Tewkesbury Avon and Severn and surrounding area

Tewks

Hi everyone

I have experience with sea fishing but have decided to get into freshwater fishing having moved to Tewkesbury.

I am trying to figure out who has the fishing rights to each part of the Avon and Severn in around Tewkesbury. I believe that the Tewkesbury Popular Angling Association has rights on lots of parts of the Avon and Severn around here plus the Birmingham Angling Association. Does anyone have a map of which parts are owned by whom and also which parts are free too?

Really looking forward to fishing for silver fish and the like and also some Pike and Zander which I have heard this area is a hotspot for!

Any tips or help for this area would really be appreciated!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Lads I work with have had some good Bream days this season on the Avon at Mythe (BAA) and plenty of big Carp have been reported as well.
Mythe Pool was always a good mixed fishery but not fished it for many years.
Lower Severn by you is premier Zander water and there are massive fish Worcester all the way to Tewkes.
Uckinghall has a good stock of Grass and big Carp and a few of these found there way into the Severn.

Last edited:

Tewks

Thanks Lee! I heard good things about the pools and uckinghall from Bankside Tackle.
Going to pop into the tackle shop in Tewkesbury too to see they sell the TPAA permits and also ask about free spots too.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
That's okay mate and sorry I can't help a bit more. Upton/Severn Stoke is my limit on the Lower
Post on the Severn thread as there are members from your area and they may be able to help.

squimp

Site Supporter
The Tewkesbury club has the fishing on the Ham (main river Severn) and the Mill Avon thru the town and down to where Lower Lode meets the main river. Above that on the Severn is Mythe as already mentioned (BAA).

you can get the local club tickets from the small tackle shop in the town. Parking In the town can be an issue and there are some long walks. Mythe is great at you can drive along the river when it isn’t muddy.

decent bream, a few barbel (not what it was 10 years ago), quite a few carp, pike and potentially huge zander in that area.

there is a free EA stretch at Uckinghall that has produced big barbel and zander but it has allegedly been plundered by ‘east europeans’ taking fish for the pot.

there is ano BAA stretch on the Avon just above Tewkesbury and a well known one higher up on the Severn at Severn Stoke.

Tewks

That's okay mate and sorry I can't help a bit more. Upton/Severn Stoke is my limit on the Lower
Post on the Severn thread as there are members from your area and they may be able to help.
No, it was another piece in the puzzle so thank you! I will check out that thread, thanks

Tewks

The Tewkesbury club has the fishing on the Ham (main river Severn) and the Mill Avon thru the town and down to where Lower Lode meets the main river. Above that on the Severn is Mythe as already mentioned (BAA).

you can get the local club tickets from the small tackle shop in the town. Parking In the town can be an issue and there are some long walks. Mythe is great at you can drive along the river when it isn’t muddy.

decent bream, a few barbel (not what it was 10 years ago), quite a few carp, pike and potentially huge zander in that area.

there is a free EA stretch at Uckinghall that has produced big barbel and zander but it has allegedly been plundered by ‘east europeans’ taking fish for the pot.

there is ano BAA stretch on the Avon just above Tewkesbury and a well known one higher up on the Severn at Severn Stoke.
Thanks Squimp for all that info! I had heard that taking fish for the pot had been an issue around the West Midlands, shame it is happening around here too.

I had noticed that BAA stretch, I think that is there area just under the M5 bridge over the Avon? I had heard that part is quite good and that's the reason I am interested in joining the BAA.

Thank you so much for the help. The Zander fishing sounds fun and, whilst i have bought a rod, reel and tackle to do float fishing for silver fish etc to start me out, I think I may be able to use my 9ft spinning rod I use for bass to do some lure fishing for Zander.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Plenty of Perch in the Avon and Severn now so lure fishing is the way to go.
Fair number of the big Zeds fall to lure fishing.

Tewks

Sounds like I have a great mix of fishing around here, really looking forward to it.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
That one trip was my only one in the area. Not long after my son was med. discharged from the army and has moved to a new area.

I can't offer any advice on the rivers. It has been years since I fished either Avon or Severn.

Daisy is still interested in fishing and has found some lakes near where they now live. When we can we will be going out again.

As I said in my piece about Hillview, I found it a well run fishery, friendly and some of the best water quality and fish I have seen.

squimp

Site Supporter
Don’t forget the catfish.

there are some huge fish in the stretch between Tewksbury and Worcester. Biggest landed was around 80lb I think !

a few years ago a mate and I were barbel fishing on The Ham at Tewksbury and he hooked a fish that flat rodded him and then emptied his reel. He used to hold the U.K. barbel record so he knows what he is doing.......he couldn’t stop that fish.

Tewks

That one trip was my only one in the area. Not long after my son was med. discharged from the army and has moved to a new area.

I can't offer any advice on the rivers. It has been years since I fished either Avon or Severn.

Daisy is still interested in fishing and has found some lakes near where they now live. When we can we will be going out again.

As I said in my piece about Hillview, I found it a well run fishery, friendly and some of the best water quality and fish I have seen.
Thanks for the reply Neil, I think I have my heart set on rivers at the moment but those pools sound like some nice fishing.

Tewks

Don’t forget the catfish.

there are some huge fish in the stretch between Tewksbury and Worcester. Biggest landed was around 80lb I think !

a few years ago a mate and I were barbel fishing on The Ham at Tewksbury and he hooked a fish that flat rodded him and then emptied his reel. He used to hold the U.K. barbel record so he knows what he is doing.......he couldn’t stop that fish.
Note to self, by a telephone pole and atlantic telecom cable when fishing around here!!