text speak .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi All

I've got a strange feeling i'm going to regret this but.......

After all the <ahem> discussion recently over the use of "text speak" i thought some of you might like to read This

My own feelings are that the school should either
1) fail the girl in question
2) should make her take extra curricular english
3) ban all use of mobile phones within the school grounds
4) make all pupils hand over their phones when they enter school grounds & only hand them back at home time.

Alan

Datafile3.gif
There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

norm

lol
i no wot u mean m8 i thk its bad 2

i wonder what she got out of 10 for spelling

martin.

Account Locked
hi alan
i agree with your points 1 & 2 completely
3 i disagree with unless its an exam day &/or there switched
off or to silent
4 i disagree with but to hand them in on entrance to an exam

i would also like to add
5 if any pupil uses text in any class/ lesson that is handed in then they should be made to rewrite it in proper english grammer
twice before it is marked
6 if any text is used in an exam paper it should be failed completely

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

Beebs

Dead right. Fail her. If you've got a few hundred exam papers to mark, why should you have to spend half an hour deciphering one person's paper.

The same is cropping on here. Text speak is all very well when you're limited to the amount of characters you can use. So why use it on a forum where characters are unlimited???? Unless you can't/won't write properly. In which case I can't/won't bother replying.

Whoops, just saw the previous discussion/argument. Didn't mean to repeat anything.

Last edited:

Lid

I don't think there is any question about it!! It is simply not English and so cannot possibly score more than just a VERY few marks to acknowledge the attempt and any possible structure of the essay.

As to mobile phones. I agree kids should be allowed to possess them, but they must be switched off during the all lessons and excluded from exams.

Lid [:)]

norm

it is not done for limited keys etc

it is supposed to be done for quickness

but it sometimes takes longer to read and understand

i agree with all points .
keep it out of schools
or before long every one will be as bad a speller than me

iobrien2002

Paddy
i dunno bout ur points. i mean even if they r not allowed there fones in skool they will still use the text language cos they will hav there fone at home

I.O'Brien

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don't mind kids having mobile phones, but they shuold be turned off whilst at school.

I don't object to anybody sending me e-mails or PMs using text talk, I just don't read them. Just like some of the posts on here.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

martin.

Account Locked
the reason for these postings is that for exams ect at school we believe that the true english language should be used.
or do you go to a shcool that does not teach true english.
text talk was thought up for mobile phones & i use it myself on there .
BUT i realise that there are people of all ages on here& i therefor out of respect for some of the older ones (hello geoff) ill use true english grammar even though my spelling is not perfect

tight lines.
martin.

Lid

Hi Ian

I think the points raised are talking about two separate issues :

a) Writing essays, letters, posts etc. in text spk is not English (at least not yet) and hard to understand if you don't use text yourself;
and
b) the use of mobile phones in any capacity during school hours is disruptive and anti-social to those around you.

Lid [:)]

joe1987

'Darwener'
im 15 and doing my GCSE coursework and i use "text talk" when on my phone but theres no point in school. Obviously they should fail her because it's ENGLISH not a new lesson called text talk. I don't know anyone who writes in that everyone uses it in emails, txts ect, because it saves time.

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

Beebs

It's not that I don't understand text speak, I just don't see the need for it in computers. The "It saves time" argument is b*****ks. If you've only got 120 characters to use, it makes sense to abbreviate, otherwise it's another message and more cost. If you've got time to sit at a computer and hook up to the internet, you've got time to write properly, after all it doesn't cost any more to attempt to now does it?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Text Talk is all well and good in it's place.......A MOBILE PHONE!!!

On a forum,in a letter,school work or a business report isn't the place for it.
In the last couple of months i've seen it in 3 CV's,unfortunatly for these people they didn't even get to the interview stage,as the use of text talk just conveyed a sense of laziness and lack of attention to detail,maybe unfairly but it cost 3 young school leavers the chance of a Motor Trade Apprentiship.[:(]

1st impressions are lasting impressions so keep the text talk to your mobiles.[:)]

Peter.

Make Friends,
Go Maggotdrowning.

martin.

Account Locked
well said & a good point peter
i think that sums it allup about text tlk

tight lines.
martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.