Thames Session Of Two Parts

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
After about 10 days off the banks due to wind and rain I was back on the Thames again today in lovely mild calm weather for another session this time with sandford below the confluence of the lock channel and old channel being the venue. I had expected the river to be very messy so had decided on a chub day but turned out whilst it was very much still bombing down the middle it had some slacks down the sides and had a perfect colour so actually looked reasonably good for roach.

Had a bit of a late start at just before 9 after taking a while to choose a swim with a suitable slack and despite the better than expected conditions I decided to start on the feeder for chub seeing as I’d got worms and bread for them. That was not a good move as I stuck at it until just before 12 for nothing on worm and bread and just a handful small fish on maggot. At that point I switched to the stick (a fair bit later than I should have!) and then started to pick up a reasonable amount of fish. Was nothing like the pace of catching I had even as recently as a month ago but was not bad for the time of year and conditions. I packed up a bit after 2 by which point I’d had about 20 reasonable roach, 2 bleak, 1 chublet and 1 perch so whilst it was a pretty naff total for the day it didn’t seem too bad considering the vast majority of the catch came in well under half the session. I really should have done the sensible thing for the conditions and started on the float as pretty sure that would have doubled my catch but you live and you learn! I’ve had plenty of really good roach sessions this season so I can live with missing out on another one today.

Is hardly worth mentioning the feeder set up but the float caught fish fell to the usual 13ft drennan acolyte ultra float rod paired with the drennan 7 series 3000 float reel loaded with 3lb maxima to a 3bb drennan stick to a drennan silverfish size 18 to 2lb hook to nylon. This was set up to trip the bottom in about 4.5ft of water and hook bait was a single red maggot with loose feed of red maggots over the feeder laid frenzied hemp groundbait and liquidised bread.

My grandad was with me again and stuck to the chub approach mainly because he wasn’t sure he could stay upright to trot in what was possibly the muddiest swim we’ve ever fished. It had clearly been underwater just a couple days ago as it made the Somme look like a tennis lawn! He did eventually get a fish which was a chub but it was only about 10oz.

All in all as the title suggests it was a rubbish morning but a reasonable afternoon. I was certainly left cursing not float fishing from the start as whilst I’m sure I wouldn’t have done as well as I often did earlier in the season I’m pretty sure I’d have doubled the catch which would have been a good result for the time of the year and conditions.

Looks like only one day of rain this week so the river should be at a better level for a session next weekend although we are due a temperature drop as well which will no doubt pose it’s own challenges. Oh to be back in the glory days of the fairly stable conditions and the consistent catching of the first half of the season!

Pic of the swim midway through the session, a couple roughly stamp roach and the chublet.
1606063788954.jpeg

1606063801579.jpeg
1606063812536.jpeg
1606063833067.jpeg

Last edited:

Robwooly

Never mind the fishing look at the size of those two kingfishers on the far bank in the first photo :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never mind the fishing look at the size of those two kingfishers on the far bank in the first photo :)
Haha various trees were full of rubbish like that which shows how high it must have been a few days ago! Reckon it'll be not far off spot on the next couple days whilst I'm sat at work!

adriang

Site Supporter
Can't beat roach on the stick!..

Were you on the 'island' or on the Reading (?) side? If the weather holds, I think @warrington63 and I are going to have a try down there at the end of the week.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Can't beat roach on the stick!..

Were you on the 'island' or on the Reading (?) side? If the weather holds, I think @warrington63 and I are going to have a try down there at the end of the week.

Yeah should have been on the stick a lot earlier so I could have caught a lot more! Still kicking myself now as was probably another 10lb plus bag for the taking there.

Was on the same side as the reading part e.g old channel of the Littlemore/O.D.A.A water but down below the confluence of the old channel and lock channel rather than the old channel itself so on the O.A.A.A water instead. Basically opposite the meadow part of the Littlemore/O.D.A.A water. The old channel is still too high and I don't really like fishing the lock channel and was a bit muddy to trek the meadow.

Temperatures consistently drop below 10 from Thursday onwards which is generally the start of struggling season on the Thames unless the nights are unusually warm. Just makes it more annoying that I probably blew a good bag today by not float fishing for longer in possibly the last mild weather for a while! We've certainly had the best part of the season for silvers now but tbf it's been a very good season for them for me and most others I've read about and spoken to so can't really complain if it's hard from now on.

Last edited:

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
Nice write up as always Silver! Nice for your Grandad too that he stuck at it and didn’t end up with a blank.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice write up as always Silver! Nice for your Grandad too that he stuck at it and didn’t end up with a blank.
Thanks 👍🏻

He didn’t so much stick at it by choice it was more that once his boots were caked with mud he wasn’t risking standing up again up until we went home as I nearly went in several times 😂

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Had a look at Littlemore stretch at Sandford yesterday, Main part was either still or slight flow, silvers and perch of various sizes being caught, looking at the way the silvers were taking the bait it was more like fishing for F1's, slight dink on the float. They were not feeding over the feed more in between the two spots, The blokes who were fishing were catching but the fish seemed finicky, also weed still present on the bottom and water going clear.no bleak showing
The perch were caught down the side on worm.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Had a look at Littlemore stretch at Sandford yesterday, Main part was either still or slight flow, silvers and perch of various sizes being caught, looking at the way the silvers were taking the bait it was more like fishing for F1's, slight dink on the float. They were not feeding over the feed more in between the two spots, The blokes who were fishing were catching but the fish seemed finicky, also weed still present on the bottom and water going clear.no bleak showing
The perch were caught down the side on worm.
That’ll be lock channel almost every angler I saw was heading that way. Only a few of us brave soles were on the actual river parts.

It’s a bit too like canal fishing on the lock channel for my liking I prefer to be on more running water on the old channel where I was earlier in the summer or down where the river becomes one again where I was yesterday. Have had a couple good sessions up on the lock channel in the past though with one for mostly roach and the other for mostly perch.

Saw a few people caught at medley as well yesterday though. They didn’t get double figure bags like was the norm earlier in the season but very respectable upper single figure bags for the time of year and conditions. Someone had 40lb at Donnington though as they landed on the bream!

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
The Littlemore bailiff told me about Donnington bridge stretch.
There are some good bream coming out of the lock channel before the weir ,opposite the hotel.
One or two anglers were heading for the meadows, some were also fishing the EA stretch below the lock.
I didnt know you can have a free night permit on the Littlemore card,
Also the pay and display machine at the kings arms at sandford has been removed

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Donnington is a good year round stretch but is just a bit lively for me but might have to give it a go soon now it’s turning cold.

Didn’t realise the pay and display had gone either but I always park at sandford lane seeing as I’m always on the old channel or main river anyway.