Tensioned pole elastic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob27

peg nine
Hi,
I recently got two top threes of my pole fitted by a tackle shop - the thing is the guy didn't seem to know what he was doing. I have read in books/mags that the elastic should slowly make its way back to the pole tip - mine zips back very fast and whacks the end of the pole, also the bull nose(i think thats what it is called) slips off.
Is this o.k. to fish with or should I attempt to elasticate it myself?

Also He told me that when fishing, the bottom end of the connecter doesn't slide over the knot in the elastic that is used to connect the top end of the connecter(the end where you attatch the line)

When I questioned that the sleeve that holds the line in place could slip down if a fish comes towards you if the bottom end of the connecter does't lock in place and cover it, he said this is the way you fish the pole and that the bottom end of the connecter just sits on the elastic.

Is he right?

Polepot

Poles
Rob,

This doesn't spund right tp me.

The bush (bull nose)at the end of your pole should not be loose.You can either cut a bit more off or use some masking tape to enlarge the tip. I would recommend that you cut the tip back, but it may not need to be by very much.

The Elastice should not fly back into the pole - the exact tension is what you learn with time. If it is too soft you get elastic drooping out of the end of the pole and that can lead to tangles.

I have been Pole fishing for aboout 12 months and am now totally at ease doing the elastication myself, but it does take time.

I have two suggestions :-

1) If you paid for the elasication ask for your money back as you will certainly have to buy some more elastic, alternatively ask the shop to do it again but properly this time.

2) Get Bob Nudds book Illustrated Guide to Pole Fishing as this give a very clear description on how to elasticate your pole.

Any other question do ask, I asked loads when I started.

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

scouse

'River Man'
hi rob
if you email me your address
i will send you
a mag how to elasticate your top threes
hope this helps

dave
scouse (and proud of it)

MALC

Rob,

Did you get the lacky done over the weekend period [?]
Sounds like you had a Saturday boy do the job.

As Nick has said the lacky should just slowly creep back into the pole and not fly back, ( it could crack your pole tip if it flys back to fast).
But being to tight will result in you bumping out of loads of fish.

Before trying to do it your self if you do the following you might find it will slacken the tension a bit.

Take hold of the stonfo (connector) and pull the lacky all the way out of the pole till it bottoms out, if you do this a few times it may stretch enough to just creep back in as the lacky will stretch a bit.

Regards the sleeve not going over the knot that will be because of 1 of 2 things.
Either he's tied the knot to big and not worked it down in size or he has put to small a Stonfo (connector) on.
Either way though the sleeve should cover the knot, but with some heavy grades of lacky it is almost impossible to get sleeve over the knot.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

jonesr

Rob, the others have said it all.On your other post I have mentioned the fact of what pole you are talking about? Top threes are what I am concerned about.Normal tops for Carp are top 2's.
Much stronger.If you are under powered you will get broken on even a half decent fish.
My pole will take a 18 elastic and I get concerned with anything over6/8lb.You can hear it complaining sometimes,Believe me a 6/8 pounder will make you think of new records!!!!!
Until you get used to them.

RonJ

david platt

Fusilier
Hi Rob 27,
Sorry to say this mate but, it sounds like hes cut to much
off your top three tips, and does not know how to do it
properly like you said,looks like he was gaining experience
at your expense.
You need to take them back to the shop and see the owner
and ask him what he can do to rectify the lads mistake but,
it depends on wether they offer it as a service & charged you
for it or, you asked them to do it for you if its the latter
then I dont know if you could get anything done
david

lanc

rob27

peg nine
hi everyone thanks,
Just out of curiosity why do you think he has cut too much from the top threes?

Also I forgot to mention that an elastic was jammed inside my pole when I first took it to him so he thrust a rod rest down the end of my third set of top threes and cracked the end section(mind you, he did say before he did it that if it did crack he couldn't be held responsible, but this was when I thought he knew what he was doing)

So where would I be able to get a end section(only the very end one needed) for a shimano symetre pole?

Also when I was there, questioning him about the connector he kept trying to show me how to do a crowsfoot attatchement(i don't know why), but then couldn't remember how to do it so he kept cutting off bits off the elastic making it even tighter than before. Also he couldn't get the bung he had put in out so he kept hitting the top threes against the floor to try and get the bung out.

Then he told me in a condescending voice ' you really haven't got the hang of this pole fishing have you' when I questioned him about the bottom end of the connector covering the knot!!![:eek:)]

Right thats my moan out of the way with[:(!]

Oggy

Sounds like the guys a numpty.
Try and get it fixed/ask for your money back (plus money for the damaged section which any half decent angler could have sorted without much trouble) and go to a better shop if not still satisfied.

The unfortunate thing is that this duffer has given you a bad experience which no one needs whilst trying to learn.

The guy's on this forum will always sort you out with advise but as mentioned before, Bob Nudd's book is a cracker for beginners. Even my 63 year old Dad could understand it.

Oggy

Status
Not open for further replies.