Terrible at this fish ID malarkey

MarkW

Ide were brought into England in big numbers accidently in the very early 70s. The Yorkshire River Board (Authority?) imported a lot of Belgian roach to replace those lost to columnaris in the late 60s and included in these fish transfers were a lot of ide that were put into various Yorkshire rivers and they've been there ever since. In 1974 MAFF stopped the imports.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Ide were brought into England in big numbers accidently in the very early 70s. The Yorkshire River Board (Authority?) imported a lot of Belgian roach to replace those lost to columnaris in the late 60s and included in these fish transfers were a lot of ide that were put into various Yorkshire rivers and they've been there ever since. In 1974 MAFF stopped the imports.
Are they considered a native species now, or just tolerated? In Holland the predator closed season applies to Ide aswell as Pike,Zander and Perch. I have had takes from Ide when retrieving feeders out there. I know they predate on fry. They are prolific breeders and sometimes the rivers out there seem poison with smaller samples.

MarkW

Ide/orfe have been in the UK for a good while and are tolerated ie seemingly not regarded as an invasive species and nowadays widely stocked in commercial fisheries though not in rivers but these 1970s stockings resulted in the breeding populations in a number of rivers.

JayD

Site Supporter
Hi Mark, I can remember the stocking of the imported roach, back in the early 70s, mainly into the Yorks Ouse, but don't recall any mention of any Ide being among them, or showing soon after. The Calder was the only Yorks river that I'd heard of them being regularly caught from, and that was in the 80s. This was obviously before the heavy stocking of stillwaters, and regular escapees, became the 'thing'.
I've tried researching info on it but have drawn a blank. Do you have a link to anything about it please.

John.

MarkW

Hi Mark, I can remember the stocking of the imported roach, back in the early 70s, mainly into the Yorks Ouse, but don't recall any mention of any Ide being among them, or showing soon after. The Calder was the only Yorks river that I'd heard of them being regularly caught from, and that was in the 80s. This was obviously before the heavy stocking of stillwaters, and regular escapees, became the 'thing'.
I've tried researching info on it but have drawn a blank. Do you have a link to anything about it please.

John.
I did a lot of research for my roach books, mainly from Angling Times/Anglers Mail from the early 70s. The ide weren't meant to be amongst the roach but in some instances they were.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Ide can get almost Bream shape as they get bigger and the majority will turn a Bronze colour. I’ve had them out in Holland to over 6lb and seen bigger. They can actually put up a bit of a scrap in running water. It’s still not a memorable fight though.
We had them to almost 5lb from the Zuider Dieps near Brielle twenty years ago - and the bigger ones were very deep - they were still silver rather than bronze - although the bream were not very dark either.

They fought rather like the bream - heavy and ponderous - only becoming more animated as they came into the shallow water closer to the bank.

These were 4-12 each according to the back of the photo

Watty 44-6 Ide 4-12a.jpg

Simon

JayD

Site Supporter
I did a lot of research for my roach books, mainly from Angling Times/Anglers Mail from the early 70s. The ide weren't meant to be amongst the roach but in some instances they were.
I too tried the angling press, and Yorkshire Ouse river board archives, but had no luck.
Thanks anyway
John.

smiffy

Site Supporter
We had them to almost 5lb from the Zuider Dieps near Brielle twenty years ago - and the bigger ones were very deep - they were still silver rather than bronze - although the bream were not very dark either.

They fought rather like the bream - heavy and ponderous - only becoming more animated as they came into the shallow water closer to the bank.

These were 4-12 each according to the back of the photo

Watty 44-6 Ide 4-12a.jpg

Simon
I always found they became more animated once in the keepnet. Needing the landing net placed over the mouth of the keepnets to stop them jumping out😂 They’ve got a habit of doing it when your concentrating hard on something else making me jump out of my skin.
You’re right though. Maybe bronze is the wrong description but they tend to be not as bright silver as younger fish. I miss Holland. Fantastic fishing if you catch it right👍

SeanB

Site Supporter
Hull & District Anglers Association - ****club record**** Colin Hebb with a new club record Ide 6lb10oz from River Hull | Facebook -