Tench

62tucker

Site Supporter
Has anyone ever caught a tench on the surface ?
Just asking as I put 4 tench in my garden pond 2 years ago and they have started to rise up up the koi and carp for floating pellets.

Dusty

Just asking as I put 4 tench in my garden pond 2 years ago and they have started to rise up up the koi and carp for floating pellets.

Nope and I’ve never seen it done either... I’ve seen barbel and bream caught off the top though.

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Yes, on a floating dog biscuit. It was when the weather was red hot. Cast out, it went straight to it and took the bait!

DFL

Site Supporter
Yep, same as above, just the once, right under my feet as well, quite a surprise.

davepellet

not personally but didn't matt hayes once have a good golden tench at Angler's Paradise on dry fly?
or did I imagine that

if tench are on the surface due to low oxygen levels, you have a real problem with your pond, tench & crucians can survive low oxygen levels better than any other fish, so if the tench are struggling I'd get a new pump

acart8426

Caught a few on dog biscuits off the top . My tench feed on the top with the Koi , most of the year probably due to the fact that the majority of koi food is floating and there's nothing else they can feed on until the winter/ spring time when I start to feed pearl barley .

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
not personally but didn't matt hayes once have a good golden tench at Angler's Paradise on dry fly?
or did I imagine that

if tench are on the surface due to low oxygen levels, you have a real problem with your pond, tench & crucians can survive low oxygen levels better than any other fish, so if the tench are struggling I'd get a new pump

He did indeed catch a Golden Tench off the surface, I have the video.

davylad

Site Supporter
I fished a venue today and had about 10 yellow tench, they might be golden tench, I'm not sure but they were definitely yellow.

WickerDave

Site Supporter
I've had a few, from more than one water. The most surprising was in open water in a deep gravel pit from one seen cruising below the surface. None recently though.

62tucker

Site Supporter
or did I imagine that

There not on the surface.
They come up for food when I feed the fish.
Never see them otherwise unless I get close to water and feed sinking food. Water pump to filter and 2 air stones going 24/7 all year

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Years back I threw a piece of crust in the margin and a tench slurped it off the surface, caught a couple on live minnow too.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Only small ones - upto 10oz - on the Jigga too.

Edit * up in the water never on the surface. My mistake.

JR Hartley

Had a committee meeting yesterday our club had run a stand at local outdoor event over the weekend for the local kids. Loads caught inc Three carp on the method............ and a 2/12 lb Bream off the top on bread !

Aston_fisher

Site Supporter
I never have but a friend claims to have had one on bread off the top. I say claims because he was somewhat prone to exaggeration :ROFLMAO:

mimississ

Site Supporter
Years ago I fished messingham sands.... floating crust fish took the bait ... after a short but spirited fight it was in the net....A BARBEL !!!!only about a pound....a few more sessions later I had one ore two more but these were caught on the bottom....you don't seem to catch them now ...I think the carp have totally taken over ?