TDR vs TDM

Zerkalo

Much difference between these two reels? Like the look of the TDR but the TDM is £50 cheaper... will be buying one in 3012 size.

Cheers

nejohn

Site Supporter
The TDR is undoubtedly better spec'd but in the real world could you tell the difference unless you were fishing every day and really hammering your reels. I have been using TDM's for about 4 years now and not had a problem with them.....both great reels and should give many years good service (bobco doing TDM's for £70)

Matt Simmy

Matress
Site Supporter
Ive had both and much prefer the tdr. Smoother and a better ‘feel’ to them. Handle them both and you will realise. Tdr is a much dearer reel tho

Zerkalo

Thanks for replies. I was even considering a cheaper Daiwa option previously, either a Ninja or EM MS which were on sale but I'm thinking I might as well go for a nice high spec reel. At the moment the TDR is taking my fancy, it looks like it has a nice build with quick drag and nice metal line clip. So I might as well go for the TDR when I can afford it in a week or two. Though I could probably get 3 Ninjas for the same price.

PAB

Site Supporter
I have some of the Daiwa 18 TDR QD 2508 Double Handled and find them ok I bought them as a replacement for my old shimanos for me but I still prefer my old shimano bait runners the XT 2500 FA so I sent them all for a five star service the best reels I have ever used bar none I simply love em but with time I may get used to and love the TDR's.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
TDR for me. If it's the new TDMs they feel a bit cheap and plasticy you can "feel" the extra money when you pick up and start winding a TDR.

My plan is to get either a 3012 or 4012 TDR this year for the mid range feeder.

Zerkalo

Nice one. Do like the look of TDRs.

@PAB What's the equivalent in Shimano around 3000 size now, and are baitrunners good for float fishing as well as light feeder work?

I bought my first Baitrunner a couple of months ago, a DL 4000FB and think it is good for what I bought it for although maybe would have gone for a 6000 size for Barbel fishing.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
With a quick drag reel a baitrunner is not really needed tbh, can go from free spool to pretty much locked up in half a turn.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah no need for a bait runner for float fishing or light feeder fishing as long as you have the clutch set right and are watching your rod

PAB

Site Supporter
Nice one. Do like the look of TDRs.

@PAB What's the equivalent in Shimano around 3000 size now, and are baitrunners good for float fishing as well as light feeder work?

I bought my first Baitrunner a couple of months ago, a DL 4000FB and think it is good for what I bought it for although maybe would have gone for a 6000 size for Barbel fishing.
I have no problem using a small bait runner for any type of fishing float included the Shimano Stradic looks ok at about £100 in the 3000 size I always go for a slightly smaller reel as I find them more comfortable to use that is just a personal thing though and some of my best fish have been landed on small reels.

Zerkalo

Yeah I love my Shimano 2500 Catana reel, very responsive rear drag on it. Landed me most of the fish I've caught recently.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
In terms of float reels I have the shimano Sahara 2500 which is about the same size as my drennan 7 series float 300 but bigger than my ninja 2500 so it’s always best to have a look at reels either in person or at least a photo of one on a rod if you are particular about the size.

Zerkalo

3000 in the TDR I think will do me for commercial waggler and feeder fishing and also as a Bream reel. I reckon I can trust being a high spec it will be light at that size as probably not going to get a chance to handle one before I buy.

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
305/315g depending on single or double handle pretty good weight for float or feeder imo.

Zerkalo

Cheers for replies. Have noticed the TDX is 'magsealed', does that make much difference? The TDX is even more expensive. Reading reviews of it though, no folding handle so think I'm better with a TDR.

Last edited:

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
I considered a TDX but lack of the one touch folding handle killed it for me. Surprised that reel didn't get a refresh this year, nearly 5 years old now.

Calo0288

If you are still interested for a shimano reel, they will be releasing a new stradic/twin power in the next couple of weeks if I'm not mistaken. May already be released even. They are in a similar price range as the TDR/TDX.

I myself use the previous model of the TDR reels and am very pleased with them. They still run as smooth as the first time I purchased them.