TDR vs TDM

lambrettasx200

TDR quick drag is mag sealed and far better than the TDM imho. I have 3 X 3000 size and 2 X 4000 size and cannot fault them. Avoid the TDX the screw in handle is a pain that's why there's so many second hand

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
TDR quick drag is mag sealed and far better than the TDM imho. I have 3 X 3000 size and 2 X 4000 size and cannot fault them. Avoid the TDX the screw in handle is a pain that's why there's so many second hand

Might be worth checking with Daiwa, the 18 TDR isn't listed as magsealed on their site, but its predecessor was. Be strange for them to remove a feature, might be an oversight from whoever inputted the page data.

Zerkalo

I saw a comment on youtube "Well done Daiwa. A £200 real and you can't even magseal it". Not having used Daiwa reels before I wasn't sure what magsealing was and had to check.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I have a Legalis 3012 double handle , nice reel, on a par with the TDM, possibly a bit faster, and a bit cheaper.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Magsealing basically keeps rubbish out of the bearings, should in theory make the reel smoother for longer.

But not all magsealing is equal, on some reals only the rotor / main body bearing is sealed, on some they go as far as sealing the line roller bearing too, and on some outrageously prices reels (Exist LT?) they magseal pretty much everything and charge nearly £800 for it.

Magsealing isn't essential if you're comfortable stripping a reel to service it, so you can remove all the rubbish and re-lubricate.

Or be like me and not drop the reel in water or get it covered in mud to begin with, apart from a bit of bait my reels stay clean :) Line roller bearing might need servicing regardless purely because of wet line.

I saw a comment on youtube "Well done Daiwa. A £200 real and you can't even magseal it". Not having used Daiwa reels before I wasn't sure what magsealing was and had to check.

It get's a bit worse that that, i bought a TDR Distance for about £280 and that isn't magsealed either, but i intend to look after it.

Louis D

Site Supporter
I have a couple of original TDRs that operate like when I bought them new and some new ones bought last year so plenty of cash spent, nothing magsealed and no concerns. The MD jury mainly seems convinced that magsealed = better but does anyone actually has the experience to back it up. Plus they're more expensive to service.

Zerkalo

I'm going to get the TDR next week unless in the off chance I see something I like at the Big One show.

Zerkalo

Just ordered

1x Daiwa 18 TDR Reel, Size: 3012 QD £189.99
1x Maxima Chameleon - Maxi Spool, Breaking Strain: 4lb, Length: 600m £13.49
1x Maxima Chameleon - Maxi Spool, Breaking Strain: 6lb, Length: 600m £15.65
2x Drennan Match Reel Bag £6.50
1x Dinsmores 7 Compartment Square Super Soft Shots, Size: SSG, AAA, BB, 1, 4, 6 & 8 £8.25
1x Korda Anti Tangle Sleeves, Colour: WEED £3.49
2x Sonubaits Worm Fishmeal 2kg £6.99
1x Middy Top Notch Inter, Model: V Insert £4.99
1x Middy Topnotch Specimen V Rest £4.99

Subtotal £272.82

:)

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Just ordered

1x Daiwa 18 TDR Reel, Size: 3012 QD £189.99
1x Maxima Chameleon - Maxi Spool, Breaking Strain: 4lb, Length: 600m £13.49
1x Maxima Chameleon - Maxi Spool, Breaking Strain: 6lb, Length: 600m £15.65
2x Drennan Match Reel Bag £6.50
1x Dinsmores 7 Compartment Square Super Soft Shots, Size: SSG, AAA, BB, 1, 4, 6 & 8 £8.25
1x Korda Anti Tangle Sleeves, Colour: WEED £3.49
2x Sonubaits Worm Fishmeal 2kg £6.99
1x Middy Top Notch Inter, Model: V Insert £4.99
1x Middy Topnotch Specimen V Rest £4.99

Subtotal £272.82

:)

If it's any consolation I've just payed £700(ish) to angling direct lol.

Zerkalo

If it's any consolation I've just payed £700(ish) to angling direct lol.

Wow! Some big purchases then? I'm trying to spread mine out over a few months...

worked out a shopping list at the start of the year and worked out I was only up to about a grand when I had everything I wanted but have tended to go for higher spec things than intended and always bulk out purchases by browsing for bits I think I need.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Wow! Some big purchases then? I'm trying to spread mine out over a few months...

worked out a shopping list at the start of the year and worked out I was only up to about a grand when I had everything I wanted but have tended to go for higher spec things than intended and always bulk out purchases by browsing for bits I think I need.

Yeah I'm same but there's always more lol, just ordered the 4012 TDR I was after plus some line, then because I've been drinking splashed out on the 13ft Tournament SLR I've been eyeing up and probably should have bought the cheaper Cast'izm rod instead. Then because it doesn't come with a sleeve bought a 4 rod holdall.

Probably regret it come morning :)

Zerkalo

Those SLR rods look dreamy, sure you will love it! A few beers and I always spend money I haven't got though!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Wow some cash splashed by the pair of you there!

I struggle to spend much whilst the weather stops me getting on the bank as both don't currently need the stuff and I don't really like spending money on things just to sit unless it's to get an offer price but as soon as the weather lets me get out fishing regularly the wallet will open again properly! Got 3 rod purchases (at least 1 certainty) and possibly 1 reel in mind for this year that would push me near £500 if all bought plus getting out fishing regularly again will obviously see me spending on terminal tackle again.

Half tempted to get a separate much cheaper rod now whilst there's an offer on but should really have a rummage in the garage for suitable reel to match it first.

Zerkalo

Yeh for me my Acolyte purchase is waiting until August when my Bream lake opens again. Handling the TDR at the Big One Show today though it felt like a quality reel so am pleased with my purchase, obviously will have to use it a few times before I truly rate it but should be a happy bunny.

Zerkalo

My order arrived today. Very glad I got the TDR over the TDM having looked at them both at the Big One show. Both decent looking reels but playing with the TDR just now it seems like a quality reel.

2020-03-03 13.14.33.jpg

Now time to spool it up with some 4 and 6lb Maxima. :)

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Got mine too :) Just spooled up with 8.8lb Pulse Pro, line lay is immaculate straight out of the box with the 4012.
Swallows a lot of line though, wish they made a shallower match spool for it.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Looks good.

And yeah my 2500 ninja swallowed a whole 300m spool of 5lb hyper sensor! Unfortunately it’s just something you have to deal with on multi functional reels from multi nationals like daiwa and shimano.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Unfortunately it’s just something you have to deal with on multi functional reels from multi nationals like daiwa and shimano.

Or you can deliberately pick out the models from either brand that have shallower spools.