That Machine's got my Money!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Tried to use the ATM at my local supermarket to withdraw £40 on Tuesday morning.
Entered my PIN, the machine returned my card, then whirred and banged for a few seconds before flashing up an 'Out of service' message.
No money.
I warned the next person waiting in line, and he pointed out the normal 'Insert your card' message which the screen now displayed.
He put his own card in, and the ATM happily gave him two £10 notes.

Stupidly, I tried again, this time asking for just £20. Got my card back, the machine repeatedly hacked and coughed like a cat trying to be sick, then went quiet and pronounced itself to be out of service.

My mobile banking app showed that the money had been taken from my account.

So I called the ATM providers, whose number was on the front of the machine.
"We can't do anything, you need to contact your bank".

I eventually got through to my bank, who told me the money MIGHT reappear in my account within 24 hours. They did not even take my details to record the problem.
Not happy, I drove to my local branch , where a very pleasant and patient young lady told me the same thing, and added that if I did not get a refund I could put in a 'discrepancy claim'.

It's now 48 hours, so I rang the bank again, who naturally, were still experiencing an unusually large number of calls.
I have put in a claim, and am told that the ATM company now have 17 working days to investigate and respond.
That's nearly three and a half weeks. And they've still got my £60.
I'm not going to go hungry because of this, but that's not the point. Banks used to do a full cash reconciliation at the end of every working day, surely the same should be possible with an ATM?

Has anyone else had ATM problems, and how did you resolve it?
:mad:

Last edited:

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Mine gave me £60 extra, courtesy of a Bridlington Branch. I am not going to query it !

Seriously, happened to me and the money was back into my account within a day (from memory)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Same here, I once tried to withdraw a few quids and the machine (Santander) went through the process, then stalled, then froze.
It swallowed my card and kept my money.

A quick call and it was all sorted within 24hrs,; the machines are reconciled each day and report what's gone out and what's remaining apparently.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Speed of error resolution all depends on who owns the machine and where it is located.

If the machine is in a bank branch then yes the staff will reconcile and refill daily. If a remote machine in a shop or elsewhere then it will probably be serviced and refilled every few days by a cash carrying company. Frequency will depend on usage.

Any unissued notes go into a purge bin and the amount has to be reconciled to the tally roll the machine prints. It will record when it purged the notes and why. Affected customers will be shown on the roll.

With a branch doing this daily errors can normally be rectified within 24 hours, longer over a weekend,

With a remote machine the cash cassettes including the purge will be removed and replaced with full cash boxes and an empty purge bin. The used bins will go back to a cash centre where the remaining cash including purged notes will be reconciled to the tally roll. The cash centre, run by the cash carrying company, will then need to contact any banks who's customers have been affected by an error, captured cards returned etc.. Because of the irregular servicing, steps that need to be taken, security involved and the different organisations this will always take time for remote machines.

P.S. Daily reconciliation of tills ended many years, actually now I think of it, decades ago. When I left in '94 it was weekly. Goodness knows what they do today.

Last edited:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
And a story about a machine error that I love.

Happened while I was at Walthamstow branch of Barclays. We had a new cash machine fitted. A short while after it was brought into service and the engineer had left we had a call from Head Office saying they had a complaint that our machine was displaying messages telling people to F Off and showing other offensive language. We looked and it was true so we switched the machine off.

Different engineer came to fix the problem. Apparently the installation engineer had created his own disk of messages to use when installing and testing the machine. For "fun" his messages were offensive. He had forgotten to remove his disk and replace it with the real one once he had finished.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
When I was living & working in Germany I put my card into a cash machine outside my bank. It whirred & buzzed a bit then with a clunk the plastic cover screen came down and "Out of Order" was displayed in German. I didn't even get as far as putting in my PIN. But it still had my card.
I went into the branch expecting to be told "Sorry. There's nothing we can do. It will be posted back to you in 7 - 10 days"

But no. The clerk I spoke to was extremely polite and apologetic. He temporarily closed his counter position and came out into the lobby with a big bunch of keys. He took me over to where a 'wall' turned out to be a big door to the back of the cash machines, opened the 'wall' and machine with his keys and fished out half a dozen 'lost' cards. He handed mine back to me with another apology and an assurance that he would get someone out to the faulty machine that same day.

(y)

bryanh

Site Supporter
Had exctly the same on two occasions recently. The first one was for a £40 withdrawal and a quick call to my bank resulted in the cash being returned to my account within 24 hours.

The second was for £400 and when I phone my bank, they advised that a large machine error like this would be passed to their investigation department and that it is usual in such cases for reconcilliation to take anything up to a month. In my case the cash was returned to my account two weeks later.
Must admit though it was a sqeaky bum fortnight waiting for the outcome of the bank's investigation to be completed.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
No, it was meant for a replacement tip for my Drennan Acolyte Ultra 13' rod, wot snapped yesterday on only the second occasion I've used it!
:cry:
😳. Wow ! Got to be worth a word with Drennan ? That shouldn’t happen mate. Sorry to hear that mate. That will have spoilt your day. 😫

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Footnote to this sorry tale, I had a text from the bank today, they have graciously accepted my claim, and the money returned to my account.
An apology from somebody might have been nice, but too much to expect these days.

At least the tackle shop asked me to pop in with the snapped tip of my Ultra, took one look at it and told me they would replace the whole rod F.O.C. as soon as the Drennan stock arrives, possibly this week.
Or is it stuck in a container in the Suez Canal? :oops:
Whatever, that's York Tackle for you, highly recommended by me!