Testing hooklengths

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Disclaimer: May be a bit of a dim question.....

Recently started experimenting with tying my own hooklengths. Got a match man hook tyer, some Guru NGuage and some Preston Reflo, and a few packs of spade end hooks to practice with.

Watched some tutorials on YouTube. First few attempts failed spectacularly, due to lack of tension in the line, kept slipping off the shank.

Managed to get a few to actually tighten, but how can I test that the knot is going to hold should I end up with a fish on the end of it?

Or should I just stick to buying pre-tied hooklengths? Cost wise there’s probably not a lot in it, but I sort of like the idea of catching fish on a rig and a hooklengths that I’ve made up myself.

plus I’ve already cleaned all my kit and I need something to do during the next few weeks/months whilst not allowed to go fishing😪😪😪

Thanks in advance 👍

Stewie

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I put the hook in the hooklength case then I pull on the loop.

To be fair, unless you're super efficient at using match man hook tyers or tying spade end in general, I find for the time invested it's just worth buying pre-tied if you can get them in the size and dia you want.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
To be fair, unless you're super efficient at using match man hook tyers or tying spade end in general, I find for the time invested it's just worth buying pre-tied if you can get them in the size and dia you want.
I agree 👍🏻

I never really got on with tying spade hooks consistently either so I just use pre-tied now. They work well, are covenient, are mostly easy to find and are cheap enough so I have no real reason to deviate from them now. If it ain't broke don't fix it and all that.

davylad

I'd just keep practising, it will become a doddle all of a sudden. Just make sure you moisten the line before tightening, and don't cut the tag end too short. Why not try using a snell knot and tie by hand, then you can tie hair rigs too, it's almost as quick when you get into it. That's if your hooks are 18 or bigger, not any smaller.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
I agree 👍🏻

I never really got on with tying spade hooks consistently either so I just use pre-tied now. They work well, are covenient, are mostly easy to find and are cheap enough so I have no real reason to deviate from them now. If it ain't broke don't fix it and all that.
Me neither. I can tie them, Just not consistently and it takes me ages to tie a pack of spade.... Unfortunately I can't get the hooks I want pre-tied so I'm stuck with tying them for the most part :(

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
What length are you tying your hooks? The longer the length, the more stretch in the line is what I'm thinking. There is a test you can do, not very scientific, but a test. Get one of those digital wieghing scales for luggage, one of those with a loop on one end. Put the loop over a door handle/fence post etc. and the loop of the hook length on the other end of the scales and steadily pull. Have someone with you to look at the numbers on the scale and pull till the line breaks. It'll give you a rough idea of line strength.

With the Matchman, once you've tied the hook, place the hook onto the big top metal bit, pull the line steadily and if the hook stays on, it's tied correctly. Remember though, to wet the line before tightening the knot on the hook otherwise it might pigtail.

PJG

When testing line I put a nail in a bench vice, tie five hooklengths, hook goes around nail, loop in scales, pull slowly tight until line breaks, write down amount, calculate amount over five to work out average. No it's not perfect but it gives you some idea of either knots or breaking strains.

I don't like spade ends because (as others have already said) the knots however carefully tied are prone to inconsistencies.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Used the simple Drennan hook tyer for years. Never had any problems in the past. Now that I'm trying to tie hook lengths for Commercials I'm having a few failures. Obviously trying to tie an 18 with the line needed such as 0.15 is not as easy as tying an 18 to 0.08, as was mostly the case pre commercials.
Using bigger hooks helps with the thicker line but sometimes an 18 or even a 20 is needed.

Zerkalo

Used the simple Drennan hook tyer for years. Never had any problems in the past. Now that I'm trying to tie hook lengths for Commercials I'm having a few failures. Obviously trying to tie an 18 with the line needed such as 0.15 is not as easy as tying an 18 to 0.08, as was mostly the case pre commercials.
Using bigger hooks helps with the thicker line but sometimes an 18 or even a 20 is needed.

I've noticed some hooks like some of the Guru hooks come with a supersized spade to help with this.

solwood

Site Supporter
I tie my own so I get the combination of hook to line I want. Often hooks to nylon are tied to heavier line than I use.

Practice makes perfect. I tie mine whilst carp fishing and sometimes just sit in the garden on my fishing chair with bivvy table beside me.

I could not get on with the drennan hook tyer mainly because I have used the matchman for 40 years!

crackatoa

Site Supporter
I've noticed some hooks like some of the Guru hooks come with a supersized spade to help with this.
I must admit if I want any of the Guru patterns I tend to use pre-tied, as I like n-gauge and the strengths available. I even go as far as to shorten the pre-tied 6" down to 4" or 3" if necessary.

Stokie

Site Supporter
Bought a gizmo pro.... will never look back. Makes tying super simple and will pay itself back in the long run. Also, it’s like meditation and hence helps with the blood pressure!

richox12

Take your hook and place it in the loop you have tied and make a circle. Using both hands hold the line either side of this join (maybe 3" apart) and SLOWLY and GRADUALLY pull bit by bit. You can then watch the hook knot and see if it moves and are also testing the loop knot at the same time. If it snaps - the line breaks - no matter as the stress you have put on is simply too much and that is to be expected. The important bit is watching the knots to make sure they are not loose and don't move. Then you know you've tied them well. No need for scales etc to tell you what BS the line snaps at as that is not your worry..

satinet

I use the drennan hook tyer. To be honest I find getting the hook lengths to all be same length harder than tying them on the hook tyer once you get used to it (the line tends to slip in your hand).

I find self tied ones much less inclined to fail than bought ones.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I use the drennan hook tyer. To be honest I find getting the hook lengths to all be same length harder than tying them on the hook tyer once you get used to it (the line tends to slip in your hand).

I find self tied ones much less inclined to fail than bought ones.
I have exactly the same problem. I can actually tie a decent hook by hand, without using a matchman hook tyer but I do struggle with my loops now for some reason. I have a Ringers loop tyer but can't get on with it. I've made rig boards, hook tying jigs etc. but I just can't get my rigs exact to fit on hook boxes.

solwood

Site Supporter
I struggled to tie even length until I bought a preston hook box that showed how to

Loop line around pin, tie loop, always nice tight fit

bettsfan

No help but I buy ready made Spade Ends :)

I tie my own Eyed ones though so I can have the lengths of Hair that I want/need. There is a big difference in presenting 2 x 8ml baits together than a single 4 or 6 ml. If the hook is larger I test for slippage using the handle of my forceps or if smaller I might even use a swivel. That is only to test for slippage and not to test if the line breaks!

rudd

Site Supporter
I struggled to tie even length until I bought a preston hook box that showed how to

Loop line around pin, tie loop, always nice tight fit
I use a drennan hook tyer - much easier than a matchman and can be taken to bank
un-like a gizmo ( on occasion need to tie a 'special on bank').

Use old style preston hook length boxes (onbox or inbox?).

Tie hook measure line needed using preston box then tie loop with by hand using a Seymo loop tyer

sensas one in video:
all hooklengths fit box evry time