Teesside's Local Venues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon R

Site Supporter
This is an updated version of a list I first put together about two years ago, Ive put right all the incorrect information I could find and added some new comments but please feel free to update anything Ive got wrong.

Teessides Local Ponds

Ive purposefully not covered ponds north of Teesside in any detail, mainly because I dont know where they all are and I havent fished them all the ponds listed below Ive fished

Albert Park Lake, Middlesbrough

Situated, as the name suggests within Albert Park the best parking is probably on Claireville Common, then enter on foot through the gates opposite the Porthole Caf.
Redeveloped and restocked early in 2003, sport has been somewhat patchy. The lake was only stocked with carp and roach and during the first winter a number of cormorants descended on the lake, decimating the roach stocks. I think theyve recovered to an extent and Ive also heard rumours of other species getting caught too.
There is certainly some potential for good catches, however avoid summer weekends or school holidays when boating takes place, the disturbance will almost certainly prevent any decent catches.
Best methods seem to be waggler / feeder, the water is still fairly clear which seems to keep the fish away from the margins. Best baits are probably maggot / worm with sweetcorn a good change bait.
The biggest problem with fishing down there is the number of numpties, smackheads and chavs who populate the area, Id fish at first light and leave before lunchtime when the Neanderthals emerge from their caves.
Day tickets are about 3 and available on the bank or from the office adjacent to the roller skating rink.

Hemlington Lake, Middlesbrough

Situated in the centre of Hemlington, the best (and safest) parking is adjacent to the farmhouse at the end of Nuneaton Drive. Hemlington Lake suffered from heavy cormorant predation a few years ago and has never recovered. Anglers now fish only for the large carp which were too big for the cormorants to remove. There does seem to be an increasing number of these large carp getting caught (three or four in a day Ive heard) but the lake is gin-clear and very weedy.
This used to be one of the best fisheries in the area in its heyday (mid-late 80s) and its a crying shame that the local authority havent made any attempt to restore it to its former glory.
Day tickets are priced about the same as Albert Park and are available on the bank.

Poole Hospital Pond

Situated behind the former hospital of the same name, this lake is approached from the A172, taking the unsignposted minor road from the roundabout at the junction with the A1043 and Stokesley Road. Follow the track to the farmhouse, and then continue straight on along a very rough track to the car-parking area on the left. The lake is straight ahead through the woods. Update: the car-parking area has now been barried off, so park near the farmhouse and walk down the track for access.

Formerly a club-water (managed jointly by Middlesbrough and Stokesley AC) the non-availability of a long-term lease plus a major problem with litter, vandalism and general anti-social behaviour around the lake forced them to relinquish the fishing rights four or five years ago. Most of the fish were netted out at that time and transferred to other waters. However the fish which remained have grown on and bred and during 2002/2003 some good catches were reported roach, crucian carp & tench. Now the new housing estate has been completed Im not sure who owns the land anymore.
The future of the lake is uncertain although I suspect that you may still be able to fish it. I last had a walk round there about eighteen months ago and judging by the fresh litter its still getting fished from time to time.

Greystones Reservoir, Lazenby

Adjacent to the A174 Parkway just past the major roundabout (junction with A1053) this is a Wilton AC controlled water. Best known for its carp and bream theres various other species in there too. Day-tickets are not available but membership of the club is open. Check-out their web-site for further information theres also some photographs of catches made at the lake.
http://www.wac.5u.com/

Hartburn Brick Pond, Stockton

Popularly known as the Bricky the pond is best approached from Darlington Road, parking near the bowls club and then taking the public footpath through a gate to the lake. Ownership of the lake has changed a few times in recent years and I think its currently controlled by APV club. The lake is probably best known for its excellent tench fishing, fish to over 6lbs being caught fairly regularly in the summer months. Theres also some big carp (I think theres somebody from this board who caught a twenty from there a couple of years ago) and a reasonable head of smaller fish plus it used to contain a good head of pike (mainly jacks) Day tickets are around 3 on the bank.

Charltons Pond, Billingham

Situated at the end of Hereford Terrace (just off Cowpen Lane). The larger of the two ponds used to be best known for large carp (20lb+) and latterly catches of big bream. Although I dont think theres been much caught from it for a few years.
The small pond has had loads of work done to it recently and reopened after a major restocking last year I believe. The fishing is controlled by Billingham Sportsmans Club and day-tickets are available on the bank. Id phone the Tackle Box at Billingham for the latest information.

Seamer (Carrs) Pond, Seamer

A small pond of perhaps an acre, its best known for the 20lb+ carp which get caught fairly regularly. Theres also a good head of general coarse fish roach, perch, tench (and some of the biggest gudgeon Ive ever seen). To find it take the B1365 out of Middlesbrough towards Stokesley and take the second turn-off to Seamer (past Arcadia Nurseries). Once into the village turn left and then right at the duck-pond. Stay on this road for approximately three-quarters of a mile and youll see the pond on the left-hand side just past a large white farmhouse. Day tickets are approximately 5 and are available on the bank. The owner has a reputation of a being a little fierce and if she doesnt like the look of you may well turf you off be warned!
Update: Now completely shut to all angling Im told.

Hutton Rudby Ponds, Campion Lane

Situated on the west side of the village, these two ponds are controlled by Middlesbrough AC. These used to be excellent ponds, full of tench, crucians, roach, rudd and even a few chub and used to be one of the best venues in the area. I certainly dont think theyre a patch on what they used to be like but theyve been affected by cormorant predation and also had an outbreak of blue/green algae a couple of years ago. Day-tickets are not available but membership of Middlesbrough AC is open.

Renny Lake, East Harlsey

Probably the closest commercial fishery to Teesside (and in my opinion one of the best), Renny Lake has been open for almost five years now. To find the lake take the A19 south from Teesside, turn right at the turn-off to East Harlsey (just past the two filling stations and before the Cleveland Tontine) continue through the village and at the T-junction (opposite The Cat & Bagpipes) turn right. Renny Lake is about half-a-mile down the lane on the right hand side. Day tickets are 5 in the summer (March-October), 4 the rest of the year. The lake does get very busy in the summer and you may struggle to find a peg at times. Main species are carp, roach and chub with smaller numbers of tench and rudd. The carp go to 10lb+, chub to 4lb and the roach must be pushing 2lb now.
Earlier this year a second lake was opened (just behind the main one), this has been stocked with mainly carp and rudd theres also a few rogue trout in there, which may all have been caught now.
Most of the venue regulars fish the pole 90% of the time but the waggler can score and the tip can be deadly in the winter. Best baits depend on the time of year in the summer catmeat, pellets and corn work well, in the winter chopped worm and maggot/caster seem more effective. Bloodworm and joker can be deadly in the colder weather, accounting for numerous 20lb+ roach catches in matches (before they were stopped)
As for best pegs, if you were to ask half-a-dozen venue regulars their opinion youd probably get the same number of different answers. In my opinion though Id say the top three spots are probably the point almost opposite the entrance to the lake (fishing either towards the island or into the open water on the other side); the pegs in front of the long island in the middle of the lake and finally the deeper channel between that and the bottom island.
I understand that there are plans for another lake alongside the existing one (subject to planning permission) which is likely to be a snake lake type of design and hopefully reintroduce match-fishing to the lake. For more information about the lake generally check out the website http://www.rennylake.co.uk/ - this also gives contact details for the owner Jeff Whittaker.
Update: Website appears to be dead!

Tontine Lake, Staddlebridge

Just down the A19 from Renny Lake is the Cleveland Tontine Inn & restaurant, what many people dont realise is that on the opposite side of the road is a two acre lake! Parking is on the roadside - from Teesside leave the A19 on the A172 and travel over the flyover before parking on the verge on the right-hand side. Make sure the entrance track to the farm is kept clear. Access to the lake is via a stile, then across the field to a second stile.
The lake contains carp to 26lb, tench to over 6lb, bream to over 8lb and double-figure pike. There is usually at least one 5lb+ eel caught ever year and if thats not enough theres also loads of small perch and roach, together with occasional chub, rudd, crucians and gudgeon. Its not an easy water but there are large stocks of fish, which, according to the last EA scale count, are growing well. Theres a lot of natural food in the lake which probably explains why the fishing can be poor at times. The weed and reed beds had been almost destroyed by the resident geese populations however both have been reestablished and should be flourishing by next summer.
As a very rough guide, the best carp pegs are 1, 9,13,14,18 & 20 (generally fishing into the snags). For tench peg 16 fishing into the corner and for the bream 5,6,7,13 and 14 fishing into open water. Bait-wise its generally boilies and large, drilled pellets for the carp, corn for the tench and worm for the bream. The carp will sometimes take floaters, especially early in the season but again the snag pegs are generally best.
No day-tickets are available for this Stokesley AC controlled water but membership is open and costs 25/year plus a 10 joining fee. Application forms are available from most of the local tackle shops and online.
See the website for more details:- http://groups.msn.com/StokesleyAC/

Mount Lodge Farm Pond, Mount Grace Priory, Osmotherley

Half-a-mile past the Cleveland Tontine is the National Trust owned Mount Grace Priory. If you take the road to the priory just before you reach the entrance theres a small pond on the left-hand side, with an adjacent car-park. Theres only eleven pegs, one at either end of the pond and nine along the far-bank. The lake contains a few carp to double figures, bream, roach, perch, gudgeon and tench. The last couple of years have been notable for the explosion of skimmers and proper bream, from catching none three years ago we are now seeing twenty pounds plus being caught in a session. Access is only open to the lake between 9am and 6pm; dont risk staying any later or you might get locked in!
The best pegs are generally peg one (at the car-park end of the lake) and pegs three and four, midway along the north bank. Bait-wise youre talking about maggot, caster, corn and meat nothing too fancy. The bream seem to get caught most on a small groundbait feeder, fishing about two-thirds of the way across from the pegs on the north-bank. The lakes about four feet deep at the car-park end dropping to just two feet at the priory end. Another Stokesley AC controlled water and again no day-tickets are available, see above for annual subscription details.

Dromonby Farm Ponds, Great Busby

The newest venue around Teesside (opened Easter 2003) there are three ponds making up this complex two of which are currently open for angling. To find the ponds take the B1257 from Stokesley into Great Broughton. At the mini-roundabout in the centre of the village turn right and drive through the village of Kirkby. Once through the village the farm entrance is about a quarter of a mile along on the left (theres a big stone wall on the opposite side of the road). Follow the track along to the car-park.
The lakes currently open are the one right in front of the car-park and the other on the opposite side of the access road (youll have driven past it and not known its there its near the hedge) Theres a third pond on the far-side of the one near the car-park but that isnt open for angling yet.
Theres only a dozen pegs on each pond, on the main pond Id stick to those on the left as theyre considerably deeper than those near the island. On the smaller pond there doesnt seem to be any areas to avoid although against the island is VERY shallow. Main species are carp and rudd plus tench and (mainly in the small pond) some big (2lb+) golden orfe. There are hordes of little (4) rudd present put a maggot on and youll catch nothing else but. Best bait for the carp is probably corn, pellet or cat-meat. In the larger pond theres carp to well over ten pound, in the smaller they probably go to about 6lb. Theres fairly regular club matches held on the small pond (mainly Stokesley AC) and the current match-record is around the 30lb mark.
More details on the website: http://www.dromonbyfarmfishery.com
(apologies for the crummy photos I took most of them[:p])

Ingleby Road Pond, Great Broughton

Not far from the above venue, follow the directions above but turn left at the mini-roundabout in the centre of Great Broughton. The lake is well signposted about a mile outside the village on the left-hand side.
The lake has been there for many years but has been extended and generally tidied-up about three or four years ago. Theres about twenty pegs on the lake, which is a very irregular shape, the best pegs seem to be generally those with a feature to fish to whether thats an overhanging tree or a weedbed.
Its one of them lakes at which you really dont know what youre going to catch next. Theres carp, bream, roach, crucians and tench that I know of (plus a few trout courtesy of the lakes former life as a trout fishery) and Im sure plenty of other species too. Most baits and methods work, although probably due to the lakes fairly small size pole tactics seem to be the most popular.
Day-tickets are 5 although they may have gone up since last time I fished it and are available on the bank.

Whitehouse Farm Pond, Great Broughton

The entrance to this pond is right next door to Ingleby Road pond, follow the track into the caravan park, and go under the old railway bridge to the car-park near the beck. The pond (and parking area) was signposted last time I went but that may have changed.
There are two linked ponds making up this fishery, one (the older one) being roughly circular, and the other being rectangular with a central island. I havent fished the pond for some time but it used to hold a good head of sizeable carp (to low doubles) along with a mixture of other species.
Due to its location on the caravan park Id avoid the place during school holidays or summer weekends - youre likely to be overrun with screaming kids. Day tickets used to be about 5 but this may have changed.

Stony Lane Pond, Staddlebridge

Formerly a day-ticket water, Stony Lane is now controlled by Stokesley AC joining instructions above. Its situated just off the A19, half-a-mile south of the Tontine Inn, turn right at the large metal oil drum (currently painted bright yellow). The lake is situated on the left-hand side about 800 yds down the road.
Extensive restocking has been carried out over the last 3 years nearly 2000 fish (predominantly carp) have been introduced. The first stocking was not too successful but its hoped the second batch of fish (introduced October 2003) will start to show soon.
There are a few large carp (best caught to date 6lb 8oz) and chub remaining from the ponds former status as a day-ticket water. The club are determined to continue introducing fish and hope to restore the pond to its former glory.

Picton Ponds

Theres actually two ponds near Picton level crossing (take the road to Picton from near the A67/A19 junction and youll come to the level crossing)
The first is in the field on the left-hand side just before the crossing, look across and youll see a few scraggy bushes theres actually a pond in the middle of them!
Its amazingly deep for its size (fifteen feet in places) and although I havent fished it for years it used to contain roach, perch, tench and chub no idea where any of them have come from. I dont know whos land its on but the last time I fished it there were a couple of blokes working in the field and they had no objections to me having a dabble.
On the opposite side of the road, just before the crossing theres a track that runs parallel with the railway. At the end is a sizeable pond of about an acre. A fishing club I was a member of years ago had the fishing rights at one time. Its also very deep (an old brick pit I think) and used to contain big gudgeon and perch. I dont know who (if anybody) has the rights now but it might be worth driving down to have a look.

New Marske Reservoir

Situated just off Grewgrass Lane in New Marske itself this is another water controlled by Middlesbrough AC. Holds a fair number of 20lb+ carp and as probably the only specimen carp venue on Teesside it gets a fair bit of hammer. There used to be a reasonable head of other fish in the water too but Ive no idea what the current situation is. Day-tickets not issued but Middlesbrough AC membership is easily available.

Margrove Park

A small fairly overgrown pond between Charltons and Margove Park (just off A171) this is a club water controlled by North Ormesby Institute AC. Quite hard to find if you havent been before, its not visible from the road (the ponds you can see are all nature reserves) Its a mixed fishery containing various species. Its fairly well fished in the summer but generally deserted in the winter months.

Locke Park / The Stell

Locke Park Lake is situated in Redcar and is currently fishless I understand. It used to be a reasonable mixed fishery (a typical park lake really) but years of neglect left it with serious water quality problems and siltation. Ive no idea what the local councils long-term plans are for the lake but I suspect funding will be the problem.

The small watercourse that runs through the park connects, further downstream, to The Stell which is a reasonable sized pond situated inside land belonging to Corus (British Steel) although access is easy from the nature reserve side of the pond too. Big carp and bream are the main species in The Stell but neither are particularly easy to catch. The water is controlled by Coruss Angling section (usually known as The Stellmen) but Ive no idea how you go about joining or what they charge for membership.

Thats about it as far as Teessides local waters go. Theres a few club venues that should be mentioned though.
Thornaby AC control Ascot Ponds at Faceby, there are three ponds, only two of which are open for fishing the top pond being used as a stock pond. The biggest lake (the first one) has a good head of skimmers and carp (averaging about 3-6lb) together with roach and perch. The carp can be caught on the usual baits pellets, corn, meat etc and for their size are probably the hardest fighting fish in the area.

Yarm AC have the rights on Tursdale Pond just off the A172 near Stokesley its a mixed fishery which seems to be one of those waters where you either bag-up or catch next to nothing.

Cleveland Police control the fishing on half of Tame Bridge Pond, I know the lake contains some good carp and big rudd but other than that details are a little scarce. I believe they also hold the fishing rights on a pond near Pinchinthorpe. All I know about this lake is its rumoured to contain some good roach.

Theres a pond near Guisborough Priory which used to hold carp to over twenty pounds. It was polluted due to an outbreak of purple sulphur bacteria six years ago, resulting in a total fish-kill. Nothing has been restocked yet, as far as I know.

Also in East Cleveland theres Stanghow (or Claphow) Reservoir between Skelton and Lingdale used to belong to Middlesbrough AC, then was taken over by Skelton AC and now I believe its a day-ticket venue. Ive no idea whats in there the only thing I remember from when Middlesbrough had it was that it was a hell of a walk to get there.

East Rounton Pond (just north of Renny Lake) used to be (and may still be) controlled by APV Club
It used to contain roach, perch and some massive gudgeon but that was a long time ago. Don't know anybody who's fished it recently - I'd check the local tackle shops for APV's contact details and ask them.

Station Road, Stokesley
Just past the industrial estate heading out of Stokesley theres a track leading to a farm on the left hand side half-way down the track crosses the old railway line and the old cutting has flooded forming a pond.
Its barely ten metres wide and probably about 50m long and theres only three swims in it but (apparently) its stuffed with fish!
I dont know a lot of details and Im not 100% sure who owns it (APV or the Stellmen I think) but it might be worth checking it out.

Just north of Teesside theres a number of venues around Stillington and Carlton I havent fished them but theres two near Stillington (West Farm and another one). One I think is called Horseshoe Lake, Ive only seen it from the top of the hill but it looks like a good hike back up with all your gear.
The Teesside Association have built a new venue at Bishopton Mill, its purely for members of the association and Im not sure if its actually open yet.
The latest venue in the area opened in July this year Carrs Lake at Carlton. A 60 peg venue its been stocked with the usual species carp, tench, rudd, orfe etc. I had a walk round it just after it opened and it looked very barren what itll look like now after all this rain I dread to think no doubt itll soon get greener. Its 6 a day and the list of rules and regulations is thankfully short just the usual keepnets in matches only and barbless hooks.

Theres a few ponds around Darlington Snipe Lane, Willowgarth and Fox Covert which are controlled by Darlington Brown Trout AC. Yarm AC also have another stillwater in the area Halnaby Lake.
Theres also Middleton Water Park (also known as Fighting Cocks) at Middleton St George. Ferryhill AC have taken over the running of the two old reservoirs available for angling but I understand day-tickets are still available. Mainly fished for the 20lb+ carp in one of the reservoirs, theres also a good head of silver fish which arent fished for much.

Further north again, Im afraid I only have very sketchy information. Theres Eden Meadows near Wingate three lakes, two of which are normally used for match fishing. Website has more information http://www.edenmeadows.co.uk/index1.htm

Ferryhill AC have a couple of stillwaters in Co.Durham, Hartlepool AC have some waters around Wingate I think, theres a commercial fishery at Bearpark just outside Durham City and other than various other club waters I think thats about it.

Please feel free to correct me on all the mistakes I've made and if you want any more information on any of these venues I'll try and help.

Tight Lines

Simon

Last edited:

Robert T

Great report simon, i didnt think there was so much local fishing.

Hemlington Lake : I was told at the council recreation centre that fishing was now free and its not worth the cost of collecting tickets.

Seamer ponds : yor right about the owner ! But she does let a few regulars fish it in winter and a few fish out last year to tontine size.

Robert T

Yorkie

Site Supporter
Latest details for Charlton's pond can be found on Billingham Angling Club's website @ http://www.billinghamanglingclub.com/

mecca

Another smoggy
nice report matey.....heres the 20+ from the bricky in stockton

"everyones got an enemy.thats why god invented baseball bats.well he invented trees but we knew what he meant"

mecca

Another smoggy
yep

"everyones got an enemy.thats why god invented baseball bats.well he invented trees but we knew what he meant"

THE PIKEPERVERT

hello simon, to become a member of corus a.c. you need to work for corus and that is the only way you can fish the river fleet,known locally as the stell, we also control kirby bridge farm pond which you have called station road pond, tight lines.

DJJ

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
quote:hello simon, to become a member of corus a.c. you need to work for corus and that is the only way you can fish the river fleet,known locally as the stell, we also control kirby bridge farm pond which you have called station road pond, tight lines.

Or you can hide in the long grass in the summer and keep an eye out for members whilst having a crafty fish......[;)] I did it as a kid all the time[:D]

They called you the Belfast boy.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered."

http://community.webshots.com/user/goodchris1

THE PIKEPERVERT

hello mate, good honest kids who just want to fish are tollerated, i dont fish it anymore( no pike ) but i know it produces big carp and bream, and when right good bags of perch and roach, tight lines.

p.s. im the present chairman.....everyone goes to the bar or toilet when electing new committee members !

DJJ

BAD TO THE BONE !

Cybermanc

Eagle Eyes
Do you know Gordon Sanderson then David??

They called you the Belfast boy.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered."

http://community.webshots.com/user/goodchris1

Status
Not open for further replies.