Targeting silvers on a natural water (Esthwaite, Nr Windermere)

rapanui

I've fished Esthwaite a few times, mostly in he autumn. I fished pretty much as you suggest - 12ft medium tip rod, medium cage feeder (consider that it is quite deep, so perhaps close some holes our use a window feeder), 14 hook. Bites can take a while to come, but constant casting usually finds some good perch and then roach, skimmers and hybrids. Great fishing set against one of the best backdrops anywhere. One other thing - if you have a platform or box with legs so much the better as you might want to wade in to fish.

Tinca Mad

Site Supporter
Thanks guys! This will be me returning to coarse angling after ten years away although I’ve sea fishing the past couple.

I’m gradually buying my kit back and have a lovely Zebco Rhino Special feeder rod I’ve bought (same as that I had 10 years ago) which is 12ft and casts upto 100grams so should be ideal for these purposes. Used to spend a week in the summer by derwentwater watching a shoal of roach pass through twice a day, my pb definitely came from there (right chunks) but it was a waiting game for a handful of fish!
That's interesting as I wondered how good those rods would be.
I have the Zebco Rhino DF Premium Special Heavy Match 13ft 12-30g Rod.
It's a brilliant rod with a lovely action, screw down reel seat, nice guides and I've had a 12lb Carp on 4lb Maxima on it.
There were some Zebco feeder rods on eBay about 2mths ago and went for a song.
I think I'll keep my eye out for some now :upthumb:

Thom

That's interesting as I wondered how good those rods would be.
I have the Zebco Rhino DF Premium Special Heavy Match 13ft 12-30g Rod.
It's a brilliant rod with a lovely action, screw down reel seat, nice guides and I've had a 12lb Carp on 4lb Maxima on it.
There were some Zebco feeder rods on eBay about 2mths ago and went for a song.
I think I'll keep my eye out for some now :upthumb:
Back when they came out I used my special feeder for everything from touch legering for ‘bits’ through to lobbing massive method feeders to the far bank of my local ponds. It never seemed phased. It made a lovely all round rod so when I saw this come up locally for £20 I had it!

corkycat

Thom, I have attached some photos I took when I was up at Esthwaite last summer. This is peg number 2 that I was telling you about. As you can see, the margins are shallow enough to plonk a chair or box a good six yards out into the water without a platform, although you would be able to sit at the water's edge without being bothered by overhanging trees. You'll also see my car parked right behind the peg. Luxury!

Attachments

• 20200803_140100.jpg
    20200803_140100.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200803_084608.jpg
    20200803_084608.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200803_090932.jpg
    20200803_090932.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200803_084543.jpg
    20200803_084543.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 15

Thom

Thom, I have attached some photos I took when I was up at Esthwaite last summer. This is peg number 2 that I was telling you about. As you can see, the margins are shallow enough to plonk a chair or box a good six yards out into the water without a platform, although you would be able to sit at the water's edge without being bothered by overhanging trees. You'll also see my car parked right behind the peg. Luxury!
That’s brilliant info mate thank you! This may be the spot for us! Hopefully it’s fishy enough!