tench fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirror

i've been going to ireland for quite a few years now,in the last couple of years i have found a really good tench water not alot of poeple know about.the problem i'm having when fishing it is there is alot of lillies in the swim,i keep loosining alot of tench due to all the lillies.the meothod i'm useing is the pole, i use it because if i use the rod.when the float hits the water it attracts all the silver fish which i dont want catch.please help me also could you surggest any new baits i could use.i've tried corn maggots worms.
thanks peter.

pete mills

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Pete,
Try raking a clear patch in the swim and removing some of the Lilies.
If your'e hooking them, the baits are right, but you could add meat and feed hemp after raking.
Rake and pre-bait is ideal, if you have the opportunity.
They're curious and they'll come back!
Where in Ireland is this water?
I'm fishing Cavan, (Belturbet and Killashandra) 22nd to 29th June!
Flooded last week, but hoping it will improve.
Anywhere near there?

You'll find lots of shared info on this site ref Ireland and some members are Irish.
Welcome and enjoy.

Trev

Ziptrev pug.gif Shouldn't happen to a DOG!

martin.

Account Locked
hi mirror
firstly welcome to the mad MDs
without knowing to much about the lake my advice is same as trevs.
if you give us a bit more info we may be able to help a lot more .
examples layout of water,howfar lilies go out, pole, elastic, rig ect.

tight lines.
martin.

haydn.borthwick

09/05/02 - 28/01/07
In Memoriam
ziprev try Putiagam just out of Beltubet on road to Cavan. All locals rave about size of Tench in it. We couldn`t try it as we had disabled angler with us and it is down ( or up on way back) a steep field.
haydn ... good luck, hope rivers & lakes have gone down for you. It spoilt our week 25th May onwards.
haydn . jump.gif

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Haydyn, Heres a link to the last time I visited Putiaghan in April.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=&whichpage=5&TOPIC_ID=416
with a couple of pics.
Actually, its on erneside , past sean Fitzpatricks complex,not the Cavan Road, but we didnt do very well , think it was too early for the tench.
Dave scouse is returning today and I bet he will have fished it if at all fishable.
Sorry to hear about your weather, but as always thats Ireland.
I cant help much with your price/accomodation query, because my circumstances and needs are different!
I go over on 15th June, but 1st week is wifes holiday(no fishing lol) and we pay app 15 per night each bed and break.

The ferry should be 328 (we got 100 discount over a transfer in April), but thats because its a 15 day trip and a 7 should be cheaper ( I think the split is 10 days, but dont know why)
In April I hired a self catering house for just 200 from Geraldine at Eonish lodge. Spotless, dont even remember if there was a video? cant even work ours at home!
I go to Ireland to fish and/or enjoy the nightlife up the pub.
We could have had 10 stay in that house (in fact 7 did one night, less than 30 per person per week
This time the 2nd week, Greg my son and I are sharing a room with en-suite facilities and tes/coffee maker.
we are having a bed and break week (instead of breakfast we are taking flask and sarnies to get fishing early ), coming back to sleep PM.Fishing evening and dark til midnightish! Back at Dawn after 2nd kip, pub 12 til 2 lol
(and get a cheap pub meal)
Make a few extra sarnies in room and buy a cheap burger type meal out.
Price 105 pw each.
Petrol? I assume Comet must give you yours, because I do just the opposite!
Arrive in Ireland as empty as possible and fill up to the brim at less than 50p per litre instead of near damn 80p!
And you must have a pretty small tank if that full one doesnt last you a week!
Firstly its only 75 miles from Dublin and secondly, there is SO much local fishing, that a 25 mile round trip per day is a waste of fishing time.
Certainly I wouldnt look to create a problem by moving away from the fishing to be nearer the border! Its close enough anyway and surely 1 fill up will be the absolute maximum?
I always have enough to get back into Dublin and refill to the brim before I sail home!
Why not try loading the tank full at the port before you sail?
As I say, Ive never been able to work a package, but Ive met people who swear by Anglers world and others who always use Jack Purchase
there are a lot of super deals come up half way through september as well, Im hopimg for a 3rd trip then.
Did October last year, but weather the same for me then and foot and mouth had closed Dromna Lake in Waterford! (another Tench legend!)That deal was car ferry, 5 people, 5 nights in a super brand new complex Tramore Co Waterford, Telly, Dishwasher, Auto washing m'c ,3 rooms 1 en suite bathroom , living,kitch 2nd toilet etc. 231 the lot!
Wentover with wife, son from Derry brought his , fished tues and thurs, played tourist mon/wed /fri!

Did you get to fish anywhere at all good?
Watch for Scouse, Tomas and my posts over next month and vectra dog and scales have all reported rough weather.2 or 3 more going soon too and norm takes us in to 1st week July.
Lough Rann in Killykeen Park, other side of Oughter to Eonish seems best at moment.
Hoping the Erne will lower by 22nd.

Cheers mate

Trev

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
oops take that back!

Lough Rann dead!

Trev

Status
Not open for further replies.