Tench in weed

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I recently joined a local club and have been doing a bit of reconisance on the club waters. Today I went to a little village just down the road where there is a little duck pond with club rights. I’d heard it had lots of small tench in so I went down this morning and the whole pond is fizzing so I got quite excited. There are two things about it which are a bit different to my everyday fishing. One is that I’ve never been out to specifically target tench. I know they are fond of sweetcorn but i’ve also caught a lot on coloured banded pellets so that might be an option. The other thing about this pond is that it is very weedy so I am planning to pole fish just above or on top of the weed. That seems an easier plan than setting up a helicopter rig or a chod rig.

Maybe you tench fanatics out there can give me some tips.

Dusty

I recently joined a local club and have been doing a bit of reconisance on the club waters. Today I went to a little village just down the road where there is a little duck pond with club rights. I’d heard it had lots of small tench in so I went down this morning and the whole pond is fizzing so I got quite excited. There are two things about it which are a bit different to my everyday fishing. One is that I’ve never been out to specifically target tench. I know they are fond of sweetcorn but i’ve also caught a lot on coloured banded pellets so that might be an option. The other thing about this pond is that it is very weedy so I am planning to pole fish just above or on top of the weed. That seems an easier plan than setting up a helicopter rig or a chod rig.

Maybe you tench fanatics out there can give me some tips.

Hi mate

Tench will eat anything but they love natural baits such as worm and red maggots.

Rather than fishing above the weed I would be tempted to rake the swim before fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’ve caught more tench on single or double red maggot than anything else. Have also had them on caster, meat and even cheese paste but I’d certainly go maggot first.

spark1

Sounds nice mate, wished it was near me and if I had any caster that's all I would feed and fish on the hook. Casters lay nice on the bottom weed and the Tench just love hoovering them up. But just use whatever bait you have to hand and I''m sure your catch them (y)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
As Dusty has said, raking the weed is a good idea as they are bottom feeders after all. Had some decent ones on sweetcorn, luncheon meat, maggot & caster.
This morning I had a lovely 4 pounder on 4mm expander :)

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Rake the swim when you get there and dump the weed in the margins, not on the bank. The weed often contains tiny tench hiding in it and thousands of aquatic creatures that tench feed on.

Worm and maggot would be my preferred choice to try first. There used to be a Tench Pit that I fished as a kid, could catch up to 50 a day up to half a pound. It was great sport in those days and I was devastated when persons unknown put a load of carp in. The weed and tench had gone a few years later.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I used to fish a farm pond when I was a lad (I’m still male) which was rammed with little tench. Caught 129 one evening after school (2 of us) nothing big all like little rudd/ skimmers. Palm of your hand size. The maggot would never settle and float was under with 10sec. We used to say “ where there’s little one there must be mums n dads” but never had any. They must have been there somewhere.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I've always had good results on breadpaste with a bit of icing sugar in it. As mentioned they will eat anything.

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I used to fish a farm pond when I was a lad (I’m still male) which was rammed with little tench. Caught 129 one evening after school (2 of us) nothing big all like little rudd/ skimmers. Palm of your hand size. The maggot would never settle and float was under with 10sec. We used to say “ where there’s little one there must be mums n dads” but never had any. They must have been there somewhere.
Where was that?

Dusty

Sounds similar to the lake I fish. I’ve had loads under 2lb. Sure there must be bigger!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Willow Pool at Furnace Mill where I fished today is like that with small Tench, had a few today, always wondered how long it takes for them to grow.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Wherever I've caught sub pound tench I've never caught a bigger one and wherever I've caught proper tench say 3 pound plus I've never caught a small one which is a bit odd.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
8 years is a long time for 2 pounds lol seems I've quite a bit of a wait. I remember seeing Carp grow much quicker for example when Earlswood were restocked they grew from 1lb to 5lb in no time in a big lake. Looking forward to my Tench sessions this year, it will be weedy too and have seen people raking their swim on videos. Don't know if I'm going to have to do that but going to hope the helicopter rig works.

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
I would assume they were the same size when they were stocked so would grow at the same rate. Only ever caught 3lb plus fish on natural waters.

jimmcd

Feeding a swim regularly encourages the fish to graze & keep the weed down. My favourite swim gets a heavy raking at the start of the season with continual top-ups of bait. A light raking before fishing & a couple of balls of groundbait, followed with a lot of loose fed maggots soon has the swim fizzing. Getting a hooked fish out is a different matter as they head directly for the surrounding weed, real hit & hold tenching