Tench

danielmck07

I have been trying to get a tench for a good few weeks now and I have just not been successful. I have tried maggot feeder,cage feeder. Method feeder and float and a number of different baits. I just end up getting bream. Anyone have any tips ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Try feeding hemp especially in any weedy areas. Just my opinion, others will have advice.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
By weedy spots, that might mean the margins if not a weedy venue!

MartinWY

Site Supporter
An age old problem and similar to my difficulty in catching tench over carp.

Personally I intend to stick to my original idea, which is to fish tight against lilly pads or weed. I haven't a clue if that would discourage bream, but it might give me an indication they are there since the pads/weed will move about if a shoal comes in.

danielmck07

An age old problem and similar to my difficulty in catching tench over carp.

Personally I intend to stick to my original idea, which is to fish tight against lilly pads or weed. I haven't a clue if that would discourage bream, but it might give me an indication they are there since the pads/weed will move about if a shoal comes in.
Most of the venues I fish have no weedy or Lilly pad areas :(

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Big cubes of meat 10mm+ seems to pick out a few tench where i fish. always seem to catch them in the margins, never open water.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Would I need to prepare the hemp or could I just use straight awau

You can buy it cooked.

Or uncoooked

If you buy it uncooked soak it for 12-14 hours in 1 part hemp, 2 parts water, then bring it to the boil in an old saucepan for 30 minutes.

It's great fun cooking hemp but can stink out the house a bit. :D

Meat as above is worth a try too. More than one way to skin a cat. Especially in the margins.

danielmck07

You can buy it cooked.

Or uncoooked

If you buy it uncooked soak it for 12-14 hours in 1 part hemp, 2 parts water, then bring it to the boil in an old saucepan for 30 minutes.

It's great fun cooking hemp but can stink out the house a bit. :D

Meat as above is worth a try too. More than one way to skin a cat. Especially in the margins.
I’ll probably just buy it prepared, don’t think my mum would be too pleased with the smell ?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I’ll probably just buy it prepared, don’t think my mum would be too pleased with the smell ?

I am the same, old saucepans a must, and waking my mom up early hours with the smell, but it's not too bad, but a deadly bait.

pies

Site Supporter
Find a venue which has a good head of tench
Fish early or late just around sunrise or sunset
Use corn, or pellets if used on venue
enjoy the day
Took me three years to get my first tench. Its was only about 1lb but i was so happy ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If there’s a decent head of them you’ll pick them up just float fishing a maggot. They’re not that hard to catch when they are there just has to be enough of them in the first place.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Canals are a very good place to catch Tench, and lots of them. Not massive stamp maybe 3-4lbs but most canal towpaths have reeds and lily pads next to them and it's really easy to fish light and fish a rod length out just under the tip and have some Tench fun.

solwood

Site Supporter
Hemp...

Decent stainless steel flask

Pre heat

Fill 50 % hemo
Top up boiling water
Put lid on
Overnight/24 hours later cooked hemp, no smell, just make sure it's not your coffee flask!