Tench in weed

Simon R

Site Supporter
Personally I wouldn't fish the pole - or at least not with elastic.
Depending on how thick the weed is and how close to the edge of it you need to fish to catch the tench will fly back into it when hooked and if you're using elastic they'll likely be buried in it before you even realise what happened.

Years ago a local club lake (Poole Hospital Pond) was rammed with stunted tench - a 2lb fish was a big one.

That was solid weed - swims would be raked during the close season at a couple of work parties but Canadian Pondweed grows at a prodigious rate. We would mainly fish the pole but just using a flick-tip so the fish couldn't reach 'sanctuary' back in the weed. I wouldn't advise doing this for larger fish but little tench shouldn't bust you - 0.14mm straight through will stop anything up to a couple of pounds.
Rod and line with a waggler worked equally as well but the pole was just more fun;)

Simon

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Rake the swim when you get there and dump the weed in the margins, not on the bank. The weed often contains tiny tench hiding in it and thousands of aquatic creatures that tench feed on.

Worm and maggot would be my preferred choice to try first. There used to be a Tench Pit that I fished as a kid, could catch up to 50 a day up to half a pound. It was great sport in those days and I was devastated when persons unknown put a load of carp in. The weed and tench had gone a few years later.
The first part of your post made me feel very proud to be a fellow angler. Well done you for thinking like that. Many wouldnt. Sorry to hear you've now lost your tench though. ?

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Personally I wouldn't fish the pole - or at least not with elastic.
Depending on how thick the weed is and how close to the edge of it you need to fish to catch the tench will fly back into it when hooked and if you're using elastic they'll likely be buried in it before you even realise what happened.

Years ago a local club lake (Poole Hospital Pond) was rammed with stunted tench - a 2lb fish was a big one.

That was solid weed - swims would be raked during the close season at a couple of work parties but Canadian Pondweed grows at a prodigious rate. We would mainly fish the pole but just using a flick-tip so the fish couldn't reach 'sanctuary' back in the weed. I wouldn't advise doing this for larger fish but little tench shouldn't bust you - 0.14mm straight through will stop anything up to a couple of pounds.
Rod and line with a waggler worked equally as well but the pole was just more fun;)

Simon
Yes I ditched the pole plan once I decided you were all right and I needed to rake a patch. Small feeder on the bottom is the current plan. Thanks for the advice.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I sometimes have a yearning to go back and see if any tench survived
If its a day ticket water then a few of us could nip over and see if we can find a tench or three. I can throw Wise Owl in the back of my van if you fancy a sing song ? Preston aint that far. We just need to see the back of this Carona virus first. ?

..... Earplugs will be supplied for everyone not just the elderly or people with underlying earing problems. ?