Tench anglers - What are your tactics this year?

Deejay8

Site Supporter
I don't know if there are any venues down here in Cornwall, where it's possible to fish just for tench. I know a few small tench usually feature among the silvers nets at Amalwhidden Farm. If anyone knows of any proper tench venues down this neck of the woods, please let me know. I love proper traditional tench fishing.

Silver fan 82

I don't know if there are any venues down here in Cornwall, where it's possible to fish just for tench. I know a few small tench usually feature among the silvers nets at Amalwhidden Farm. If anyone knows of any proper tench venues down this neck of the woods, please let me know. I love proper traditional tench fishing.
Anglers Paradise has some cracking Tench fishing? Not sure about the day ticket lakes mind you?

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Fished burcliffe last week blanked new pond have struggled on there for bites did see new photos of fish been stocked will have to try it again

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
My plan is to wait till it warms up, find a nice tench stillwater, and fish pva mesh on a lead stuffed with pellet, hemp and dead reds.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’ve tried most of the oldskool methods and regularly get outfished by a standard pellet feeder set up. So,as soon as the water warms up, that’s what I shall be doing. Seen some good fish caught and good bags on a few of my local pits.

Silver fan 82

I can't find any local waters that aren't swarming with carp
Hi mate, I see you're in Hastings too. Are you a member of any of the local clubs at all? Some good ones in some of thier waters. Also the RM canal has some big uns apparently.

R0B

I've been theoretically targeting tench since December except lockdown put the kibosh on traveling to the venue so the plan fell on it's bum right away. Now its close season I cannot fish there anyway.
So... currently having a mare at a local day ticket gravel pit, featureless and nails hard in the daytime.

Tactics have been pole, with minimal feed cupped in; hemp, casters, chopped worm, red maggots. With maggots/caster/worm on the hook. So far lots of annoying small fish bites and a few skimmers.
The change line is feeder with either helicopter rig or running pellet/maggot feeder, this gets hammered by small fish when I use worm/maggot on the hook and staunchly left alone if I use anything else.
On reflection this has probably been the wrong approach at this pit.

The next time I visit (if I don't find somewhere better soon) it'll be two rods on alarms with heli rig and natural baits on one rod, and a pellet/method feeder with pellet on the other, all hair rigged and maybe some PVA bag stuff going on loaded with particles and offerings.

Strictly speaking, its not going to be tench season until 16th June - but I have to crack a stillwater before then!

lliopp

Site Supporter
Pellet over micros
img_20210413_141602-jpg.173024

Attachments

• IMG_20210413_141602.jpg
    IMG_20210413_141602.jpg
    558.7 KB · Views: 77

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That's a lovely looking fish. Tench I've said before are one of the most pleasant looking fish but sometimes when you look closely at their mouths they actually have rubber lips?

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I’ve tried most of the oldskool methods and regularly get outfished by a standard pellet feeder set up. So,as soon as the water warms up, that’s what I shall be doing. Seen some good fish caught and good bags on a few of my local pits.
I would rather catch fewer tench on a float than lots on leger. I watched a video on catching big roach from lakes a while back, it involved
a helicopter rig and bite alarm. No thank you I would rather catch run of the mill on float.

Not in any way a dig but for me fishing a method that I enjoy trumps the actual catch.

Total

Site Supporter
I would rather catch fewer tench on a float than lots on leger. I watched a video on catching big roach from lakes a while back, it involved
a helicopter rig and bite alarm. No thank you I would rather catch run of the mill on float.

Not in any way a dig but for me fishing a method that I enjoy trumps the actual catch.
^^ Such a snob!;):p:ROFLMAO:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
^^ Such a snob!;):p:ROFLMAO:
Circumstances have conspired to keep me off of the bank for a couple of months now, hoping to go Monday but me and the missis
will almost certainly get a request for baby sitting duties, oh well never mind.

Snob? Yeeeup...

Total

Site Supporter
Circumstances have conspired to keep me off of the bank for a couple of months now, hoping to go Monday but me and the missis
will almost certainly get a request for baby sitting duties, oh well never mind.

Snob? Yeeeup...
I know it ain't been been easy for you with your eye thing etc etc.....I do hope you get the chance to go out on Monday.....If you do, enjoy.....;)(y)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Been quite a few tench coming out of most of our ponds in the last few weeks...nothing massive, 1lb to 2lb. Going to have a go for them tomorrow with corn, expanders & robin reds. Hopefully snare some crucians & a bonus carp while I'm at it.