Tech heads/ big brother watching us

62tucker

Site Supporter
Can anyone tell me how this happens and can I stop it.
I am not on Facebook or twitter or any of them social media stuff.
I was on eBay this morning and looking at fishing stuff and clicked watch a carp barrow. About a hour later my daughter went on Facebook and was getting adverts for carp barrows. Not the first time this happened.. I cat really do anything in secret anyone.

changrilla

Depends on your browser but look for tracking protection in 'Tools'. The downside is it might block tracking when you want it so you might have to add exceptions. Tracking uses cookies but so does your bank and many other sites for purposes other than advertising.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As above but also the algorithms look into the history of the pages that you have visited and will pick up on a product in a webpage that you have visited and display that and similar products in a targeted advert.
In eBay's case above you will have logged a cookie in your PC so that when you next visit ebay it knows that you're watching the barrow. That cookie again could be being used as you have found.

In all fairness you cannot do much about it nowadays as the internet and internet connected devices are being driven to becoming one big advertising/selling platform.
The only thing you can do is delete cookies, temporary internet files and history on a regular basis; that again can become a pain in the arris

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Google have a plugin that you can use here:
https://support.google.com/ads/answer/7395996

Microsoft (MSN) have some info here:
https://account.microsoft.com/privacy/ad-settings/signedout

Others probably have the same sorts of things.

But in my experience these only last for a while before you have to keep going back in to reset them.

Unfortunately the ad-men own your ass and they make it exceedingly difficult to opt out and stay out.

Plus as technology leaps forward it is going to get an awful lot worse.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
Another option that just occurred to me is to use a 'private' browser session. (CTRL * Shift * P) in I.E. and Firefox. Not sure about others. This is supposed to clear any history or cache from your session when you close the browser.

pat 1948

22/09/13 - 17/03/18
In Memoriam
I get the same whenever I go on ebay, even when I'm looking for something entirely different, I just ignore it now and eventually it goes away, mind, it's usually replaced by something else I've looked at.[:D]

62tucker

Site Supporter
What gets me is I am looking on my iPad and my iPhone and its coming up on her/daughters iPad on Facebook.. So whatever I been looking at for Xmas presents probably been coming up her Facebook over the last month. And what happens if I been looking at adult stuff and she been a child.
How are the tablets and phones linked to hers
I no if I have looked at say a barrow and I go on other sites I can get a ad for barrows

Bungee

Im guessing either geo tag or IP Address? Quite interested in this thread myself...

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by muskrat

Another option that just occurred to me is to use a 'private' browser session. (CTRL * Shift * P) in I.E. and Firefox. Not sure about others. This is supposed to clear any history or cache from your session when you close the browser.

Why bother faffing about, in firefox, options, privacy & security tab just select "clear history" and on the cookies tab "till i close firefox" then when you shut it down everything is cleared.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by 62tucker

What gets me is I am looking on my iPad and my iPhone and its coming up on her/daughters iPad on Facebook.. So whatever I been looking at for Xmas presents probably been coming up her Facebook over the last month. And what happens if I been looking at adult stuff and she been a child.
How are the tablets and phones linked to hers
I no if I have looked at say a barrow and I go on other sites I can get a ad for barrows

"adult stuff" doesn't show up on facebook.

The way an "internet guru" explained it to me is the reason your daughter is getting the adverts is because you only have ONE IP address which your wireless router uses.

Everything you look at passes through the wireless router to a second IP address assigned to your equipment by the router...so the targetted advertising will read what is stored in the router not what is stored on your equipment.

Of course, if your IP provider is a greedy git then they could be allowing the advertising companies to go through your saved data in their system, don't forget that by law your entire internet history is stored by your IP provider so in reality it doesn't matter what "anti" tracking/advertising stuff you use or how secure you may think your system is... it isn't!

T.I

It's not so much that info is stored on the router, imagine receiving a letter, the house number and postcode is akin to your public IP address telling the posty where to deliver the letter, whoever picks up the delivered mail is akin to the router, dishing out the letters to their intended recipients. Poorly described analogy aside, essentially most households connect to the Web using a single IP and that IP could well be associated with looking at/being interested in xyz.

Another possibility would be that your daughter logged onto her FB using your device, Facebook may then associate your 'browsing history' with her account. Or even if you and your daughter are friends on FB and if, for example, she's liked a photo of you fishing or similar, FB 'relates' this information and guesses your daughter likes fishing so may be interested in the same fishing ads that you may be interested in.

As for 'adult stuff' I think it would depend on exactly what, for example if you were looking at buying ToH something then I'd imagine that could well pop up in an advert. This is where parental controls and the like come in, NSPCC have some good information on this and more https://www.nspcc.org.uk/preventing-abuse/keeping-children-safe/online-safety/parental-controls/

Close to digressing so to come back on topic, there are lots of ways that sites can record or 'best guess' your online activity. If you don't want to be tracked the only thing you could do is turn off javascript, flash and cookies, but your online experience will significantly decrease. Whitelisting sites as needed is a possibility but soon becomes a pain in the a**e. And, this doesn't stop your ISP or the sites you visit from logging 'your' (as in IP address') activity, with the potential that the logged information is shared.

Last edited:

62tucker

Site Supporter
Like I said I am not on any social media sites Must be it IP address