Tench on the pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil-k

On a venue with a good head of tench from say 3-6lb how would you go about fishing for them on the pole.Specifically:
1/ what elastic
2/ hook pattern
3/ line strength
4/ hookbait(s)
5/ what would you put in the swim to attract them in.
6/ would you pot bait in a small area or spread in out with a catapult.
7/ would you fish to the side to the trees or in open water in front of you if you had a good depth close in.

Any other pole related advice appreciated
Cheers
Phil.k

JOHN_M

1,No10
2,Kamasan specimen eyed
3,4lb
4,Worm or caster
5,Hemp & caster
6,Pot
7,Margin or open water.

Benji

Account Locked
1,Maver dual core 12-20
2,Kamasan Animal Spade, size 16
3,4lb
4,sweetcorn
5,Hemp & liquidised corn
6,Pot
7,Margin or open water.

Last edited:

newies_maggots

1,No14
2,Kamasan Animal Spade
3,4lb - 6lb
4,sweetcorn, meat, maggot, worm, coster
5,Hemp & liquidised corn, meat
6,Pot
7,Margin or open water.

davepellet

1/ Drennan 10-12 hollow

2/ Gamakatsu Pellet size 16

3/ 0.12

4/ pellet if it's used extensively on the venue, otherwise chopped worm & caster

5/ as above, for pellets I'd tend to use 3mm Swim Stim Natural pellets but I'd include a few hookpellets, although the green Betain ones are known to work well on a lot of local venues
for chop & caster, I'd tend to include a sprinkle of VDE Bloedmeal with the mix & occassionally try a big chunk of lobworm

6/ definately pot, but not on a sixpence, spread it a little, initial feed of 1/2 cup then keep trickling small amounts in via a toss pot

7/ both, for the tree area (under it if you can get), I'd step up to a no14 latex & 0.14 mainline, possibly a size 16 B911 and forget the toss poss, for open water I'd plumb up until I found the bottom of the shelf & concentrate there - tench and other decent fish are well known to patrol this area

crowder

only advice ui can give is use sweetcorn, its the killer tench bait, or use shellfish baots, such as mussels

sheepy

Thank god dave posted animal hooks 6lb line !!!

Although i would edge towards an 18 turbetini 808 and fish 4mm expanders

or corn on a b9ll 16 ;o)

Last edited:

strat2

grey hydro
b911
0.12-0.14
worm caster
attracts becasue it smells :p
pot
open water to a shelf
margin areas hold the crucians and carp

strat2

oh choppedn worm and crushed caster for number 5 i mis read it

slf

NUFC
8 or 10 latex
b911 or pr28
chopped worm and caster
and corn and hemp or maggots (if no nusiance silvers)
both margins and open water

strat2

0.10 2.6lb :S umm no i wouldnt ever go that light for tench... if you fish for tench you will hook a carp because you ae using carp baits but smaller and more refind.

0.10 in the winter 0.14 at least in the summer. also depends what tench you are after i spose 0.10 is ok for fish 1lb smaller

micklen

We are talking Tench aren't we [?]

If I fished in my lake with half the tackle described here I would be broken more often than not

1st time I went specifically for Tench on this lake I was on 1.2 with a 12 solid with a walnut of paste on a #10 Drennan carp

Float went down and off went the elastic
It just didn't stop [:I]
Kept going in a straight line until the hooklength knot gave
I VERY much doubt it was a carp as it didn't feel like a carp and I can normally stop a carp in that particular lake with 12 solid anyway
I do realise that there are Tench in the lake up to 10lb as I have caught several males pushing 5lb since so it MAY have been a big one
I now always use 1.8 with 18 latex fairly tight and a #8 or 10 Drennan carp with a lump of paste on it
Sorry if it sounds animalistic but pound for pound I believe Tench are much tougher than carp

I feed soft pellet - 4 and 6mm

NORMALLY fish just off the first drop off

Mick

Last edited:

adzinderbyshire

i regularly catch tench to 3.5lb on 0.10 shimano antares in fairly open water, in snaggy areas or for regular 5lb+ tench 0.14 will probably be your best bet especially if you are pleasure fishing in a relatively unpressured water as the fish will be less picky compared to match conditions.

davepellet

I've also had lots of tench to 4lb on 0.10 direct to a size 18 Gama pellet, with a 6-10 hollow or a no8 slip
problem is you're likely to hook carp, and although I have landed double figure carp on this rig it takes far too long to manage, and it seriously eats into your tench-time, plus if you don't get the carp in quite fast they're going to spook everything else in the peg
another problem is with 0.10 line, after 3 or 4 fish there's a good chance your line will get damaged while you're trying to unhook the fish

phil-k

Thanks for all the replies, I've put a few rigs together based on your advice and we will see how I get on.[:)] beer-toast1.gif

phil-k

Thanks for all help on this one.Your advice really does help [8D][;)]
I settled on the following set up:
1/hollow rated 8-12 set slack
2/kam animal 18's
3/0.16/0.14
4/sweetcorn
5/hemp & caster
6/potted
7/open water as the tree pegs where under pylons so no poles allowed

The Tench came around 10.00 a.m. and shot off on a good run stretching out the elastic to the max.
It quickley came close after the initial power surge but when it saw the net went balistic.The hollow elastic soon tired the fish though and it was in the net.Mission accomplished.After that had a few bream.
100_0952.jpg

ChrisPownell

nice 1!!

where i used to fish years ago, i fished for bream and tench using a 6 meter pole to some lillys with paste on the hook, i loved it!!!

stevelockett

My local fishery is mainly tench on the pole in matches, but they average 7lbs apiece. We have to fish carp-style rigs and elastics to stand any chance of landing them. Also have to feed with a catapult, as they respond to the noise of hemp and casters hitting the water. Those who cup it in don't catch nearly so many.
BTW, biggest I saw in a match was 10lbs exactly. You don't get them out on 'nice' tackle!

Status
Not open for further replies.