that sinking feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt

evening all, can anyone suggest a way of treating monofilament line to make it sink easier? i vaguely remember someone advocating the use of washing up liquid, but i can't remember whether this is to make the line sink or float. any suggestions gratefully recieved

You cheeky monkey!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Matt,

I generally use a drop of washing up liquid on a cloth. Wind your line through it to make it sink.

to make it float especially when stickfloating, wind it over a candle (not a lit one icon_smile_big.gif) and you'll find it'll lift off the surface easiy when striking or mending your line.

Dave

scouse

'River Man'
hi matt
leave your spool
in diluted washing up liquid overnight
that will do the trick,
to make it float i use vasaline
it also stops your rod rings freezeing up in winter
when on the river, (unless your a butterfly fisherman)LOL

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

matt

thanks guys, i was sure it was washing up liquid, but couldn't quite remembericon_smile.gif

You cheeky monkey!

kev coke

You have to remember matt that washing up liquid will degrade your line as well
kev

norm

but it will make your hands nice and soft

because hands that do fishing line feel as soft as your face, thats mild green----- fairy liquidicon_smile_clown.gif

see yas later
norm

matt

hi kev, i didn't realise that washing up liquid can degrade line. do you hve any info as to how long it is b4 the line is affected and how much strength is losticon_smile_question.gif. thanks for the warning

You cheeky monkey!

scouse

'River Man'
hi matt
just rinse your reel in cold water
when you get home
that it easy

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

kev coke

Matt over time washing up liquid breaks down the structure of your line making it brittle and so will snap easy you can do what scouse says and rinse the spool when you have finished but the damage has already started when you first put it on .
Is it your waggler line that you are trying to sink mate.
kev

Steve

You can get line sink and floatant from most tackle shops that cater for fly fishermen, it's normally a paste that you apply using a small cloth. For longer lengths of line it's best to wind half your line onto another reel and apply when you transfer it back. They normally sell small tins of each type at about 1.50ish each. For a few pounds you can get a double ended tin containing both.

matt

hi kev, its my method line that i'm trying to sink. when i cast out and sink the line, i find that i have to tighten up to the feeder quite hard, often moving it from the point where it landed by a few feet in order to fully sink the line. i'm looking to be able to fully sink the line without moving the feeder from where it touched down on the lake bed. any suggestions greatly appreciated
icon_smile_big.gif

You cheeky monkey!

Tester

hi matt the name is mark washing liquid is a bad formula for trying to make your line sink easier and quicker considering that it makes its float
anyway nice try try using a hevier line or a hevier wieght

kev coke

matt i think you need to change your line mate for my feeder work i use 4pound maxima for small carp and silvers and 10pound diawa sensor(5 quid for 600 meters cheap eh)but one tip i can give you is just before the feeder hits bottom push your rod tip under the water about a foot and then strike the tip out of the water quickly you only want the tip to come out of the water about 1 to 2 foot this will sink your line quick mate but it takes some practice to master it but what line are you using out of interest
kev

matt

thanks for the advise kev[:D]. i'm using 8lb berkley trilene at the moment, but i think i'll give daiwa sensor a go next time
tight lines(and hopefully sinking ones aswell lol)[:D]

You cheeky monkey!

Status
Not open for further replies.