Terrible at this fish ID malarkey

Hey all

Caught this today from a fishery and at first I thought chub but then I second guessed myself and thought ide.

Not the best photo I'm afraid but any info would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20210509_124923.jpg
    20210509_124923.jpg
    806.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210509_124929.jpg
    20210509_124929.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 96

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Ide.

You can normally tell by the way they fight. Two nods of the head and then they give up.

Vince Smith

Glad you put this thread up as it’s taught me something. Not seen one of those before are they localised to small areas

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Glad you put this thread up as it’s taught me something. Not seen one of those before are they localised to small areas
They certainly aren’t terribly common. From a quick rough count I think I’ve fished about 15 stillwater fisheries across probably 30 lakes and ponds and only one has ide in and one has the ornamental version in Orfe.

John Step

Site Supporter
I had this one from the Swale. I have always called it a chub as that is what it looks like. It was 5lb ish from memory.
I have always wondered about the tail being longer than usual and wondered if it was a hybrid of some sort.
Any ideas?
DSCF0624.jpg

JayD

Site Supporter
I had this one from the Swale. I have always called it a chub as that is what it looks like. It was 5lb ish from memory.
I have always wondered about the tail being longer than usual and wondered if it was a hybrid of some sort.
Any ideas?
DSCF0624.jpg
That's a chub as far as I'm concerned.

As to the OPs Ide above, anyone who's fished the R Calder (Yorks), as probably had one, they are pretty common, but often mistaken for chub. Another thing, they must be a bit different in running water, because the ones I've had from the Calder went like stink, but they were caught on light float tackle.

John.

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I would have said that ide were more often mistaken for roach, particularly the smaller ones. I got particularly excited with a fish that I hooked at dusk a few years ago on the Calder. As I put the net under it I was convinced it was a monster roach. When I picked it out of the net I was gutted to see that it was a 2lb+ ide :cry:

This is another decent one from the Calder :

Ide 2lb+ 13.08.10.jpg

They've been in the river for many years now hence the dark colouring. I believe one of 5lb was weighed in during a match last season.

We still get the odd smaller silvery ones of a few oz's so maybe they are able to breed in the river ?

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Any ideas?
DSCF0624.jpg
Chub. Not sure about it being 5lb though unless that is a very big net.

MarkW

It is very easy to tell ide from chub. Count the scales on the lateral line (that's the scales with a tiny pit in them). Chub will give you a figure in the mid 40s, ide a figure in the upper 50s, maybe even 60. A chub x roach hybrid will have a count that is usually slightly LOWER than chub, around 44.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I would have said that ide were more often mistaken for roach, particularly the smaller ones. I got particularly excited with a fish that I hooked at dusk a few years ago on the Calder. As I put the net under it I was convinced it was a monster roach. When I picked it out of the net I was gutted to see that it was a 2lb+ ide :cry:

Ide 2lb+ 13.08.10.jpg

They've been in the river for many years now hence the dark colouring. I believe one of 5lb was weighed in during a match last season.

We still get the odd smaller silvery ones of a few oz's so maybe they are able to breed in the river ?
Ide are a river fish so it’s quite possible they have spawned.

John Step

Site Supporter
Chub. Not sure about it being 5lb though unless that is a very big net.
It was a very big net, I was barbel fishing but on second thoughts it doesnt look 5lb. It was from a senior memory from a few years ago. I did have some biggies and probably got mixed up because of the fact I took a photo...not due to the size but the extra long tail fin.:eek:

JayD

Site Supporter

Ide 2lb+ 13.08.10.jpg

I've not caught any as deep as that from the Calder, mind you I've only had them up to just over 1lb. We used to get them mostly from faster water below the Corn Mill. I met a couple of blokes convinced that they were roach/chub hybrids.

John.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I've not caught any as deep as that from the Calder, mind you I've only had them up to just over 1lb. We used to get them mostly from faster water below the Corn Mill. I met a couple of blokes convinced that they were roach/chub hybrids.

John.
Ide can get almost Bream shape as they get bigger and the majority will turn a Bronze colour. I’ve had them out in Holland to over 6lb and seen bigger. They can actually put up a bit of a scrap in running water. It’s still not a memorable fight though.
There was a photo Id question on here a few years ago and the chap was asking what it was. To me it was a big Ide but no one else agreed. All calling it some kind of hybrid.

tincatim

Site Supporter
I remember catching and weighing what I thought was a 2.5lb roach when I came back to fishing the first time. I couldn’t believe that I’d ever see a roach that big! Even more so when I caught a steady stream of them all over a pound. It was only after reading up online after, did I realise they were Ide 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ide (sorry) never heard of them until that point, I don’t think they were particularly prevalent in the 80’s and 90’s?