Testing hooklengths

satinet

Tie them 'to' your hook box whatever length/size that is. Same every time.
You mean tighten down the knot actually on to the pegs? Not thought of that. Obviously I the pegs to set the length but it can move a bit.

I've got a ringers loop tyer which is easy enough. Just if you let the line slip even slightly it end up the wrong length. Usually short.

richox12

Sorry, no. Tie the hook (however you want to do it), put the hook on the pin in the hook box, stretch out the line and take it around the opposite pin and back a short way doubling it up (enough to hold and tie a loop easily), lift it all off, with the now doubled line tie the loop (I just use my fingers and a double overhand loop) and tighten & trim. Then when you put it back in the box you'll notice that it's 1mm or maybe 2mm short (because tying the loop knot eats up a bit of line) and so you need to stretch it over the pin. You won't need to stretch it much at all and it sounds severe but it's not. 150mm can actually stretch 30- 35mm (25% - 30%) before it breaks so 1mm - 2mm is nothing. This way all hooklengths will be the same length and, importantly, all under a very slight bit of tension and cannot ever slip of and cause a mess !!

If you also want the loops an exact size you can use a loop tyer but can also tie them around a suitably sized pin by hand. A 10mm long loop has 20mm of line in it and so a pin of about 6mm will cover it - even 5mm as when you tighten to the pin you never actually get the knot right tight to the pin. I use a large, new & smooth paperclip opened out (needle without a barb is good) and insert that into the actual loop knot BEFORE pulling down & tightening and you can then slide the knot, which is now pulled down against the wire, wherever you want and then just pull it out and finally tighten.

It's really, really simple.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
If I need to tie a hook on the bank I do it simply by hand, right down to size 26. No need for a hook tyer, it's so easy to do, puzzled why so many have problems.

If I'm tying on the desk at home though I use one of those orange WE devices, simply to get my bulk ties all the same length.

To test the tie, (on the bank or at home), I put the bend of the hook over the barrel of one of my disgorgers, put a finger on the hook bend to hold it against the disgorger, (very important), and pull the hook length to make sure it is all solid - reason for finger on the hook bend? You only need one hook to ping off on a bad tie, bury itself somewhere in the carpet, and get shouted at by SWMBO whilst looking for it to learn the importance of that little step!

I do occasionally use pre tied hooks to nylon and I always do the disgorger pull test on those too, they're not all tied as perfectly as you might think, it only takes seconds and is better than a lost fish with a hook in its lip. Have done this pull test since I was a lad.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Tried out my first attempts today, 2 different hooklengths during a 4 hour session.

Both hooks held firm, no issues, caught lots of fish, so they must have been fine👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

dave brittain 1

I simply tie the hook using a matchman hook tier with 8 turns. I then take the bend of the hook put it over one end of the pegs in my rig box, loop the other end over the other peg and grasping the loop I lift the hook length out and tie it off using a loop tier.

9.5 times out of 10 the length is perfect and it goes into the rig box.