Thames afloat again

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
With quite a strong wind blowing and the threat of rain in the forecast I didn't really fancy one of my usual 6-7 hours or so on the bank sessions so I thought I'd take my little boat out for a few hours and have a few casts with some maggots and hemp I had left over from Monday's medley session. I decided on the Thames at Clifton Hamden as the venue as although I've fished it many times from the bank I've never taken the boat out there so thought I'd have a bit of an explore. I probably only actually fished for 3 hours tops and came across a pretty decent spot the first one I tried which produced 7 5-6oz roach, a 10-11oz chub, a small dace and the inevitable dozen or so bleak. Once the bleak moved in I decided to move as although I probably could have got back on the roach the aim of the game was to explore so off I went anyway. In hindsight I definitely should stayed put as the next couple spots were bleak city with the exception of the odd chublet or small dace. It was still nice to see the river from the boat again and it was topped off with burger and chips washed down with a pint of tribute in the pub afterwards.

david white

Site Supporter
Barley Mow on the bend by the bridge ? Haven’t been there or fished the Thames at Clifton for getting 21 years but thanks for jogging the many memories

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That’s the one, was very pleased to see the tribute on tap! I don’t fish it more than a couple or so times a year really as I generally fish the stretches around oxford that are closer to home but I have had some good days down at Clifton over the years.