That's it.

Arch

Site Supporter
Just got back from a short session on the river Dove, probably my last of the year/season. I don't generally go Barbel fishing after the clocks go back. I don't mind fishing in the dark, but would rather set up in daylight, a little awkward now the nights are drawing in, and I do work some Saturdays, so time is limited.

To say this season had been disappointing would be a massive understatement. I've put the effort in, but with very little reward. I had a PB Chub at the beginning of the season, which was nice, and odd Chub here and there. But as for the intended target, just the one Barbel of about 3-4lb. That's it.

I'm not a massively experienced Barbel angler, but I have had fish to 13lb 7oz in the past. But this year has really done me. I've tried everything. Three different types of Boilie, in singles, doubles, one and a half boilies, wrapped in paste, on their own. 20mm Halibut pellet, 14mm Halibut pellet, 8mm Halibut pellet, 15mm Halibut boilie. Hair rigged, banded, wrapped in paste, single, doubles. I've even banded some match style 8mm dumbells. I've also used Luncheon meat.

I've used size 4 and 6 hooks for the meat. 8 and 10s for the boilies. 12s for the 8mm pellets. Hooklengths have included 18lbs - 15lbs braid, 15lbs Double Strength, 10lbs Supplex. 2' 3' 4' long. I use a running lead clip. I've fished a feeder with G/B. I've plugged the ends up with G/B and put Hemp in, pellets in, a combo of both and crushed up boilies. I've fished a straight lead and loose fed bait. A gripper lead and put paste round it. Added a 5 boilie stringer.

I've fed hardly any bait, I've fed 10 large blockend feeders full of Hemp and pellet at the start. I've fished the fast shallows when the river has been low and clear. The deep holes when in flood. No matter what I've done, I haven't managed to catch a Barbel. I've even been there when two anglers in the next two downstream pegs have caught and I haven't. I've even bought the "Carbelling" gear and had two weekend sessions on the Trent at A1 pits complex in Newark.

One thing I did do that I don't think helped me this season, is swap to the Trent after a few weeks of the season. I've fished the Dove for the last 6 years, and now know it a little. But I pass the Trent on the way to the Dove so thought I'd drop in there and give that a go. I think I'd have been better sticking to the Dove TBH.

So that's it. I may get out if we're allowed over the Christmas period, but I doubt I'll do much more Barbelling until next season.

It's been tough. :(

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Is the Dove an 'easy' river? Sounds to me like it might not be even if it does hold Barbel but I don't know it so couldn't say. Same for Trent stretches, I don't know them, but know from the Severn that some stretches are more bankable than others. Hope you have a better next season.

Arch

Site Supporter
Is the Dove an 'easy' river? Sounds to me like it might not be even if it does hold Barbel but I don't know it so couldn't say. Same for Trent stretches, I don't know them, but know from the Severn that some stretches are more bankable than others. Hope you have a better next season.
Thanks. (y)

No it's not, and last years floods haven't helped. They moved a lot of silt and gravel about and ripped most of the weed out. But there are fish in it, and large ones at that. Last night a guy i know had two. A 12lbr then a new PB for him at 14lb 11oz. So they're in there, I just can't catch them.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Hi Mate,

Gutted for you to put that much effort in for no return, you are a top man and well deserve to have caught plenty. I think I can safely say that we have all been rooting for you to succeed.

I'll send you a PM

Tace care chip.

All the best

Kevin

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I think you've just been a tad unlucky Arch. There's been a couple of sessions when I thought I was going to blank but, in the last minute or two one of my rods has looped over. One bite one fish. You're never that far away from a blank Barbel fishing are you ? You're luck will change pal. ?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Thanks. (y)

No it's not, and last years floods haven't helped. They moved a lot of silt and gravel about and ripped most of the weed out. But there are fish in it, and large ones at that. Last night a guy i know had two. A 12lbr then a new PB for him at 14lb 11oz. So they're in there, I just can't catch them.
Some years it doesnt matter what you try or do it just doesnt happen ,other years you dont have to try and everything goes well ,strange and unexplained but i have those years .keep your head up and dream of a fantastic next year ?

squimp

Site Supporter
I applaud your effort. Try and find some positives from your blanks - you have tried new stretches/swims, tried different setups and seen others catch. All of that is good info to build on for next season. If you aren’t already doing so, think about keeping a fishing diary.

Specimen fishing can be hard work; you just have to accept that blanks are part of the game and that it takes time to work things out.

One suggestion would be that you find somebody of like mind to fish with. If you pool your information you can learn/work things out much more quickly.

If its any consolation, I’ve just started fishing a new stretch of the Thames and I’m 4 trips in and haven’t had a bite yet. I have a pretty good idea what I have let myself in for - a long stretch and few but big fish. So to catch I have to be in the right place at the right time.

I’m confident in my methods as I know they have worked elsewhere; and mates who fish similarly have caught monster fish from other bits of the same river. So I have to stick at it and the fish will come.

The bad news is that I need decent river conditions and so I need it to stop raining. Yesterday I was on a rising river with all sorts of rubbish coming down which made things difficult....

Onwards and upwards.