Tench and Hemp

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
You get mixed opinions on this and wether they actually eat it or not. Few dispute it attracts them but some people say they won't eat it and just suck it up and blow it back out again. Personally I'm not sure. I will always feed a small amount of hemp but not a ton of it. I do this by putting a pinch in a feeder for the scent but it can mean a pint of it will last me a session. What do you reckon?

smiffy

Site Supporter
The number of times I’ve been fishing the seed for Roach and then gone full depth and caught a Tench is plenty. They love it. Don’t listen to anybody else😉
Second best loosefeed after caster in my book. On non pellet dominated waters that is👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've always thought it was a good food bait for Tench too but have been listening to Dr Paul Garner.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I've always thought it was a good food bait for Tench too but have been listening to Dr Paul Garner.
I haven’t been reading him although I do take notice of most of what he says.
I did write“ on non pellet dominated waters”😉
I don’t think there’s a river or drain or canal or broad in east Anglia that doesn’t have a good head of Tench. That’s where most of my Tench fishing takes place now.
On a Carp fished gravel pit I’d only take pellets. Although, I do think fish are wising up to them and even getting spooked by them on some venues.
Hemp is still a great particle feed even on Carp venues👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Maggots are the only bait I seem to need on the places I fish, though I do plan to start fishing a canal soon. I've read to 'match the hatch' and that maggots are a good way of doing that, but I think there's so much bloodworm at the park that nothing works at times. That's my excuse anyway.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Maggots are the only bait I seem to need on the places I fish, though I do plan to start fishing a canal soon. I've read to 'match the hatch' and that maggots are a good way of doing that, but I think there's so much bloodworm at the park that nothing works at times. That's my excuse anyway.
There’s a few local pits where a maggot feeder was by far the best approach. This was mainly because there were gravel bars at feeder distance and the maggot feeder beat the open end feeder hands down.
By the same token though. Feed maggots short and you would just get bitted out. Caster and hemp were the better feed👍 Or chopped worm👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yeah I'm going to be on the chopped worm on the canal I think. If I get round to it, it's a cheap annual ticket but will mean reelasticating two poles so my dad can come with me, and doing all the rigs, might not get round to it this year. I'm lucky on the estate lake I fish which is my main Tench venue that there's only very sparse shoals of Roach and Perch.

CarpCatcher86

Hemp seed for me is one of those baits that I almost convinced myself of it's effectiveness.
Until one day when I had run out or forgot to pack a tin and still caught pretty much the same as I did after baiting up with hemp.

tunna

Yeah I'm going to be on the chopped worm on the canal I think. If I get round to it, it's a cheap annual ticket but will mean reelasticating two poles so my dad can come with me, and doing all the rigs, might not get round to it this year. I'm lucky on the estate lake I fish which is my main Tench venue that there's only very sparse shoals of Roach and Perch.
Why buy a annual canal ticket, when you have a BAA book, Who have miles n miles of canal fishing ????🤔, Especially round your neck of the woods.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Why buy a annual canal ticket, when you have a BAA book, Who have miles n miles of canal fishing ????🤔, Especially round your neck of the woods.
It's £5 a year so price of a day ticket. Looks a really good stretch of the 'Curly Wyrley' too. 😁

It's the cost of getting my tackle in order to tame both good stocks of silvers and Tench that I worry about.

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Several years ago I had a 'fish off' with the fishery manager at Cudmore, Staffordshire during the Cyril Brewster days. We both fished a couple of yards apart off the point on Tara. He was on pellet and I was on mashed luncheon meat laced with loads of hemp. We caught one for one all morning but he caught all carp and I caught all tench. How weird.:unsure:

tunna

It's £5 a year so price of a day ticket. Looks a really good stretch of the 'Curly Wyrley' too. 😁

It's the cost of getting my tackle in order to tame both good stocks of silvers and Tench that I worry about.
Oh yeah sorry mate forgot you were joining TK,s mob on the curly wyrley 👍