THAT'S A FAIR BIT OF COIN HE HAS CHUCKED IN THE BIN 😢

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Christ...imagine the sheer panic when he realised what he did. I bet he hasn’t slept properly in years!!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
if you believe him that is! no one mining bitcoin would just through the disk away!!!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I don't think he mined them, in the early days they were worthless and a few folks invested £20 or so and forgot about it. That's probably what happened here.

Chervil

Site Supporter
8 years in a landfill, chances of finding one bin bag under 1000s of tons of waste, just about zero. We had some teams searching for months, looking for some stuff, shortly after it was binned, in a known area. As far as I'm aware it was never found.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
anyone who mined or accepted bitcoin currency is a bit of a PC nerd and no way in hell would they throw the disk away, hell ive never thrown a HDD away!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be honest after just going through my accounts ready for my accountant, the amount him above has lost is small change compared to the tax rebate I expect to get back.
Even my new friend, Mr Amos Xynikkitta in Nigeria has said I should get a healthy rebate ;)

How does Bitcoin work what actually is it ??
Basically you buy nothing physically, and trade using it as a virtual currency. So you invest in nothing to start with and as the nothingness becomes more popular and more people buy into it, the more your share in bitcoin is worth.
It's a bit like doing internet banking and online purchasing but you can't make a withdrawal in hard cash.

It is also used as a massive basis for scams so stay well away from it Keith.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
If it is worth millions bit you can't convert it to hard cash what's the point?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Apparently you can trade with it. You could offer your services as a IT whizz and remotely fix people's PCs.
Charge them in Bitcoin which you can then use to buy WD40 and then use that for mending tv's and charge more Bitcoins to buy hammers for the bigger jobs.

Meanwhile Sly sells you the WD40 and with his Bitcoins he's charged you can then buy a used AA roadmap so he can find his way to Stikflote's so he can sit with him (socially distanced of course) whilst you remotely fix his Mac so he can talk to Pompous Git whilst he's playing with his Hamster that he just bought off a dodgy plasterer for 100 Bitcoins. The plasterer used his profits to buy more Stella and all the world is rosey :D

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
I have a Mate who got some redundancy money and at the time had another job to go straight into, he bought some Tesla shares with it 5K then now worth 50k+ Nice.

rudd

Site Supporter
Bit coin is the choice of currency of the dark web.
Just like the currency we use - its not real and is basically worthless.
Criminals use it as they cannot rip each other off and dont need dodgy meets in a dark car park anymore.
Also no need to launder it.

The only real currency is hard assets.
This is why that Tin Tin painting sold for 2.4 million
Anyone with money needs to convert it into hard assets - same with companies.
Artwork, super cars, jewellery, high end watches, london property, Monaco - all markets created so those with money can invest in hard assets.
Also works with countries - hence GOLD and other reserves.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Apparently you can trade with it. You could offer your services as a IT whizz and remotely fix people's PCs.
Charge them in Bitcoin which you can then use to buy WD40 and then use that for mending tv's and charge more Bitcoins to buy hammers for the bigger jobs.

Meanwhile Sly sells you the WD40 and with his Bitcoins he's charged you can then buy a used AA roadmap so he can find his way to Stikflote's so he can sit with him (socially distanced of course) whilst you remotely fix his Mac so he can talk to Pompous Git whilst he's playing with his Hamster that he just bought off a dodgy plasterer for 100 Bitcoins. The plasterer used his profits to buy more Stella and all the world is rosey :D

Genuinely the greatest explanation of Bitcoin I’ve ever read (y)