not for the life of me work out what I was doing wrong until I saw that the float stopper do dar had been riding up my line and then getting caught in the rod eyes. I moved it back down and carried on. I probably should have taken the time to set back up but alas I did not so I had the problem for the rest of the day. Lesson noted.
The only other problem I occurred was due to my beautiful seat box :cry:. I just could not get comfy on it, my back ached and the royal rump went numb so I had to keep getting up and making the Mr coffee to ease it somewhat. Much to the Mr's wonder lolz. and to help one fellow member unhook a bird - bring on the fur n 'feather' and catching a 'bird' jokes!
I do love that box but did it have to go?
The end of the match was called and I just managed to snag on last carp at the end. Hurray! I had caught 10 carp and about the same in silver and I were very happy with that.

So, with a heavy heart and a careful thought it was decided that the box would have to go. It was just not practical for me. The weight, size, no back rest and my poor uncomfortable rumpa. It is a very nice box but I decided it was better if it went to someone who would make better use of it. We needed some things for the next days fishing so off we trot to Bobco. I wanted some trousers with bib and to 'look' at chairs while we were there. I got my Drennan bib n brace trousers and we thought we would ask about buying the seat box from us and explained the situation. We wanted to post on here first as we wanted someone on here to get a good deal for it as this is where i got it from but if there was no takers for the box then this was our back up plan. After taking to Bobco he told us he had a new chair just in so he set it up, parked the royal rump on it and sold. So much for just looking and here is the chosen throne - new Preston Innovations feeder chair. Spoiler alert. It did NOT disappoint. BTW I'm not trying to cook myself. That's the sun on my Guru towel.

IMG_20210417_172531814.jpg

I was all set and looking forward to tomorrows fishing. We got home and put the box up for sale on here and got a hit straight away with collection the next morning before fishing. Happy days.

FISHING DAY
The box was happily picked up nice and early before we set off. I was happy, he was happy. Good deal for both of us. Thank you muchly :)

We went to None go by farm and arrived about 8am maybe a little before. I had only fished on the kiddie pond there so was nice to got out on the 'big boys' pond. The sun was out, although still a bit cold.
IMG_20210417_114139509.jpg
I wanted to set up by myself. I'm a kinaesthetic learner so I need to do things myself to be able to learn. Someone can bark at me all day long about the same thing but I still won't get it until I am doing and learning as I go, plus I kind of like the process of working things out for myself. I asked the Mr to remind me about a few things while setting up but the rest I did myself. I did exactly the same as the last time I'd fished. Weren't 100% sure if I'd done it right but thought I'd go with it and see what happened. The float I used was small but thick and had the orange on top with the yellow strips underneath. One of the yellow strips were still showing but I liked that as I had only 6/7 hours since I got up on Thursday and it was now Saturday, it helped me see. So I thought I would go with it for the day and see how it worked. I was catching straight away, casting better than I ever had. The Mr commented part way through the day that the float was too high in the water and I needed to shot down but I was tired but happy and I just wanted to go with what I were doing. It did not bother me that I were missing bites as recasting was keeping me awake and helping me learn to cast in the same spot. I was throwing in hemp and a few maggots to where I were fishing and I were really happy. As things were going well I remembered the Mr had said I needed to shot down, or something along those lines. I thought I'd give it a go and see what the difference was. Now I thought he meant move the float down which is what I had seen him doing before so that's what I did. After doing this a few times I realised he didn't meant that and figured that I was fishing closer to the surface of the water but as the carp were basking in the sun, I figured I'd carry on doing it for a while and see what happened. I could always move it back up later. I were still catching. Still no carp but catching any fish at this stage is good for the learning process.

The Mr did catch a nice one though
IMG_20210417_165017478.jpg BTW it did look bigger in real life....

But then -
I got a loop in my reel from the line and couldn't cast out far enough to undo it. So, I asked the Mr to cast far out to undo the loop for me and he asked me to come fish on his while he did so.
"I'll sort your line out while I'm at it" he said "there's no way you're fishing at the bottom" and although I asked him not to he ignored me and sorted the line out so I were fishing on bottom. Yes thank you but....... :rolleyes:
I did catch a nice carp while I were fishing on his which was nice.

I then went back to my peg and were fishing the same spot as I had been but got nothing, not a bite after an hour I were falling asleep. So I thought I'd stop for awhile - recline my chair and have a little snooze. My eyes were aching from lack of sleep but it was too nice of a day to stop. I stopped and start for the rest of the day swapping between fishing and snoozing. I decided not to fish in the spot I had been and tried other areas further out. I couldn't throw the hemp or maggots out that far so tried the catapult but I was very hit and miss with it and too tired to practice. I just thought I'd mess about a bit. Practicing casting to different spots but not baiting as I wouldn't be fishing there long and would eventually go back to my original spot. I weren't catching anyway so I didn't see what difference it made. Then I heard the little voice "what you casting over there for when your feeding somewhere else"...sigh....

I was somewhat frustrated, I have an overwhelming need to discover things myself but the Mr has the same need to tell me what to do. Now don't get me wrong. I do really appreciate everything the Mr is doing in trying to help me by telling me but I really struggle to learn that way. I think he things I'm been an arse, I really don't mean to be but I just don't learn that way and I do apologise to him, he has tried very hard with teaching me and I do love him for it.

Anyway, on a plus note I did meet this new friend while fishing. I have called her Queen Swanny Swan of NoneGoByFarm the 1st and I apologise if it's a boy. She really was not shy and came right next to me.

IMG_20210417_181015718.jpg IMG_20210417_181126479.jpg IMG_20210417_180959510.jpg

After fishing for 11 hours we decided to call it a day. We were rather burned - mainly on one side - but the sun was starting to go down and we were both hungry. After packing up we stopped off at the chippy and went home for ice-cream and vodka :)

IMG_20210417_200249451.jpg

A nice way to finish the day.

Although, I had some frustrations, overall it was a nice day out. And my chair is like heaven, so light to carry and so very very comfy. No rumpa numbness, no back ache. Just 11 hours of pure heaven :D

Happy fishing all
Mrs Munch x :beautiful:

Deejay8

Site Supporter
That sounds like a really good day. Your chair sounds comfortable. Maybe too comfortable if your able to snooze,lol. And it sounds like you had found the fish feeding shallow and then Mr Munch put your rig back on the bottom and you stopped catching. One tip is to mark the bottom depth on the rod. Then you can change depths as much as you want, and still come back to bottom whenever you want. I love how enthusiastic you are about your fishing, and your willingness to try and figure it out for yourself.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Lovely write up Mrs M. 11 hours ? Crikey. That’s dedication. Nice to hear you’re nice and comfy whilst your fishing. Nothing worse than walking off the bank with a bad back. Well done you. 👍

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Good write up. I enjoyed it. It’s not a surprise that your casting was a bit all over the place at Lindholme, it was pretty windy. You just need a few calm days and time to practice on your own and you will really improve.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
A lovely write up of both days.

As lovely as the seat box was you did the right thing going for something else if it wasn’t comfy for you - you spend way too much time on them so an uncomfortable seat would have removed the enjoyment of every session.

I get what you are saying about your learning style, it’s very personal how one learns but you are catching and it shows that you are doing the basics right so it’s now a case of getting more hours on a bank to hone those skills and increase your catch rates.

I’m a Level 2 archery coach (for my sins) and have to tailor every session to the student’s needs & learning style - some thrive on written instruction, others need to watch, others to shoot solo with guidance or alongside me mirroring a technique, some find video review invaluable whilst others hate it.

Getting instruction from a loved one is fraught at the best of times - it’s why I have taught our friends eldest daughters to drive because the arguments with their parents were monumental. Perhaps an hour or two spent with another angler, maybe a Drowner who is local, might be beneficial? I’m sure you can get Mr Munch to see your learning style needs and he’ll turn you into a fearsome angler in no time.

Don't let frustration be a barrier - taking a break during a session is beneficial letting you regroup. I find that if I start getting tangles it’s time for a short break to settle down again and restart and I’ve been doing this a very long time ;)

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
Thanks all.
I absolutely love fishing. I love having time out from people, relaxing, catching and sometimes not catching and snoozing instead lolz.
I love finding out what happens when I change things and how to solve problems when I've done something wrong. I always have. That doesn't mean I don't want or need help or advice, I'm very aware that I do not know everything, it's just sometimes i need to find my own way.
The Mr has kindly shown me the basics and now I'm happy and excited about trying to work out the technical part. I love the sense of achievement I get when I've worked something out myself.
The first few times going although I did enjoy it I didn't really put a great deal of effort in finding or working things out but I'm becoming more and more passionate and want to find out more and more.
This is just the start of my fishing journey and I'm excited to learn. One little step at a time.
x

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Anyone up for a hour or two coaching? In no way am I being derogatory, far from it! I want Mrs Munch to bloody beat me! not literally...well maybe a little...
Moving on swiftly... I personally think that the rod / reel and muscle memory combo needs addressing. A full change of setup will need a different approach completely as apposed to the current setup wherein bad habits have formed and cannot be excised? Just a thought?
Will provide pork pies!

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Anyone up for a hour or two coaching? In no way am I being derogatory, far from it! I want Mrs Munch to bloody beat me! not literally...well maybe a little...
Moving on swiftly... I personally think that the rod / reel and muscle memory combo needs addressing. A full change of setup will need a different approach completely as apposed to the current setup wherein bad habits have formed and cannot be excised? Just a thought?
Will provide pork pies!

I’d be up for it chap - do pretty much anything for a pork pie - whereabouts are you based young sir?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Anyone up for a hour or two coaching?
I feel going from what Mrs Munch has written that a day out with a couple of us all fishing the waggler on a suitable venue is what's called for.
Not a coaching session as such but an opportunity for Mrs Munch to spend some time sitting with each angler watching what we do, asking questions, taking what she wants from each anglers approach and then spending a bit of her time trying to put it into practice herself, rather than us trying to tell her what to do as such.
I would quite happily leave the pole and feeder rods at home for the day and give it a go, maybe at somewhere like Lindholme and I'm sure. a Pork Pie would probably persuade Dave to tag along as well. ;)

Total

Site Supporter
I feel going from what Mrs Munch has written that a day out with a couple of us all fishing the waggler on a suitable venue is what's called for.
Not a coaching session as such but an opportunity for Mrs Munch to spend some time sitting with each angler watching what we do, asking questions, taking what she wants from each anglers approach and then spending a bit of her time trying to put it into practice herself, rather than us trying to tell her what to do as such.
I would quite happily leave the pole and feeder rods at home for the day and give it a go, maybe at somewhere like Lindholme and I'm sure. a Pork Pie would probably persuade Dave to tag along as well. ;)
^^(y).....Mr Munch is too 'close' to the situ' and is on for an 'hiding' no matter what he does, been there, done that with my good wife... and what you have suggested above would definitely be beneficial to Mrs Munch....:)

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
^^(y).....Mr Munch is too 'close' to the situ' and is on for an 'hiding' no matter what he does, been there, done that with my good wife... and what you have suggested above would definitely be beneficial to Mrs Munch....:)
It's pretty obvious from what's been said that Mr's Munch is not one for taking instructions, (and I mean no disrespect by that) I've known a few people like that over the years and the answer to how to approach it has invariably been to say absolutely nothing until a question is asked. If someone is inquisitive enough to ask the question there a very good chance that they will take notice of the answer and then try at some point to put it into practice.

More a case of not what to do but why it's done, and if it's explained well it tends to be remembered.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Well done Mrs Munch. It’s good to see your nether regions are no longer achin,g, and your enjoying your fishing. These little things that fine tune your fishing will soon be picked up and you will be getting on better than ever.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Ah right, the unhooky do dar should be inserted into the fish's doobryfurkin, wiggled about until the thingymajig comes out its wotsit...... Capeesh?