Targeting Tench and Bream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolo

My commercial is stocked with Carp, crucian, tench, bream, chub but you only seem to catch the carp. I personally love Tench and Bream and have only caught a few at my commercial but would love to catch some more, how do you target the tench and bream mainly? don't get me wrong, I do love catching carp but would like to catch some more tench and bream. I fish using the pole and find the margins are most effective.

Any help?

Cheers.

Last edited:

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Are there any commercials with NO carp apart from crucians ?

I'd use it, for one!

Introducing carp has ruined a few good tench fisheries I know, the most disastrous was Welham near Malton.
[V]

Fishnets

Try fishing further away from all the known features, simple open ended feeder, no pellets and try different ground baits with little or no free offerings. Comercial carp go for the know areas and regular feed. Try a much longer hook link aswell as the carp activly attack feeders so put your bait further fromk it.
Worth a try, i've picked out lots of tench and bream avoiding carp like this. machinegun.gif

bream fisherman

You could try using smaller baits like single red maggot. The bream in our favourite local lake will take the single red and the carp tend to leave alone, yet if you put three or four on the hook the reverse is true. worth a try. also look for the deeper swims with fewer features. and use groundbait in a feeder with few if any free offerings.

You might want to try fishing with the wind in your face as well as bream tend to follow the wind. Bit more uncomfortable but generally it works.

Lee999

Leeroy
I fish a commercial which has some big tench in but not many. I find putting in a lot of red maggot and fishing corn over the top catches the tench. A bit of groundbait wouldn't hurt either.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
For the bream I'd try an open water swim (away from features) find a nice deep place, feed heavily to get a carpet down and try various smaller baits (worm, corn, small pellet - single and cocktail) hard on the bottom. Top up with feeder or pole cup only - dont feed by catapult to avoid drawing the carp in.

The tench are a tough one. Assuming you've tried the obvious tench features then go similar to the bream approach and consider red maggot, red corn and lots of worm in the feed.

However, I fish a couple of venues with a good head of carp where catching the bream and tench (which are present but in smaller numbers) by design is very difficult. I've found it best to fish paste or pellet and just catch whatever comes along. You get the bream and tench mixed in, and just add to the variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.