That, Sir, was worth the wait !

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
After a thread the other day I decided that the new stock pot was needed to spring into action

What I was missing in my life was a taste of "Old School Stew"

that being decided, the plans threw themselves into action

yesterdays supply run, merited a call at the Butchers, and amongst the other delights purchased over the counter was a Neck of lamb

Bought whole, the man with Kniives and cleavers, jointed it carefully for me, cutting it into parts that contained just one vertabrae, bagged and off home to begin the culinary adventure

a plastic measuring jug was found and the required dried vegetables were poured into it and water added, this was around 4pm, the neck was sorted, some set aside for another time, bagged and put in the freezer, the rest was laid into a bowl and rubed with oil, sea salt and fresh ground pepper, then covered with cling film and in the fridge

midday today began the proccessing, meat out and into a cast iron skillet, two knobs of butter and it was lightly browned

the dried mixed vegetables that had swelled enormously overnight and throughout the morn went into the stock pot, joined swiftly by the browned neck joints, water, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, a teaspoon of mixed spice, and three oxo cubes followed them and the heat set for a quick boil

10 mins later, with it hubblin and bubblin, the heat was reduced to a plain slow simmer and michael set to prepareing the rest of the required

leeks peeled and cut, onions cut into large chunks, the small spuds from the big bag, even though they are an arse to do, peeled and halved, carrots peeled and into large chunks, two sweetcorn husks rubbed of thier seeds and all set aside ready for later

the cooking smells were a bit of a "mmmh" all the long afternoon, around 7pm the fresh veg and spuds went in

I aint long finished two mahoosive bowls of the thick pottage, that along with a couple slices of fresh thick cut wholemeal bread has done me,

and theres untold left for tomorrow,(when it will be even thicker) and possibly some to stick in the freezer

Simple stuff for a simple man

Total

Site Supporter
@mickthechippy .....You're definitely a man of many talents...:)......Just finking, a short while ago you was having trouble posting a photo! :oops:....Evolution at its finest mate. ;)(y)

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Nooo didnt need HP on it, plenty to wrap your tastebuds around in it

tomorrow I might boil up the dumps in it for a whlie then take em out, pour the stew into a tray, replace the dumps on top, then stick it in the oven for an hour, gives the dumps a baked crust to em, while staying moist from laying in the stew

bluemack

Site Supporter
Hope you enjoyed it Mick,but gotta be honest it sounds awful i absolutely detest stew ,Just the
thought of it makes me feel queezy.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
Sounds good although i would of foregone the chilli flakes and perhaps stuck a few mint leaves in......

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Nooo didnt need HP on it, plenty to wrap your tastebuds around in it

tomorrow I might boil up the dumps in it for a whlie then take em out, pour the stew into a tray, replace the dumps on top, then stick it in the oven for an hour, gives the dumps a baked crust to em, while staying moist from laying in the stew
Wish I lived closer mate, have spoon will travel(y)

TonyA

Site Supporter
Try dropping a couple of chopped anchovies in - they disappear in the stew and they give anything a real flavour boost. No fishy taste at all.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
@mickthechippy Sounds a smashing Stew(y)
Just wondering what dried vegetables you soaked overnight?
John
In Waitrose they do a dried `ten bean mix`, I get a couple of those and mix them up with my pulses special. Bag each of green split
peas, yellow split peas, pearl barley and a much larger bag of red lentils. Then do a mix consisting of a bag of kidney beans, bag of
black eyed beans plus butter beans and any other dried beans I can find.
Mix the whole lot and put them in an airtight container with a smaller box `float`, left for twenty four hours to soak they make a top
draw basis for a proper stew. Got one today, its three days old and at its peak.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Generally use stewing beef for convenience and cost but have to admit for a proper stew lamb is king.