Tench From A Fen Drain

Truly

Site Supporter
Yesterday afternoon and evening I spent fishing on Bevilles Leam in Farcet Fen. A fishing pal had told me that one area was stuffed with skimmers and other silvers, so I thought I would give it a go.
The swim is about 10' deep about 12' from the bank so I took my old Daiwa Jaguar 13' match rod and ABU 506 (1980s and 1970s respectively).
3lb mainline, 2lb hooklength, as the water is very clear at present. Size16 Silverfish hook and Dave Harrel 2SSG truncheon waggler ( I can actually see those floats, particularly when the sun shines)
Loose feeding dead maggots over a bed of groundbait stuffed with dead maggots, double red maggot on the hook, I caught steadily. Skimmers, perch, roach and rudd, the majority being skimmers to about 6ozs but lots of very small stuff.
About 6.30pm, I got a lovely sail-away bite and struck into a solid fish. Owing to the 2lb hooklength and the fact that it got into the lillies twice, it took me at least 20 minutes to get the net under it.
Tench, marginally under 4lbs in beautiful condition. A wild fish from our fen....just magic (y) (y).

Tebbits Bridge Tench 20.08.2021 Resize.jpg