Thats Fishing

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Fished my local ponds yesterday, Its been very slow for the last 2 or 3 weeks with the fish not wanting anything but natural baits ( worm, casters etc) so only a minimum of pellets were prepared and a smidgen of fishmeal ground bait. Gave the 2mm expanders a quick try and straight into a 5lb Mirror carp, was catching regularly at 13m but then the wind got up so I dropped 2 sections but kept on the pellet. It turned out to be the most productive session I've had for months, all on expanders, eventually finishing up using 6mm ones. Unfortunately had to pack in when the light deteriorated as the fish were still feeding. A truly brilliant mixed bag , and it being unexpected was a bonus.
I wonder what was the trigger that started this feeding spree and why it seemed to affect all species? If anyone knows the answer let me know and I will gladly invest a few grand in sponsorship !!

smiffy

Site Supporter
Warm wind,decent temperature,good cloud cover and dropping pressure. Always has been perfect conditions. I had a lovely day on my river and the Roach were hanging themselves. Not my target species but I’m happy to catch net Roach all day?

IanG1

Site Supporter
Mild weather mate, was 14 deg when I got in the car yesterday morning at 7.00am to go fish a local commercial.
I go for the silvers and had a decent day catching skimmers and bream to 2lb and had 68 fish. The carp in there were jumping all over the place and the lads who fish for them were all catching where as a few weeks back on the same venue they couldn't get a bite and only the silvers fed.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Weird - couldn't get a bite on 4mm expanders last week on a mild day. Could only catch on maggot.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Apart from a few days where it went cold the temperatures been very good for fishing this autumn which makes it even more frustrating that we’ve had a ton of rain over the last 3 weeks!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I went for a walk along the Thames at Tadpole Bridge, was bloody freezing with the wind coming over the fields, .
I would have been wrapped up like Nanook of the North if I had been fishing.....
And I am from the north .
Got back to the car and the temp was showing 8 degrees, felt like 3 with the windchill factor.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I went for a walk along the Thames at Tadpole Bridge, was bloody freezing with the wind coming over the fields, .
I would have been wrapped up like Nanook of the North if I had been fishing.....
And I am from the north .
Got back to the car and the temp was showing 8 degrees, felt like 3 with the windchill factor.
I’ll be out on it somewhere on Sunday when the wind is finally meant to drop. Sure the river will be a mess though as still pretty high from last weekends rain by all accounts and apparently got a bit more forecast tomorrow ?

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I’ll be out on it somewhere on Sunday when the wind is finally meant to drop. Sure the river will be a mess though as still pretty high from last weekends rain by all accounts and apparently got a bit more forecast tomorrow ?
Apparently the stretch above the bridge is more sheltered, I walked down river from the Trout Inn at Tadpole Bridge.
The river was up an pulling through,
May look at Sandford stretches tomorrow.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Apparently the stretch above the bridge is more sheltered, I walked down river from the Trout Inn at Tadpole Bridge.
The river was up an pulling through,
May look at Sandford stretches tomorrow.
If you do be good if you could let us know how it looks? The lock channel will be fine and the old channel will be stuffed but the main river where they join could go either way.