Tevant Farm Fishery

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Yesterday saw me and @Mrs Munch head to a new venue for us. Tevant Farm Fishery. There is very little info available about this hidden away place so much so that we had the main lake all to ourselves. There are 3 separate lakes here, the first is right next to the car park and I would say it is a beginners lake, 50 feet and 20 feet wide (ideal for learning pole) such was the case with a young lad being taught by his grandfather when we arrived. The main lake looks very old, ancient trees line the banks, a couple of Lilly sections and rushes sporadically dotted around the margins. The 3rd lake is divided off the main lake by a walkway and is about half the size. This isn't a commercial fishery at all. This is old school where you have to work for the fish. Rudd, Bream, Carp with the odd Ide, Crucian and Perch. We picked swims on the North back with the wind to our backs, I suggested a swim for Mrs Munch to my right that was open (no trees either side) but had a nice bit of shrubbery and cover to her right for margin work. I fished central but I had a small bush to my left and tree branches trailing overhead that restricted a full overhead cast.
The poor Mrs was knackered, These night shifts are killing her, we were getting out of bed just as she would normally be going to bed so I had better watch myself or I will be in for a lashing! I had the night before swapped the line on her reel. I had no idea what it was that was on there but it was coiling and I was sure it was hampering her cast. I had changed the line on one of my spools to Guru Pulse and had already tried it and really liked it so I loaded her up with that.
Once set up and depth plumbed (3 feet) we were away and fishing maggot over hemp, my first fish being a beauty of a Rudd, a species I had not caught since I was a lad so I was well chuffed. Second fish was a nice nice mature slab of around 2.5 lbs. Nice! Mrs was catching Rudd and seemed happy enough, the new line certainly had made a difference as I was soon to find out! Err darling came the call... Yes??? I seem to have a bit of a problem!! I looked to my right and she had the rod pointing up at a stange angle, I could just make out the line heading skyward. WTH is going on there? She had only gone and chucked her terminals into a branch some 30 feet away and 15 feet from the surface and it was stuck solid! Oh Blx !! I took the rod and explained the safest way to deal with this situation was to just walk backward and not to yank as the float if it came free would shoot toward you at a great rate of knots and if it hit you, you could be hurt. Walking backward meant it would land in front of you, either on the bank or in the water. Once the line did break the float landed in the water some 15 feet away in the water, just out of reach but strangely it was completely bare as I was later to find out.
Once set up again she was away and on the Rudd.
In order to escape the Rudd I had set up the cage feeder and was casting to the small Island with a mix of Sweet Breams, Hemp and corn filling the cage. I put in several casts building the swim up then the resident geese decided to go all blitzkrieg on one another completely ruining the swim I had been building up. Back to the waggler it was then. Swapping to corn and using the groundbait lead to me catching several good bream, the bubbles they made as they fed were mesmerising as they got closer and closer to the hookbait.... Big lift bite and that was another hooked. Mrs. Munch was not really into the day, she was tired, cold and her hands were freezing as I found out when she stuck them up my top! I swear steam came off us!!
She did eventually catch her first ever proper adult slab which was a bonus for her, two more new species ticked off the list in one outing.
I ended up with a very good head of slabs to my name along with more Rudd than I can count. No carp (that's a good thing) and a pleasant day on a really nice unspoilt and underfished venue. A very nice man comes and collects your money (£6) and he was very welcoming but did arrive by saying "Morning gents", I quickly corrected him before he got the early bath!

We will be back, and given our new knowledge will target the bream from the off. I just hope next time the lovely Mrs isn't so tired as she once again made progress, advancing from sunken branches to full mature trees!

Munchy

DSC_0242.JPG

IMG-20210501-WA0001.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds good to me too, also love finding a nice out of the way and not heavily publicised place with good fishing. (y)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
It's a lovely old place and so little used that there is grass all the way around! The only area with mud is the bridge that separates the two bigger lakes where dog walkers come through the land despite several signs telling them not to... A proper old school fishing experience with no pellet pigs. That's a big win for me. You need to work for the results. I have heard complaints about is being 5hit but the comments are probably coming from people who are used to overstocked commercial fisheries who do not know anything other than pole and pellet.
For me, it's a gem. I will be back and if it fishes well in a cold northerly I'm sure it will do just as well when things warm up a little. Maybe not in the height of summer as at only 3 feet deep it will get a little too warm. If I had targeted Bream from the outset there is no doubt in my mind I would have hit or come close to the magic 100lbs. Let me just add that all the fish we caught were fin perfect. Not a ripped lip nor missing scale.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I love my Bream fishing. My experience of them in shallow water is you usually get a few 'acrobatic' ones that leap out of the water when hooked. :LOL: Always fun.

scuttster

Site Supporter
Sounds like you had a nice day. Always like catching bream. Just think if @Mrs Munch was fully awake you'll have some competition on your hands for biggest catch of the day. Though it is surprising how easy it is a have a little doze on those feeder chairs!

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Sounds like you had a nice day. Always like catching bream. Just think if @Mrs Munch was fully awake you'll have some competition on your hands for biggest catch of the day. Though it is surprising how easy it is a have a little doze on those feeder chairs!
My hope is that one day she will be giving me a head to head competition. Tiredness and cold really hampers her right now but we will get there and this little place is just the place to do it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A good day by all accounts (y)

Ben Fisk (@Fisky) had a very nice Carp out of there a few months ago, just into double figures if memory serves me right.
The place hasn't been stocked for aeons so what you have in there is 'as nature intended' from the original stocks.
A lovely place, not overfished at all, not to everyone's liking, but as close as you'll get to small pond fishing

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Thanks for the heads up @Dave. A lovely venue that we shall be visiting again soon. I sit here awaiting @Mrs Munch report on the same day. Have my lessons in diplomacy worked I wonder?
No. Probably not!

Total

Site Supporter
@MunchMyStump ......Cracking report and reads like a nice day....Glad you both enjoyed it....:)

Mrs M' would benefit muchly from a small side tray to adorn her new seat.....;)(y)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Sounds like a tidy day out on a little gem of a water - more satisfying when you know you’ve worked for the fish in your net rather than having them guaranteed with high density sto king levels.

biggsy

Site Supporter
It's a lovely old place and so little used that there is grass all the way around! The only area with mud is the bridge that separates the two bigger lakes where dog walkers come through the land despite several signs telling them not to... A proper old school fishing experience with no pellet pigs. That's a big win for me. You need to work for the results. I have heard complaints about is being 5hit but the comments are probably coming from people who are used to overstocked commercial fisheries who do not know anything other than pole and pellet.
For me, it's a gem. I will be back and if it fishes well in a cold northerly I'm sure it will do just as well when things warm up a little. Maybe not in the height of summer as at only 3 feet deep it will get a little too warm. If I had targeted Bream from the outset there is no doubt in my mind I would have hit or come close to the magic 100lbs. Let me just add that all the fish we caught were fin perfect. Not a ripped lip nor missing scale.
Surprised you didn't get among the ide that are in there and there are some good fish in the small pond by the car park but people rarely fish it.
Another venue similar for peace and quiet is Murphys/Woodside at Thorganby.