Testing

lliopp

Site Supporter
Two of my kids had high temperature, so following guidelines they are off school till they're tested and the results are ready.
The NHS covid testing booking website would not seem to be working correctly (at all).
Luckily got told the local walk in testing center was seeing people who hadn't managed to get an online code.
While this was true, my word, I am still in disbelief at the organisation.
I am now certain that if testing is supposed to be our salvation, we are doomed.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My eldest, her hubby and son just got their results back - negative. The little lad has had a bad cough for a couple of days.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Found out today my niece came home from school with a cough, going to try to get fast tracked through my brother in laws work as a doctor while their household self isolates.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
The worrying thing is people will knee jerk now and deplete the already low stocks of testing kits for those that genuinely need testing.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem is though people are being told to get tested if they have any symptoms. The weather has been that mixed lately, kids going back to school, one minute cold and wet the next hot and sunny, people will get colds, coughs, aches, sneezes, etc, which would normally have been shrugged off due to the change in weather. Now it's 'get tested' and without the level of support required, not just in test kits but lab hours, the system is going to bottle-kneck at some point.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Agree with that Dave,it's those going for testing who have no symptoms who are the problem.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I was listening to Sir Paul Nurse head of the Crick Institute. They are conducting tests for all the local hospitals. However when asked if they required more lab staff, he said that was not the problem as once processed it was almost robotic.
The problem is in the prep of the samples apparently this eats up the man hours.

Simon R

Site Supporter
So the track and trace team knock on my door and tell me to self-isolate for 14 days because I've been within 2m of some gadgee I've never met in the last umpteen weeks.
Now I may or may not have the virus - however if I have no symptoms (as many people apparently don't) I'm unable to get tested.
However I may be positive and therefore surely everybody I've been in contact with prior to my self-isolation should also be told to quarantine - but I'll never know and all those I've unwittingly infected may get very ill - but again only those showing symptoms will be able to get tested.

If you don't test those told to self-isolate the whole system breaks down - which is exactly what's happened.

And the sole reason the rise in infection hasn't caused a huge uplift in hospital admittance is because they only people getting tested in March/April were those already in hospital - everybody else wandered about in blind ignorance unable to get tested until they were so ill that it didn't really matter if they had the virus or not, as they'd be physically unable to infect anybody else anyway.

The government have had six months to prepare for this and have failed spectacularly - Hancock is the epitome of the Tory minister, lots of platitudes, lots of promises to improve but a distinct lack of any sort of positive action.

Simon

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My sister (also a GP) has been inundated with calls of people asking to be tested. Basically not a GPs job. Think it's right that school pupils with symptoms get tested though, even with all the other viruses that go round, as it seems right that 2 confirmed cases and a school should be locked down.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
We get tested every Monday/Tuesday at work every week, results texted to us on a Thursday 👍

lliopp

Site Supporter
Where do you work Chefster , that level of testing is unusual. Due to divorce etc my bubble has 3 adults who in different ways are all key workers. This incident is the first time any of us has time off since this all started. Despite repeated attempts we were unable to book tests.
Most of the line I was in today was concerned parents getting there kids tested. I was one. Now I really doubt that my kids have it, it’s not unusual for one or another to have a temperature or a cold, especially straight after a holiday. I would have liked to think that the government and its experts could have also predicted this. I haven’t checked but I bet mumsnet did.
I was truly appalled at the organization of the walk in centre I went to. The site is in a quite busy central area on what is normally a car park. Lots of available space, but not used properly. The que, for example was on the pavement running parallel to the car park. So you had a line of people who are concerned enough about their symptoms to want to stand in line for 3 Hrs to get tested, that are therefore only allowed to be there according to the government guidelines because they are waiting to be tested so a fairly high risk bunch you would think. No signs saying please cross over and avoid these potential carriers, no barriers, just a bunch of supposed security staff on the far side of the site sat around chatting and smoking.
Not once in 5 or 6 interactions with the members of staff did I feel any confidence that they had any brain cells, the fact that they were breathing is still surprising to me.
Maybe I expect to much from people, but when someone starts counting a ever growing que in the middle, you just have to wonder.
I mean the guy says we have people who have booked who are our priority, I think yes fair enough. He then says we have 40 spare tests, you think fine at least you know that. But when you ask how many in front of you have not booked and he says, I am not sure you are the first I have asked...I then say to him why have you not started asking this from the front of the que he just got confused, and disappeared never to be seen again. The next bloke did manage to start at the front, but took three goes to manage to get the counting right, well to his satisfaction anyway.

I was amazed at how many staff there were for what turned out to be 3 mini testing cubicles, in which you administered your own test. The first thing I did was look up the share price of mitie, the firm in charge. It seemed I wasn’t the only person to do this, up 70 or 2.07% today.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Abi started back at school last week and over the weekend she developed a sore throat and blocked nose with no significant rise in temp or no other signs of COVID19 we kept her off school and phoned in, the school receptionist suggested we get her tested, however her GP (who fortunately lives very close) suggested that given her symptoms she should be ok and it is just a common cold but if it escalates then arrange for a test, her comments were that the testing labs are swamped at the minute because everyone and there dog are going for tests whether they show symptoms or not. Abi is now fine but we got a call from the school yesterday saying she will not be allowed back without a test.......no wonder the testing stations are over run

genesis

Living Leg End
Site Supporter
I am not surprised this thing is spreading again.

Wife went back to work after our holiday this morning and the girl who sits next to her found out last week that someone she had been in contact with had tested positive for covid. So she went for a test which came back as inconclusive and she was advised to have another test and to isolate until she got a result. Anyway she has gone to work and not bothered so the wife has kicked off at work. I have told her to walk out as her employer knows but refuses to do anything about it. I would think they have a duty of care to provided a safe working environment and as they know the girl has not had a clear test they should tell HER to go home. 36 people work in the office.

Next door neighbour went to Portugal for 10 days and got back on Sunday. They are in there late 60s so said they have no problem in isolating. I offered yesterday to get him some shopping if he needed anything but he said it was okay as they had just been to the supermarket. They also picked the dog up from the kennels and went to drop some presents off for his wifes family. I am looking at him now talking to someone over his gate, no more than two foot between them. There son who lives with them is working in Kent for three days but comes back home tonight for two days and then back down to Kent and then to Southampton, possibly spreading covid as he goes.

Last edited:

rudd

Site Supporter
I have cancelled 7 family members I can trust coming for a bbq tonight.

Instead playing an organised game of football with near on 35 almost stangers (players, subs, ref, linos)

genesis

Living Leg End
Site Supporter
I have cancelled 7 family members I can trust coming for a bbq tonight.

Instead playing an organised game of football with near on 35 almost stangers (players, subs, ref, linos)
You have done well to get a game at such short notice.

rudd

Site Supporter
You have done well to get a game at such short notice.
Playing against a team called Fulham in some energy drink cup.
During an interview about my covid test on radio Suffolk the conversation turned to the mighty town losing to Arsenal boys team - ' I can do better than that lot ' may be my famous last words 😬