Team Peter or Team Dave - get your Nuggets Out :)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The back of the island in my swim was where the walkway was to the point that was once there and for some reason, perhaps the bottom is different, the fish were not present apart from a few skimmers and passers through, the guy on the peg to my left found the same, it seemed like it was devoid of fish yet to the sides of the island was a different matter, the original lake bed.
Getting them to feed was a different matter though as they seemed reluctant to do so.

I started off at 13m plus a half section to sneak into the island margin which at 3ft on the mud line and falling rapidly to 5ft, didn't inspire confidence.
A foul-hooker resulted then a couple of Ide, but nothing of any note.

Peter meanwhile was having a right mare amongst the sticks having rigs trashed left right and centre.
The guy to the left of me was finding the same as I, not a lot doing, behind the island. The guy to the right was long chucking a method feeder to the back of the far island, what was originally a far bank point, and it appeared that the fish had moved there out of everyone's way; it was busy with most pegs taken. He was catching pretty much from the off, steady away, clipped up and hard to the island.

After a couple of foul hookers, some small skimmers, and not a lot else, I went mid water about top-two plus three where I had been feeding a few pellets. This turned into a jacuzzi with a mass of bubbles but not fish, again apart from a few small silvers.

Three hours in and half time was called for an hour's lunch much to the disappointment of the chap to the left of me who was just finding a few carp show up to his castors fed to the left of the island, under a tree.
I was pleased for the break with about 9lb or so to show for my efforts.

Peter was having a mare of a day still and to make matters worse, they forgot to bring his cheese burger round to him :(

2:00pm and it was all-in again, I tried the island, the margins and the mid-water but again nothing there, gill feeding bubbles mid-water but that was it, so out came a hybrid feeder, some dampened micros, and a hair rigged no6 pellet. This was cast to my right down the side of the island into the open water. Not a lot of room to work in and I half expected that if I hooked one it would take me around the back of the island. It wasn't possible to get close up to it with a feeder due to the overhanging reeds and trees.

A few wrap rounds and a few foul hookers saw me shorten the hooklength further, then nothing. Frustrating to say the least.
Then a couple of small F1's followed, and not long later a sharp tug that resulted in a snapped hooklength :eek:

I upped the strength of the hooklength and was glad I did as the next pull resulted in a fighting fit Common that led me a merry dance as I couldn't get it's head up off the bottom. In the net it went though, bonus.
Another one of similar came a few casts later and I thought at this stage I was around the 30lb weight, reasonably confident that if Peter was still struggling I might just beat him, who knows ;)

1625348430747.png
Time called once again and the scales arrived on my lake to give me near to what I expected, 31lb 7oz

We had a wait for the scales to come to Peter though and he didn't feel confident....

1625348128788.png

He lied :D

the scalesmen set up....

1625348175308.png

Peter managed two good weighs (feeling smug)..

1625348230117.png

And he relieved me of a Nugget, with 52lb 2oz on the scales to my 31lb 7 ...

1625348366826.png

All in all, it was good fun, no malice intended, Peters not to be trusted, and if he says he's had a mare of a day, don't drop your guard :D

The real winner in all of this is the Yorkshire Cancer Centre which through your generous support is a few hundred nuggets better off.
I'll update the thread tomorrow with the final figure; last night we were up to £222.00 :)

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Well done the mugger! Hard luck Dave, but sounds like you worked hard. Great to have fun and support a very good cause, so thanks guys 😊

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
You kept that quiet Peter :eek:

Did you find my glasses as I lost them lol

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
Well there is the Pork Pie match where the balance can be redressed. However I put a nugget on @Mrs Munch winning that one :rolleyes:

Well done chaps, a good amount raised for a very good cause so fair play to you both (y)

Have to form a master plan to beat the southern softies....