Terrible day!

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I posted here a wee while ago about a smashing day that I had on a club lake which included two cracking Tench (Mmmm - Tench).
I was back there again yesterday morning at 06.45. One shouldn't be over-confident but I was looking forward to meeting another Tench or two - or anything else for that matter.
Nothing. Not a bite, not a touch, not a nibble all morning. I gave up at just gone one-thirty having tried everything including a change of swim. A walk along the bank revealed the same with others.
They (the fish) just didn't want to come out and play.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Had a couple of those days this summer. You start blaming yourself don't you? Wondering what you should have done differently. As you say....sometimes they just don't wanna play.

Dusty

I posted here a wee while ago about a smashing day that I had on a club lake which included two cracking Tench (Mmmm - Tench).
I was back there again yesterday morning at 06.45. One shouldn't be over-confident but I was looking forward to meeting another Tench or two - or anything else for that matter.
Nothing. Not a bite, not a touch, not a nibble all morning. I gave up at just gone one-thirty having tried everything including a change of swim. A walk along the bank revealed the same with others.
They (the fish) just didn't want to come out and play.

Might possibly be down to the cold nights we’ve been having?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Yes, over the last couple of weeks, I've found the fish to be off the feed and bites have been very finicky.
Gone from 40 to 50lb nets of roach down to 5or 6lb.
Time to start fining up the gear?

Had to go down to a 24 hook to 12oz line on the canal yesterday, had to use magnifying glasses to see the thing.
But at least I caught a few.

Silver fan 82

Glad it wasn't just me that had an off day yesterday. The weather may play a part in it. Its been very inconsistent of late.

tonerain

Site Supporter
When I last went fishing, about 2 weeks ago, I had a similar experience.
The guy on the next peg said (I swear this is true) it was too cold, too hot and too changeable.
All in the course of a 10 minute chat.

I've also noted that I fish too early or too late. Never at the right time.
As in "Last week we bagged up.........."

I'm just unlucky.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sundays match was near the same

evenings and nights had seen a big drop in temp, for the first hour, things were good, very good

fishing single maggot on a 5mtr whip saw me stash better part of 5lb of roach and small skimmers in the net

then it just switched off, tried everything, shotting and depth changes, different lines and baits, had a bite of a carp on a small kernel of sweetcorn down the edge about an hour before the all out that smashed the hooklength, and fishing tight to the lillies at 16mtr shallow caught me a couple of miniscule roach just as the whistle went

wasnt just me either, the weights were down all around

Total

Site Supporter
Sundays match was near the same

evenings and nights had seen a big drop in temp, for the first hour, things were good, very good

fishing single maggot on a 5mtr whip saw me stash better part of 5lb of roach and small skimmers in the net

then it just switched off, tried everything, shotting and depth changes, different lines and baits, had a bite of a carp on a small kernel of sweetcorn down the edge about an hour before the all out that smashed the hooklength, and fishing tight to the lillies at 16mtr shallow caught me a couple of miniscule roach just as the whistle went

wasnt just me either, the weights were down all around

Was the same at Tylers Mick, on Ash....Real struggle all day and scrapped a second for 47 pound....Winner had 64 pound

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Was the same at Tylers Mick, on Ash....Real struggle all day and scrapped a second for 47 pound....Winner had 64 pound

been a bright old harvest moon too, looking at it sat night when walkin himself, most impressive

Sportsman

Site Supporter
You're going at the wrong time. The best time to fish it is last week, that's when it fishes its head off. ;)