Thames Lock and Weir Permit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedric

Does anybody fish the locks & weirs of the Thames, are they any good, is the permit worthwile at 25. What are the practical advantages. I've read their guide but would appreciate the thoughts of an actual user.

http://www.visitthames.co.uk/uploads/fishing.pdf

chas

Originally posted by Cedric

Does anybody fish the locks & weirs of the Thames, are they any good, is the permit worthwile at 25. What are the practical advantages. I've read their guide but would appreciate the thoughts of an actual user.
I've often wondered about this myself mate, - for instance - do you get a key and actually fish from/on the locks and weirs...or do you just have access to the banks near to the l & w's? good luck with your fishing. Chas
http://www.visitthames.co.uk/uploads/fishing.pdf

Cedric

You have to report to the lock-keeper who swaps you a key for your permit as deposit. Apparently you get all the best parts exclusively, locks, weirs, banks etc.

Minipeace

I use to have a weir permit going back some years. Fished Marlow and Goring on it. There use to be time limits as well and some weirs are harder to fish than others. I can't remember the name of one we looked at but it was almost a no no but I think they have removed a few which were deemed unsafe.
Marlow was taken off the permit but I still fish it from the bank all be it on a private owned bank.
A weir permit allows access to the weir and not the side banks which are mostly private owned unless stated and the same applies to the locks. I also believe the lions mouth on all weirs is also a no go area now but I've only heard that so could not say if its true or not.
When I last fished them under a permit the weir at Goring you could sit on the dry sills, depending on river height and my best fish there was a 9lb bream, some very nice double pike and the odd trout and barbel oh and not forgeting the perch and chub.

Lots of good fish found in the weirs on the thames[;)], but they are hard waters to fish and may take a while to explore but thats part of the adventure.
I would strongly advise you to purchase a life jacket to be on the safe side. The currents on the weirs are missleading with the top flow of water showing one direction but the current under the water flowing in a different direction in some cases. The crewmaster one I have is very good and inflates when a valve gets wet and will help to keep you in an upright postion ie you slip, bang your head, out cold, slip into the main river, boom up goes your life jacket and it saves your life. The amount of people who do not wear them that I see is just daft. Clothing, cold water and flows spell disaster no matter how well you think you can swim.

Last edited:

Cedric

Thanks for that Minipeace, I think I will mosey down and have a look at others fishing first. It looks like below Marlow and above Runnymede are out of bounds now which takes some of the shine off the idea.

I fished Windsor Racecourse all last year which included Bovney weirpool bank. Only fishes well dawn or dusk, I am a bit of a 9 to 5 man which is pretty much the weir permit hours. Thanks for the Crewmaster advice, some weirs are a bit unforgiving by the looks of them.

Minipeace

Its a shame that some are no longer available.
I've just got home after spending an evening at marlow weir. Had a barby with a few fishing friends, some great stories and two of them stayed on to have a cast at midnight. The weir looked nice so can't wait to wet my line.

davidsenior

15/03/03 - 22/06/16
In Memoriam
Cedric, you can fish the weir at St Johns lock, Lechlade with a day ticket costing 2-3 from the Trout Inn, by the lock.
Barbel, Chub, Roach, Perch, Pike, Trout, Bream, bleak, etc.[:D]

You can also get access on day ticket to fish below the lock and the old weir at Buscott, ticket from Turners Tackle shop in Faringdon, only a couple of quid.
Chub,Perch,Trout,Roach,Pike,Barbel....and the ever present Thames bleak.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.