T'Cut again.......Different Section

JohnL

Site Supporter
Back to the canal again for a last days fishing before work starts again on Tuesday. having proved to myself I could catch at Horton I decided to try a different stretch, I fished the All Cannings section at Woodway Bridge (Bridge 128). I think this is the same peg (or within 20 yds) that @Chavey1 fished for an article for one of the magazines, could I emulate a quality matchman?

I had the same bait as last time, Casters (casta's, caarsters, castors, but no wafters or woofters :oops:), pinkies, flouro maggots, and squatts for my gbait, plus punch and licky. Gbait usual 50/50 Canal Black and Gardon dry sieved and slightly overwetted to make it go down. Started on the punch, and caught but only 30 to the lb fish, so only gave it 1/2 an hour. I had fed gbait and caster down the track and was pinging 10 to 15 caster to the far bank every 15 mins. Down the track I was able to catch small roach on any bait, they were not hook shy but definitely bait shy, a single on the hook worked but struggled for bites on double. I had a decent hybrid probably 8 ozs and then the first boat arrived. This wiped out the track line so I gave it 10 mins to settle and refed. Overall I had 7 boats, including a pair that were tied together side by side which only just managed to squeeze through between the far side and the boats moored on the towpath, this also wiped out my far line.

The rest of the day was spent switching between far line and track, I caught slowly but regularly including 2 bonus fish, a hybrid that probably went 2 1/2 lbs and a big perch in the same region (photos below, the landing net is 18" for comparison), I packed up after catching the perch. Some of the caster roach from the far bank went 6/8 ozs but mostly chunky little fish, plus a couple of 6 oz perch.

The weather and the boats made it difficult, however I had an enjoyable day. All tackle packed away but don't know when I am going to be able to clean and dry it properly but will sort out the pole and topkits tomorrow.

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

IMG_1807.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail-1.jpg

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

Happy New Year to everybody, tight lines !!

In light of convincing myself I can still catch a few, I have taken the overly ambitious step of signing up for a silver fish league. 6 matches in total, 3 on the canal, 1 at Avalon Fishery, 1 at Todber Manor and a final match at Crookwood Fishery which belongs to Devizes AA. My one ambition is not to finish last............................The competition includes the Sensa Devies MG squad (they only won Div 1 this year), plus a sprinkling of Garbolino Blackmore Vale team members. If there is anyone with any sympathy, please help when I'm looking for info for Avalon and Todber.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Good stuff again you really are doing the business on that canal pretty much every time you go very well fished indeed. I don’t half wish our canal was that good!

Btw I saw this video yesterday and thought of you. Not terribly relevant to now as looks like November latest maybe even October but a good watch in relation to autumn fishing on it.

Total

Site Supporter
@JohnL .....John, PM @dave brittain 1 definitely about Todber and possibly Avalon, if not he will sort you out with someone who can help with Avalon....(y)

Our Chris @Maesknoll also has fished Avalon a number of times and has recorded matches on his blog at Maesknoll Match Angling....Again another valuable source of information....(y)

Last edited:

JohnL

Site Supporter
@Total , thanks mate ;) Chris gave me some info early last year but my head wasn’t in the match, I think I started fishing too soon after losing my wife. I fished like an ar*e, lost the 13m section of my Sig Pro and then didn’t even thank him, I should eat humble pie and pm an apology to him. I’ll contact @dave brittain 1 closer to the date and hopefully he can give me some inside info. Thanks again(y)

Total

Site Supporter
@Total , thanks mate ;) Chris gave me some info early last year but my head wasn’t in the match, I think I started fishing too soon after losing my wife. I fished like an ar*e, lost the 13m section of my Sig Pro and then didn’t even thank him, I should eat humble pie and pm an apology to him. I’ll contact @dave brittain 1 closer to the date and hopefully he can give me some inside info. Thanks again(y)
Nothing to do with 'humble pie' John, just good manners to thank these gentleman for their time and expertise....Both said gentleman are decent 'sorts' in my experience and have helped me in the past....Good luck with your silvers league and be sure to let us know how you got on...(y).....Happy New year to you....(y)

tincatim

Site Supporter
Nice session and report there mate. I’d quite like to fish a canal like that one. My local is of the 30m wide, 10ft deep kind!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Nice session and report there mate. I’d quite like to fish a canal like that one. My local is of the 30m wide, 10ft deep kind!
I’ve only fished it once but from that session and tales of my dad fishing it in yesteryear and most general reports on it pleasure and match wise I reckon the K&A is probably the best canal in the country consistency wise. Just seems full of good fish.

Worth a go on your canal though have certainly seen some good YouTube videos on those big canals 👍🏻

tincatim

Site Supporter
@tincatim What canal do you fish?
The South Yorkshire Navigation canal, although I haven’t fished it this year, I’ve had some good days on it in the summer.

Edit: this is the one…

I’m not quite as good an angler as Alan though. It’s a great canal to be fair, but I do miss the smaller canals that I used to fish.

JohnL

Site Supporter
I never fished that when I lived outside donny, was always New Junction or the Stainy.