Teaching a 6 year old - advice please

philb

Site Supporter
Account Locked
My 6yo is keen to join me next time I go fishing and I need some help as I've never taught anyone to fish and hardly remember learning. I do recall being given a 7' glass fiber rod, I think it was a spinning rod, and an old reel that was so heavy it must surely have been cast in lead, (half) filled with thick stiff old mono, and encouraged to waggler fish on a series of lakes and canals using a size 12 hook (my Dad had bad eyesight) and a lump of bread or corn. Despite it not being the "best" setup, I caught with it and was hooked.

I recently cleared out all my unused gear and don't think I have anything suitable for him to use. It's his birthday soon so planning to get him some kit.

I'm not minded to get an Argos style starter kit. I want him to enjoy using this kit for some time, not have to upgrade it the minute he gets into it. I'm also not sure if to start him on a rod or whip.

If a float rod, the shortest I have found is 9' (ttps://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/browning-ck-micro-waggler-rod, but it is a bit more than I was hoping to spend, or there a couple of £25 pellet waggler rods at 10' (Shakespeare Omni Pellet Waggler Rods or Advanta X3 Power Float Rod. At 6yo, I'm not sure he's able to control a 10' rod though.

I've found a 7' feeder rod Preston Monster X Wandzee Rod but I think he'll find float fishing easier.

For a whip, should I get elasticated or not? What length would you recommend?

Any other advice much appreciated.

Things I do know - he needs to be warm and dry, he needs to catch so we're going somewhere prolific, even if he catches I should expect the session to be short, I shouldn't expect to fish the first few sessions as I'll be acting as ghillie.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Start with a couple of short Trips to keep him interested, a simple Whip approach Elasticated or as i did with our Jnr top 2 and 1 of a Margin pole, then somewhere where he will catch even if its little stuff then once he can bait up and unhook its sit back and enjoy. But thats when it starts to get a bit Expensive ;);)

Andy the grandad

Stress is caused by not fishing enough.
Site Supporter
I have recently been getting my grandaughter into fishing a bit while on holiday, she was about six when she started.
I would suggest starting with a top two from a pole, fished to hand and a simple rig and maggots for bait. that way you will catch lots and keep the interest going.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Make sure they can walk before you teach them to run.
To many kids are given 3lb carp rods and all the gear only to throw it all away 6 months later.
A 3 or 4 meter whip and a rig after bits is the way to go, l taught all my 3 this way. A landing net, disgorger and seat. That should set you back about 30 quid. If you have a spare seat ,disgorger rig and an old coat in a black bag then you only need a whip, about £10 off ebay or your local shop.
I still use the whips today that my children used.

philb

Site Supporter
Account Locked
thanks for the tips. I may well have some top kits from old poles. I kept those for spares. Either that or I'll pick up a cheap 3m whip.
Thanks for the advice

Macca81

My son is 7 and when I take him that’s exactly what I do just take a couple of top kits and 1 more section, £3 for a pint of maggots and your off

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
And don't forget to take him to somewhere that's got plenty of little (to you and I) Perch and Roach.

Corn Master

Keep it interesting and don't fish yourself. A couple of hours and catch gudgeon, roach an small tench. Plenty of patience with some fair weather will be enough but most importantly don't leave anything on the ground you might want to keep

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
As others have said when I took my kids ( a long time ago ) I used an elasticated whip / margin pole.
I have one of these for holidays It may do if you want to go down the rod and reel route.
Amazon product

Dusty

I’m currently in the process of getting my mate and his lad into fishing.
Managed to give him a hand me down 5m whip for his young lad, went the other day and st his lad up at 3 metres with a 6–10 elastic and he caught a net full of bream and roach.
We went the week before using rod and line and he really struggled.

derwentboy

Site Supporter
My lad and I goto many well run PAAS junior events and they do exactly as many have stated above. Whip to hand to start with..it's simple and works nicely..I started my lad off with a 4m elasticated whip..all the basic principles of presenting your bait are there..fishing for silvers/crucians in the margins etc. Just moved my lad onto a long pole ...shipping in and out..up to about 6m maybe...and he's just starting legering a bit. Although it all comes so easy to us..rod and line does add another layer of complexity and coordination for them to deal with and they're( children) all different. One step at a time...but they can catch enough on the simpler methods with some of the fisheries available now straightaway. Gone are the days I remember with a 6ft Daiwa fibreglass boat rod you could have killed someone with..some size 14s and a cheap silstar reel...mind you I still caught enough to get hooked;-)

philb

Site Supporter
Account Locked
As others have said when I took my kids ( a long time ago ) I used an elasticated whip / margin pole.
I have one of these for holidays It may do if you want to go down the rod and reel route.
Amazon product
that's a great idea, I have a travel rod - thanks

Silver fan 82

Just started fishing with my son this season. He is four, got him a cheap 3 meter whip and he loves it!
As others have said, short sessions, two hours or so, go to a venue with plenty of small silvers to keep him interested. Maggots for bait and your all good! Oh yeah, don't forget the sandwiches!
I think a whip is a good starting point for little ones as there is a lot less chance of tangles as there is no reel to worry about , plus whip fishing is great fun! Once they have got used to it a bit move on to a small rod and reel if you want to.

nico12

Grebe Grabber
I've got 2 lads who I take a couple of times a year....Simple Whip (5m) and maggots. Catch anything that swims approach. I have elasticated the whips with a medium elastic. Chopped a bit back etc. I bought Shakespeare Omni ( I think) - They aren't the best but very forgiving and bend like a rod :)

Slop and maggot - usually pick up skimmers / roach and the odd big perch. Kids like the variety and odd elastic stretcher!!

They have cheap chair and an old Fox seatbox, picked up for pennies. I usually accept im not going to fish but have taken a method rod and caught the odd fish to keep us interested.
Don't underestimate the kit and snacks you need !!!!! :)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
3m whip and a rig and start with a short session on a silvers pool, keep your temper, keep an eye on him, water and kids are a dangerous combination, good chair and some lunch... session should be no longer than 1-2 hours otherwise boredom sets in... look for a prolific water....

oh okay same as what others have said.....

Fritz

Petri Heil! (german angler‘s greeting)
Try watching the early ones on " Easy Fishing" on you tube. Let the little ones watch too.
I too like the “Easy Fishing“ Channel with Bill Allen on YouTube very much. In my opinion one of the best Fishing Channels on YouTube. I like his honest way of fishing and explaining it without rushing. He is a very experienced angler, but very humble and does not hesitate to share his knowledge. May God grant him many years!

I would suggest, as others have done, to use a 3-4m whip and catch small Roach and Perchs. A short whip is way easier to handle then a Rod/Reel combination (less tangle and easier to cast)

Last edited:

HALTON DANGLER

short sessions, hour or two max, even if kids area bite a chuck they still lose interest after an hour or so. Take them fishing for roach and perch and leave the carp for later, fishing is about a journey and i think everyone remebers there journey to that first "monster". Memories of sessions on the bank, first fish and then the bigger fish will be what they will look back on and if they do stray away form fishing in their teens it will be what draws them back in in later years.

Have fun, take plenty of pictures, tights lines

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Taught my grandson with a cheap margin pole. Better than a whip as he is still using it regularly and would probably have outgrown a whip. Whips are so cheap though you could afford to get one and only use it a couple of times before you upgrade.

He’s 9 now and can put his own maggots on, use a landing net and even unhook 95% of his fish himself.