That's Better (WDNAC Donut Lake, Ringstead)

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Took myself out of The Boss's way yesterday and fished Wellingborough's Donut lake at Ringstead. The two lakes, Donut & Snake, have no natural inflow except for run off from neighbouring land. Hence remain fishable when everywhere else is flooded. Donut gets the water first so was slightly more coloured than Snake. I had already decided to fish the Donut but the colour confirmed my choice given that the day was going to be sunny. It is also around a foot deeper at six foot when full.

The lake is stocked with small carp and a host of silvers. My approach is simple this time of year, feed micros and then try various baits until the one that is wanted on the day is found. Hookbait selection therefore was 2 & 4 mil expander, maggot, pinkie, worm and corn (for skins). I am experimenting with pellet soak flavours at the moment and yesterday used Copdock Mill's Mayhem F1 Dark. A sweet smelling liquid that isn't quite as sweet as the lighter coloured Mayhem F1.

The day was predicted to be windy so I opted for a 0.75g fat body-down shaped float (BGT Blue). Shotted with an olivette and two droppers. Two identical rigs, one set an inch overdepth and the other six inches over. 0.13 mainline, 0.08 hooklength (10 inch) with a B611 18.

Blue.jpg

On these lakes I have discovered that even when cold the fish will accept a fair bit of feed. Thus I feed one line (topkit +4) with a full 200mil pot of micros, the other with a small tosspot (free aerosol top ;)) full. The latter would be topped up regularly, the larger amount added to with the same 200mil after an hour or two. Water temperature was 6.9 degrees. So the signs were favourable.

After trying 4 mil expander, pinkie and corn skin for five minutes each I had my first fish on a 2 mil expander. That proved to be the best bait on the day. Presented on either rig fish came regularly if not rapidly for the first couple of hours. Then a bankwalker I know stood behind me chatting for about 30 minutes in which time I didn't get a bite. It was no more than two minutes after he left I had my next fish.

Ended the session after five hours with a total of 23 fish. five carp from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2lb, a 1 1/2lb crucian/fantail hybrid, ten small skimmers, four roach, three crucians around half a pound each.

After my two poor outings on the river it was nice to catch some fish on what was a pleasant day that didn't actually get too windy.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Took myself out of The Boss's way yesterday and fished Wellingborough's Donut lake at Ringstead. The two lakes, Donut & Snake, have no natural inflow except for run off from neighbouring land. Hence remain fishable when everywhere else is flooded. Donut gets the water first so was slightly more coloured than Snake. I had already decided to fish the Donut but the colour confirmed my choice given that the day was going to be sunny. It is also around a foot deeper at six foot when full.

The lake is stocked with small carp and a host of silvers. My approach is simple this time of year, feed micros and then try various baits until the one that is wanted on the day is found. Hookbait selection therefore was 2 & 4 mil expander, maggot, pinkie, worm and corn (for skins). I am experimenting with pellet soak flavours at the moment and yesterday used Copdock Mill's Mayhem F1 Dark. A sweet smelling liquid that isn't quite as sweet as the lighter coloured Mayhem F1.

The day was predicted to be windy so I opted for a 0.75g fat body-down shaped float (BGT Blue). Shotted with an olivette and two droppers. Two identical rigs, one set an inch overdepth and the other six inches over. 0.13 mainline, 0.08 hooklength (10 inch) with a B611 18.

Blue.jpg

On these lakes I have discovered that even when cold the fish will accept a fair bit of feed. Thus I feed one line (topkit +4) with a full 200mil pot of micros, the other with a small tosspot (free aerosol top ;)) full. The latter would be topped up regularly, the larger amount added to with the same 200mil after an hour or two. Water temperature was 6.9 degrees. So the signs were favourable.

After trying 4 mil expander, pinkie and corn skin for five minutes each I had my first fish on a 2 mil expander. That proved to be the best bait on the day. Presented on either rig fish came regularly if not rapidly for the first couple of hours. Then a bankwalker I know stood behind me chatting for about 30 minutes in which time I didn't get a bite. It was no more than two minutes after he left I had my next fish.

Ended the session after five hours with a total of 23 fish. five carp from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2lb, a 1 1/2lb crucian/fantail hybrid, ten small skimmers, four roach, three crucians around half a pound each.

After my two poor outings on the river it was nice to catch some fish on what was a pleasant day that didn't actually get too windy.
Well done Neil ,it was just a matter of time before you were catching , sounds like a lovely day 😀

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Nice report - it’s great to be catching after a tough dry spell (y)

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I think its down to confidence. On these two lakes I am very comfortable and expect to catch. What is another matter due to the excellent stocking policy of the club.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
I have no absolute formula. Its a bit of guesswork. I will use my standard two or three No.10 shot as droppers, everything else goes either as or around the olivette. Generally I will use an olivette around 0.2g less than the float's stated loading. This allows a bit of leeway if the float's loading is overstated.

stikflote

Site Supporter
Those BGT floats were excellent floats i still have some peatmores and some others think were called dorcons i forget now
but they are good floats,and the price was right