That’s not a centrepin …

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I do like yours, the spindle end is in the centre of the brass cross, whereas mine is just far enough out to be annoying.
Or perhaps it's the positioning of the screws. Anyway, summat's amiss! :D
Do a blind man good to notice it.... Think I paid a tenner for that at Romsey a few years back...

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@banksy... I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of selling my soul for one of Leszeks masterpieces
Are those the reels by Leszek Deląg Arry?
I've seen a few pictures of his reels and they are truly things of beauty, almost to good to use but it would surely be a crime if they weren't put to the use intended after all the hours of love and attention that obviously goes into their creation.

Arry

Site Supporter
Are those the reels by Leszek Deląg Arry?
I've seen a few pictures of his reels and they are truly things of beauty, almost to good to use but it would surely be a crime if they weren't put to the use intended after all the hours of love and attention that obviously goes into their creation.
Yes they are... he's done another... its on TFF

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
20220330_102811.jpg

20220330_102838.jpg

You want a nice little 3" Hydraflo you do..😘

I have a 4" Aduraflo Dr luxe in mintish
16498833982531552643685278379708.jpg
condition.
16498832826652092333423170559569.jpg

Arry

Site Supporter
Thats lovely Steve...👌
I have a TideFlo... it was the first reel I bought

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
@banksy Similar to your old guy's reel....

fdWiLod.jpg

This was apparently a non anglers final apprentice piece, is exceptionally engineered and spins for absolutely ages. The knob on the front face drives a ptfe drag/brake and there is a counterbalance weight to this on the rear inside face of the drum. The centre pillar is double threaded to ensure that the retaining cap can't unscrew in use and fall off.

Light enough to fish with all day for me.

Paulchad

… THIS is a centrepin!

I was catching a few roach using a little 3" Paramore centrepin, when an old chap came by and commented on my tiny reel.

IMG_1492.JPG

"I think I can beat that" he said.
And returned a couple of minutes later with a real beast of a 'pin -

IMG_0637.JPG

Six inches in diameter, it spins like a dream.
It bears the name 'Harlow', but he knew nothing more about it.
A bit of digging revealed that the reel was sold by the fishing tackle shop Harlows, but like quite a few reels of the period, probably made by one of the rolls Royce engineers during his lunch break - or when he wasn't being watched.
Basically a big copy of the Renauld and Stanton reels, it was heavy, too heavy to trot with all day.

But I think I'd rather have his braces.
Who is selling the harlow?

Arry

Site Supporter
The chap who made this reel ( and others) modified my Mordex center bosses for me... his work is truly exceptional with a stunning eye for detail
20200916_141346.jpg

Last edited:

Arry

Site Supporter
See TFF for his latest masterpiece - I'd sell my wife for that one

Opps - see you already have (seen it - not sold your wife!)
If I was paid by the pound I might be able to afford one...🤣😛

Arry

Site Supporter
Absolutely exquisite Arry, I doubt that I could bring myself to actually fish with it if I was the lucky owner.
It's a criminal act not to... if it was mine it would get used, and I'd keep it clean but let the patina of age and use build... isn't that the point..?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know what you mean Arry, but I'm not sure if I would ever forgive myself if I damaged it.

Arry

Site Supporter
Well, I've put my name down for one of Leszeks masterpieces... given his age and health I doubt I'll ever get one, but I'm on the list... so fingers crossed...

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I've been booked in for about three years now Arry, and I would definitely use it.

My fishing mate bought a retired racehorse to ride in local point-to-point type competitions. The main problem he had with it, was that it would not slow down! Created and born to race, it was in the genes.
The same with a collie sheepdog we kept on our farm. It had never been trained, and sadly, was kept on a long chain in a kennel by the farm gates, to act as a guard dog. I felt sorry for it, so used to take it for long walks. We had no sheep, but at the sight of sheep on a neighbour's farm, the dog started shaking and whining and pulling at the lead. Created and born to herd sheep, it was in the genes.

A centrepin reel is surely created and born to be used for fishing. Otherwise, it is just a pretty lump of metal and wood, with no spirit.
Is it fanciful to consider a reel to have spirit?
Beautiful as it is, the latest reel is a little too ornate for my tastes, I would prefer something a little simpler.
The sheer quality of the engineering and the finishing is more than enough.
In any case, mammoth tusk as a material is a bit ordinary.
I have a bit of Unicorn horn somewhere in the garage, now a reel inlaid with polished slices of that ...
:unsure:;)