Thames South Oxfordshire

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Going to be spending a lot of time in the Wallingford/Goring area over the next few months and was wondering where on the river was available either on a day ticket or free fishing, the area around Goring looks good for barble and silver fish and predators especially through the town section below the gates and upstream towards North Stoke seems to be a river for all species so it looks good around there and I've got access to a fair length of very private bank that holds good bream roach and pike so that might be a decent start

If anyone could give a heads up on areas or venues either on here or by pm to avoid publicity then it would be appreciated, theres a few members from the Oxfordshire area so I'm hoping I might get a pointer or two

Thanks

Bri

squimp

Site Supporter
Mates of mine fish that general area and have caught huge fish of most species.

how do 40lb carp, 18 + barbel and chub to nearly 8lb grab you. Big bream ( by accident) Also.

That’s the good news; the bad news is that:

some stretches are well known particularly for barbel and get quite heavily fished Eg round Marlow; and the stretches with legal night fishing.
the fish are very mobile and hard to keep tabs on.
the big fish are quite thin on the ground.
some of the successful swims require boat access.
it is totally condition dependent. One mate did 9 straight blanks and then had 2 15+ barbel in 2 trips.

the really bad news is that I don’t know the stretches/swims (they haven’t told me and I haven’t asked!) so I can’t tell you any more detailed info.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Going to be spending a lot of time in the Wallingford/Goring area over the next few months and was wondering where on the river was available either on a day ticket or free fishing, the area around Goring looks good for barble and silver fish and predators especially through the town section below the gates and upstream towards North Stoke seems to be a river for all species so it looks good around there and I've got access to a fair length of very private bank that holds good bream roach and pike so that might be a decent start

If anyone could give a heads up on areas or venues either on here or by pm to avoid publicity then it would be appreciated, theres a few members from the Oxfordshire area so I'm hoping I might get a pointer or two

Thanks

Bri

Depends on what you call south Oxfordshire. There’s free fishing first field downstream of the bridge at Wallingford. Has plenty of roach, dace, bleak and pike. Then Clifton hampden has free, day ticket and very cheap club fishing that is good for roach, dace, chub, bleak and perch. Even the stretches in and around Oxford itself is just about south Oxfordshire and has plenty of very cheap club fishing for roach, dace, bream, chub, bleak, perch, gudgeon and pike. Worthing noting that the Oxfordshire Thames is primarily a summer and autumn Fishery that can get very hard once you get into December. Wallingford is as far south as I venture I’m afraid so can’t help below that point. Around Oxford is my home patch though so I know it like the back of my hand so happy to help in anyway I can if that’s not too far from you 👍🏻

squimp

Site Supporter
Interesting. I have fished round Oxford quite a bit but only in the Winter And definitely only when the river is right. Last winter was a write off as the river was too high.

As Silverfisher says Clifden Hampden is nice as is Long Wittenham just above. There were (maybe still are) some big roach round Abingdon.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Interesting. I have fished round Oxford quite a bit but only in the Winter And definitely only when the river is right. Last winter was a write off as the river was too high.
That’s the issue it’s rarely right in the proper winter these days. Can be in decent nick in December and the last couple weeks of the season but January and February have seen it out of sorts for a good few years now.

squimp

Site Supporter
Earlier I mentioned a mate having 9 consecutive blanks - that was because the river was too low. Last Winter there was too much water which demonstrates how critical the conditions are; at least for the specimen fishing that me and my pals do. And the conditions are species specific for us which makes it even trickier.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Indeed, you go from the fairly reliable bounty of summer and early autumn to a lottery from late autumn into the winter. Last year was flooded or borderline flooded next to constantly from the end of October until start of March wasn’t it 🙁

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Looking forward to giving it a go, might be taking my lure rod and gear down with me to do a bit of fact finding, well perch pike and chub will do for a start

Cheers guys, any more info appreciated, can do by pm if anyone wishs

Bri

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Yes, sorry read it on Saturday and meant to reply so a very public thank you, very informative and just what I was looking for, no heads up on swims or pegs, a good heads up on broad areas and species, back down on Monday next and will be taking my light lure gear with me for a few opportunistic sessions chasing a few fish and hopefully coming across some local anglers

Any joy and I'll put something up, will be trying the whip and maggot/caster to see if the roach want to play, its one of my favourite methods to fish