The adventures of Mr and Mrs Munch - part 4 - The Mrs version

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
Well, what a disaster! On a scale of 1 to Friday the 13th, I’d say it was definitely on the latter side.

IMG-20201104-WA0001.jpg

Id say this pic pretty much sums up the day, yes that's a leaf!!! :rolleyes: but let me just say it wasn't because of the lack of fish. You are always guarenteed to catch some Rainbow trout if nothing else at Tom's Pond.

So here's how the day went;

We were up a tad late but no big deal we weren't in too much of a rush. The Mr packed the car and i got the flask and sandwiches ready. All good so far. I was feeling very optimistic and looking forward to the day ahead. First minor problem we occurred was the Mr forgot his wallet! (I swear i've heard this one before) I had no cash either so we had to turn around and go back. Not too much of a set back though and we soon set off again.

We arrived at 10am which is what we intended and the place seemed quite busy but we managed to get the spot that we were at before and as we had a good fish there we decided to set up. So, we got everything out of the car and went to set up. "Darling, where's my chair?" a short silence fell followed by an "It's at home"
Oh FFS! he had one job.

So after some discussion and some serious counting to 10. We decided that he would sit on his box and as my peg had a step i would sit on that, a wooden float box and a cushion. Not ideal but workable.

Moving on to the setting up i can proudly say I did it all myself. A few questions to the Mr but it was all me. Goal one for the day completed. *Does happy dance ?*

The Mr however was set up before me and he was off and catching straight away with a little one and a Rainbow. I was still glowing from my achievement so i weren't too fussed. It wasn't long before i were ready too. I'd done the plumbing myself and all seemed good with the world. Except that when i did cast it wasn't. The float was disappearing so i had to do some more jigging, then some more jigging, then some more jigging. FFS! I eventually got it sorted and started fishing and caught a couple. Happydays i were off, except i wasn't as then the line got tangled! So, some messing about and off i went again except i couldn't get my casting right and the white noise coming from the Mr.'s mouth was not helping. My frustration was mounting but i'm not one to give up so on the trot and i did catch a couple more.

IMG-20201104-WA0002.jpg

Meanwhile, the Mr was doing rather well and already into the double figures.

IMG_20201104_120721322_HDR.jpg

Although, i'm not sure this little fella should count lolz.

Then the Mr broke his float. Secretly laughing or maybe not so secretly i offered my condolences to the death of a good float and carried on but karma from me laughing were on its way and my lines was soon taggled again, then the reel weren't winding back up properly, then the line got tangled again, then the reel weren't winding properly and inbetween all that i couldn't cast properly. We ended up having to chop my line and re-sort it as it was just getting silly, the line looked like it had been for a perm and i was about to loose my mind. After some more white noise from the Mr i decided to take a deep breath, have a cuppa and get back on it. Except that never happened as while i took some time out the Mr got his float stuck on the other side of the bank. He gave it a tug and the float came off much to the Mr.'s horror. Next thing i knew he was packing up lolz.

We figured the day had not been going well and before one of us ended up in the drink, it was best we called it a day. One the way home we called into Bobco to replace our lost floaty friends. RIP dear comrades!

IMG-20201104-WA0000.jpg

And as you can see i caught the biggest fish ?

But do you know what. A lot of things didn't go the way we wanted, i was frustrated 98% of the time and we were only out 3.5 hours but we caught fish (Rainbow trout and ide) and i still really enjoyed it.

PS you havent missed parts 1-4 of our adventures. Just figured as this was my forth outing then i'd start there. ? Now where's my JD n coke!!!!

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Keep you chin up Mrs M, tangles are part and parcel of learning how to cast, I can gurantee that everyone on here that casts a float has had to endure and sort out endless tangles. The only difference being that most of us got them out of the way when we were pre-teens. Some of us shall I say ahem younger members can still recall them, especially the infamous birds nests. :eek:

Keep persevering and it will click one day,

Mrs Munch

Site Supporter
Keep you chin up Mrs M, tangles are part and parcel of learning how to cast, I can gurantee that everyone on here that casts a float has had to endure and sort out endless tangles. The only difference being that most of us got them out of the way when we were pre-teens. Some of us shall I say ahem younger members can still recall them, especially the infamous birds nests. :eek:

Keep persevering and it will click one day,
Thanks I will. I actually don't mind untangling them. I just seem to have gone backwards today lolz. All good though. It's not put me off just made me more determined. ?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Tangles are all part of the learning curve I’m afraid. Once you can sort them out on your own (maybe you can already) that is a big step forward.

Have you considered getting a cheap margin pole? Pole fishing is easier and could provide a little respite from the tangles and casting problems.

Great report though. Keep it up. (y)

sly

bit better gear,still no idea
Site Supporter
Was Mr Munch having casting lessons from @sly in the past ? He usually casts to the other bank/island and gets stuck.
tut,tut,tut,i do not cast to the other bank i cast to the island and then pull the island towards me and then retrieve my feeder,i have been practicing,at least try and keep up with my progression ? :ROFLMAO:

Total

Site Supporter
tut,tut,tut,i do not cast to the other bank i cast to the island and then pull the island towards me and then retrieve my feeder,i have been practicing,at least try and keep up with my progression ? :ROFLMAO:

Ah! You've just got back from 'Tom's Pond!:oops:.....Good evening Steve....;)(y)

bettsfan

NIce Report and hey!!!! That's a bloody good leaf that is :)

Very naughty ploy of Mr M to forget the chair! I would hazard a guess that part of the tangling was caused as you weren't fishing comfortably. Nice picture of the Rainbow in the net too, did you unhook yourself and did you use the sticky thing?

On a positive note, we all have days when things don't go to plan, things are there to test us but you enjoyed it and had a good day out in what looked like nice weather. There is always next time (that's what I keep telling myself)

rudd

Site Supporter
Tangles are a specialty of mine.
Two wind knots using braid last week.
Blooming great birds nest on a multiplier.
Sodding great tangle at weekend using a sliding float.

Still a novice after forty years of thrashing the water to foam ???

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great reading and what a wally to forget one of the most important bits of kit ;)

The problem is in this game once you start getting frustrated and things start going wrong, it escalates and only gets worse.

When I have those moments it's usually followed by a few bellowing grunts, a bit of effing and jeffing, and if I can't nip it in the bud quick then either the tackle gets thrown up the bank or I get up and go for a walk, come back, settle back down, and alls well with the world again.

Before you go next time make a list of what to take, like a checklist, and tick it off before you leave. Keep the list as a note on your phone and add to it or take off it as you get more experienced. It makes life a lot easier and no excuses then ;)