Teme anglers

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One of the things I'm most looking forward to this year is fishing the Teme, a new venue to me, so I'm putting a little bit of thought into how I'm going to fish it. I'm also putting in a bit of groundwork before I do, in the form of walking the bank at different stretches. So far I've only been to Eardiston which had some spot on looking pegs but I didn't manage to get down to any due to rain, slippy banks and a higher than usual river. But I plan to go back and to different stretches when the banks are dry and the river is a more normal level.

Even with extra water on I could see the bottom in a lot of places, so it seems like a place where a bit of watercraft will be involved, my kind of fishing anyway. A bit of a tip I picked up somewhere that makes natural sense to me anyway, I think it was from Des Taylor, is that if you can find a deeper hole where you can't see the bottom, this is a good place to start, if not a set in stone rule.

One of the things I like about venues like this is that there's likely to be more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to method. Roving has been recommended to me but a lot of that I think will depend on how busy it gets, maybe midweek it'll be a possibility, as I'm yet without a clue to how busy it gets.

So any Teme experts want to share their advice? I don't mind if people are coy about it. I have ideas of how I'm going to approach it, but the excitement of fishing it means it's nice to discuss it.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Don't build your hopes up too much as the river is a pale shadow of the special place it once was.
Hemp and Caster in the blockend is the way to go as there are some good shoals of Chub if you can find them.
If fishing during the day then fish the far bank and cast under the tree line as the Barbel will always seek cover.
If the river has a nice even flow then trundle some meat through as this is a good way to search the swim.
Float fishing is a bit hit and miss and if using maggots you will be bitted to death

Cotheridge I believe is still off limits due to the problem BAA had with the travellers and right of access.
Also a fair few cars parked up in the layby have been damaged in the past

Last edited:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
The decline is very interesting. I'd heard about it.

I fished Broadwas once with my dad and step uncle back around the year 2000 and didn't catch anything, mind you I can't remember how we fished it.

I like a challenge though so am still going to give it a shot, will likely fish it in a similar way to how I fish the Worcs Stour, blockend feeder, but with slightly stepped up tackle. I'm hopefully going to go for a walk on at least one of the BAA stretches with my dad tomorrow.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Been back to Eardiston today with my dad in the hope there would be more pegs available to check out with the river being a bit lower and the banks less slippy. Turns out it was slightly more overgrown than when I went even just a couple of weeks ago. There are about 1 and half pegs there. I only managed to get down to one and there's not much room down there. Does look a good spot though that I'm going to try to fish at least once, it deepens off here just after the shallows near the car park. Another one requires climbing up tree roots on a drop of about 4'. Needs a BAA work party to go out there but even then the banks are steep. I'm going to go and check out Broadwas and Cotheridge later in the week.

2021-05-31 15.13.44.jpg
2021-05-31 15.13.52.jpg

tunna

That peg were you need to climb down the tree roots is my favourite peg at Eardiston. Barbel and chub on meat, a few Grayling on maggot. Alas did not get to fish it last year

Davethefish

Site Supporter
Been back to Eardiston today with my dad in the hope there would be more pegs available to check out with the river being a bit lower and the banks less slippy. Turns out it was slightly more overgrown than when I went even just a couple of weeks ago. There are about 1 and half pegs there. I only managed to get down to one and there's not much room down there. Does look a good spot though that I'm going to try to fish at least once, it deepens off here just after the shallows near the car park. Another one requires climbing up tree roots on a drop of about 4'. Needs a BAA work party to go out there but even then the banks are steep. I'm going to go and check out Broadwas and Cotheridge later in the week.

2021-05-31 15.13.44.jpg
2021-05-31 15.13.52.jpg
Take a dog spike and rope with you. Some of those steep banks can get very slippy if you get a bit of rain on them and a pain to get back out of, especially if you have a bit of gear with you.